Go get a job

If pets were to be updated to be more utilitarian what would they do? Would they have upgrade paths? Would it extend to the horse?

Suggestion for the horse is saddle bags. It would be basically a portable shipping bin for 9 items. Another is endurance training. It allows your horse to move faster and hop over small obstacles like debris

Dog. Sniffer the dog runs to artifact points and forage and barks. Digger the dog will dig up a artifact point and bring it to you. Healing nuzzle during combat if you drop to red the dog gives a +25 to health once daily.

Cat. Pounce will dispatch low level enemies and bring you back monster loot. Guardians of the grave mummies and ghost will not come within 4 tiles of the cat. Ambush will tackle a crow and leave a seed from the destroyed crop

There are already some ideas for the horse and more usefulness for cat or dog...
And I would really like to see such upgrade training paths! Also for the ostrich to get it rideable (suggested already too)!

My apology my post is too long...

I would rather be a farmer and work together with my pets on my farm.
REALISTICALLY,

I was wondering if I could have 1 barn cat and 2 dogs on my farm.

My barn cat could do mice or rats population control.

In real life, there are 2 different farm-type dogs.
- one is a shepherd dog that could do some herding. - making sure that all the farm animals are not wandering around or lost.
- other one is a livestock guard dog that could bark loudly at the prey.

Guardian dog (the brave dog that is not afraid of wolves or other prays)

Shepherd dog (watching out the livestock like a boss)

Barn Cat (the great assassin)

Last edited:
:sweat: Oh... I realized that a German Sheperd can be a guard dog......
was originally also a shepherd dog as wellllll.

UPDATE: OHHH some source said that a german shepherd may NOT be a great shepherd dog !!!!!

Last edited:
@Laissez_Faire_Farming
Those pictures are so great! The cat picture stands out! I love the Shepherd and Guardian Dogs!

I know in World's Dawn your dog can get stuff from the stores for you. Kindda like you attach a note and money to the dogs collar and the dog brings the stuff home.
While a decent enough idea it falls a little flat for me. Just imagine you put in too much money and Morris instead of giving change keeps it? No, thanks.

The idea of the animals helping out with farm work, however is great. And plenty opportunities to have adorable pet moments! But, on the cat note it would be nice if the cat scares crows from attacking your crops. It just seems like a good addition. Not that the cat should be a scarecrow; just that I do not think a sane crow would land next to a cat to steal your parsnips and such...

Kurachi84

Planter
Dog: Keeps away wolves in case Barn and/or Coop being open at night, can sometimes bring a gift it digs up, like ore(depending on your Mining skill), Fiber, Artifact(especially some of the fossils), a common ring, some of the boots, bunch of clay, maybe after leveling up a skill, or a special training, would make it also find rare things like Diamond, some crop seeds.

Cat: Keeps away crows, can bring light weighted gifts like small fish, also ore (cats love playing with small things), Fiber(cats take everything home, including branches and such), light weighted artifacts like Chewing Stick, Rusty Spur, Dried Starfish etc.
After training or maybe giving some kind of Catnip(new item added!), it can find better stuff like Ancient Seed, somewhat bigger fish, stuff like algae and seaweed, small fruits and vegetables, forage of the current season that, maybe an egg... your cat loves you enough by now, that it won't eat or destroy the egg.

Horse: Secondary function being like a scarecrow including the same range, gives you or drops horseshoe which would be useful or worth money.
When trained it can go faster with a buff for like a minute which has a cooldown of 5 minutes, protects animals against wolves, keeps crows away, when riding you sometimes see something on the floor, then you can grab it... might be a snail or such, or ore, some artifacts, some Minerals, and maybe when riding it while picking up forage, you get a higher quality(no iridium, but always one level of quality higher when it's below gold) or double harvest, if not using Gatherer and Botanist, maybe a bird outside would drop something when riding near it when it flies away.

All should be able to fight a bit when "upgraded" on farms with monsters, and at least decrease the chance of crows and wolves by a bit.
Maybe quests related to your pet and horse could be added that give something nice, be it money or something else useful.

Well, here's a list, i'm not saying they should all be added, but some nice(imo) ideas.

I want to add something. Some sources said that crows are capable to fight cats.
There is the possibility that the crows can kill the cats.
Why not leave the scarecrow to do the job?
Cats can exterminate others things.

Well, in game crows seem to fly solo. I like it that way, leave the murders at the roost. I just can't imagine a crow gutsy enough to land next to a cat, for your crops. For the most part your scarecrow is well paid to, well scare crows. It's paid by being made, that's my logic and I'm sticking with it!
I like the idea that the pets will bring you stuff in a sense, very Minecrafty. But training makes sense. Very reminiscent or Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. Should there be a pet day to show off your pets training so you can earn something special too? While adding a new event day is not ideal, The training does sound nice. In Tale of Two Towns the pets would take certain animals out. Such as the cat would take out chickens and the number of chickens it corralled depended on how much the cat liked you and how skilled it was.
Frankly, I just liked training the animals because it was an adorable animation....

Attack training animation. Harvey is in his room on the cb radio. You have a Lazer pointer and some stuffed animal mock ups. Point the pointer and it pounces. You get a devilish grin and point it to Harveys foot. *Naruto battle music plays* the cat pounces on his foot Harvey jumps hits the desk. The headphones unplug and Harvey was revealed to be listening to Goroian speed metal. The more you know about a person

Kurachi84

Planter
I want to add something. Some sources said that crows are capable to fight cats.
There is the possibility that the crows can kill the cats.
Why not leave the scarecrow to do the job?
Cats can exterminate others things.
1. I was using what the game has right now, with a few exceptions, but not new stuff for a whole bunch of new content.
Exterminating something else, means that we'd need something added ingame, and that has to do some stuff, too.
2. I'm living in a game, not IRL, and in SDV crows don't attack anything other than crops... and death of the pet isn't part of SDV at all.
I have seen someone else mention that the crows in SDV are alone, and that's another point.

I just came with ideas, and maybe we could choose between what we want ingame if and when this would be in SDV... so choose between one of the ideas i had, and others, so you'd do what you find more logical.
Man, i've seen this a lot lately, that people take SDV as real life, while escaping said real life through SDV... sorry, i don't see that logic at all.

At least come up with counters for ingame, not in real life.
I wanted to keep it simple, and cats chase and/or attack birds, so had that idea. No further details from the life we try to escape at times, to keep our sanity alive.
With options, if choosing for something else, you can use the scarecrows while picking another choice.

You can even choose to not "buff" your pet and horse... maybe that'd be a thing for people who want hard mode, too, like no Professions, just level ups on skills.
I just don't get what the point is of looking at smaller details, while these are just general ideas.

Kurachi84

Planter
@Kurachi84
I swear I have no negative feeling about what you said.
We are enjoying the discussion.
Like you said it's SV anyway.

There is no right and wrong in the discussion. It's all about talking.
I get that, i just don't understand how some people tend to take it very seriously, some even take stuff in political ways.
I wasn't expecting this when i was playing SDV my first year, as it's just a relaxation game, and there came lot of hate from people taking stuff out of context.
It's not a huge thing, but may give SDV a bad rep, and maybe eventually hostile haters, while it's so good to play the game when stressed out.
It helps people create another world, and get away from our crazy one IRL.

But here i just got confused about the more realistic info about crows, and wasn't sure why it was mentioned.
It seemed like some kind of "I rather have it realistic" comment to me.
No hate, just confusion... i just have been exhausted for a long time, and since exactly(22nd or 23rd of august) 1 month ago, my father that i cared for for year, has passed.
Sorry if i sounded angry... typing doesn't make sounds and facial expressions, so i guess it's how people type and read it.

@Kurachi84 I am sorry about what you are going through, sounds like you are still processing. It was only 6 years ish ago that my own dad passed away. He'd been sick for a few years and I had to look after him. After he passed it took me a few months before I really started adjusting. Feel free to private message me if you want to talk.

I know that a lot of people seem so serious and involved with this game to the point of intimidation! It is scary! I like having fun and taking my time playing it, really this is code for; I have too much to stress out about and don't need one to be a game that's supposed to be fun. LOL :wink: But some people are so high strung about it that opening up dialogue can seem like a herculean task. If you want to know what type of vocals to even try putting to me by the way, super off topic, try for one that is not totally serious :wink:!! I may type like it's all business, but that's just an illusion; named grammar.

Frankly I like the not realistic quality of Stardew Valley, but I am up for super cute animations for the animals... Seriously think about it, the cat runs into the chicken coop carrying out a chicken, alive and healthy, in it's mouth! LOL That actually is the animation from Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns! It was cute and funny :laugh: but possibly for all the wrong reasons... all the same the concept was nice. I also think the pet is immortal and would like it to be/ stay that way. I hope the farm animals are too...

Kurachi84

Planter
Thanks for the nice replies, it only started about small details from IRL to be in a game i play to escape said IRL.
Not knowing it could spin around so much.
But anyway, i'm happy it's all corrected, and with each misunderstanding i grow, and become more careful in the future.

I'll end it right here, so we can continue the thread's original topic, thanks :)