Fruits for greenhouse

Paco LS

Greenhorn
Hello! I discovered this game a few weeks ago, is amazing I love it. I've got the greenhouse now, and I'd like to ask you what is the best fruits for the greenhouse.

imnvs

Local Legend
That depends on how much work you want to do.

Either way, you should have at least 1 of every fruit tree in there eventually. (Plan for 8 different fruit trees, only 6 are purchasable from Pierre, but later you should come across 2 more elsewhere.)

Then, there are three main strategies most employ...

1, fruit trees only around the outside wall, in the tillable space are hops with space left to get between the trellises and ancient fruit in all remaining tillable space. (This is the most work.)

2, a grid of fruit trees and all remaining tillable space with ancient fruit.

3, fruit trees only around the outside wall, and all ancient fruit in the tillable space. (Least amount of work.)

Worblehat

Planter
Then the answer is "the most valuable crop you can get seeds for". And also, "it doesn't matter very much because you'll just replace them with Ancient Fruit as soon as you get access to it."

You can definitely get those six fruit trees going along the outside walls. Plant some extra peach and pomegranate trees if you like. You can fit up to 18 trees in the area outside the tillable space.

Unless you really like planting, you're probably going to want a crop that you can harvest over and over again, typically one of the berries. Do you have a seed maker? If you do, and you saved some strawberries from Spring, run those through and plant the seeds. If you don't, just plant whatever the best multiple harvest crop from your current season is. A few coffee plants never hurt if you have the beans for it. As imnvs said, hops can be extremely valuable if you have the kegs to turn it all into pale ale. Otherwise, cranberries are probably your best choice. Or you could visit the Desert every two weeks and plant lots of Starfruit. That will make you a lot of money, but having to replant every time is a major pain.

imnvs

Local Legend
And what about strawberries?
Strawberries were something he recommended, yes. If you have any seeds left from spring, or if you have any strawberries left and have seed makers so you can get seeds... go ahead and plant some. I'd recommend hops if you want to make some real money, though. You could do rows of hops with rows of strawberries between them. Then, when you get ancient fruit you could remove strawberries to put in the ancient fruit.

Still... this all sounds strange to me. I have never got the greenhouse before finding my first ancient seed. Because I always have at least 1 ancient seed and 1 coffee bean by the time I get the greenhouse, my preferred layout is about 20 coffee plants (in order to keep up with my caffeine habit) and the rest in ancient fruit. I usually have 1 of every fruit tree unless that fruit is used in cooking, in which case I will have 2 of that fruit tree... and then I fill in the rest with bananas. This results in 2 apricots, 2 apples, 2 mangos, 1 pomegranate, 1 peach, 1 orange, 1 cherry, 8 bananas.

Reactions: Tom

Paco LS

Greenhorn
Ok thanks for your advice. I'm reading and watching some videos about ancient fruit... It's very difficult to find it

Ok thanks for your advice. I'm reading and watching some videos about ancient fruit... It's very difficult to find it
Some ways to find it easier:

* Grind level 11-29 in the mines, specifically any bugs. There's a low percent chance you'll get an artifact 'ancient seed'. Turning this in to the museum nets you a version which can be planted
* Seed Maker. There's a 0.5% chance of any seed coming out to be an ancient seed. Which sounds low, and it is, but not insurmountable. For example, a field of blueberries would generate hundreds of berries to run through the seed maker. Multiple seed makers would be a good idea for this strategy. This also nets you more money than selling blueberries by themselves, although less than using preserves jars.

Reactions: Tom

Boo1972

Farmer
I thought Wickedy Chickedy’s video on ancient fruit was really good. You might want look it up.

I second Shneekey’s advice about insect swarms. I have found many an ancient seed that way. But I’ve found them fishing as well. If you enjoy fishing you might find one in a treasure chest.

It’s okay to plant the plants you have on hand in the greenhouse. You can change it up whenever you want to. I have a new save file and in spring year 2 the greenhouse has 48 starfruit, 10 each of coffee, cranberries, blueberries and strawberries. The balance is ancient fruit. I’ll probably keep it this way for awhile until I become bored and decide to switch things around.

Starfruit are the most profitable fruit to plant, if you can process them, and presuming you don't have a greenhouse full of ancient fruit yet. Even when you do have access to ancient fruit, it's actually pretty close between the two, and you do lose some money switching over to ancient fruit, just so you know. The path I almost always go down is to do Starfruit everywhere I don't yet have Ancient Fruit down, and to switch the Greenhouse over to Ancient Fruit, but not for direct profit but rather to turn it into an Ancient Seed farm. Were I not interested in planting Ancient Fruit in large quantities outdoors in future years, I'd likely just leave it at Starfruit and call it good, knowing what I currently do about the relative profit rates.

Congrats on the Ancient Seeds, and just know that whatever you decide to do the Greenhouse will absolutely rake in the profits, I hope you enjoy!

MissDandy

Farmer
This thread is really long already and I didn't get the time to read it all through, so I hope I don't repeat anything that has already been said! (My apologies if I do.)

I always keep empty spaces in the greenhouse incase I need to grow a plan out of season. It has helped me so many times! Aside from that, I would use ancient fruit (when you get it) because this is a plant that keeps producing. It can probably save you a lot in the long run. However, I would only do this if your main goal was strictly productivity.

This is what I have personally done. I do have my ancient fruits planted (five of them in there) but I have pretty much five or more of every plant that reproduces. It's not very profitable, but it sure is helpful if you want to focus on missions and friendship hearts with villagers (as quite a few of them love some sort of fruit or veggie.) Then I have my empty spaces, three of them because that's all I've found I needed. The reason I didn't fully utilize the greenhouse for productivity is because I figured that, especially in late game, you have sooooo much space to plant the fruits that you can keg/preserve to make your big bucks. I didn't really think that the greenhouse was going to be the place to make your money, thus mine is for convenience and not productivity. Mind you, in early game it might be nice to use the greenhouse to make money as there is no limits on seasons. And don't forget, you can always replan, replant, replant!

This is just my opinion but maybe you can use it to decide what you want to do with your greenhouse. I hope you find it helpful! :D

Paco LS

Greenhorn
I have my new ancient fruit growing in the greenhouse, but I can see a problem: only one fruit for week. So, if I want 100 ancient plants, it will be hard. So please, how I can have a lot of ancient seeds in a little time? Sorry for my English 😉

imnvs

Local Legend
I have my new ancient fruit growing in the greenhouse, but I can see a problem: only one fruit for week. So, if I want 100 ancient plants, it will be hard. So please, how I can have a lot of ancient seeds in a little time? Sorry for my English 😉
The same way we all get our ancient fruit. We wait the month for the first one to come out... and we put it in the seed maker. We plant more seeds. A week later we're putting the next ancient fruit in the seed maker. It takes a little while, but after two seasons when you start getting more and more to put into the seed maker, the process starts speeding up.

And don't worry. Your English is pretty good, mate. You're doing fine. 👍

Paco LS

Greenhorn
[QUOTE = "imnvs, publicación: 50741, miembro: 3771"]
De la misma manera que todos obtenemos nuestra fruta antigua. Esperamos el mes a que salga el primero ... y lo metemos en el semillero. Plantamos más semillas. Una semana después, colocamos la siguiente fruta antigua en el productor de semillas. Lleva un poco de tiempo, pero después de dos temporadas, cuando comienza a poner más y más en la máquina de semillas, el proceso comienza a acelerarse.

Y no se preocupe. Tu inglés es bastante bueno, amigo. Lo estás haciendo bien.👍
[/QUOTE]
Thank you friend! How long does it take? I need about 100 old seeds for the greenhouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend killing mass quantities of bugs and / or grubs in the early floors of the mines. On average you get 1 ancient seed for every 200 grubs / bugs killed, and if you happen to get a couple of them you're saving yourself like 2 months time because of how the math works out. It's most effective to bounce between the 15, 25, and 0 floors and just kill any near the elevator in terms of getting as many as possible just fwiw. Not something which can be relied on and you don't get much out of it but if you want an option that isn't just waiting, this is your best one. Good luck!

Paco LS

Greenhorn
I have one ancient plant now in my greenhouse, but I don't know how many time takes to produce around 100 seeds.

imnvs

Local Legend
I have one ancient plant now in my greenhouse, but I don't know how many time takes to produce around 100 seeds.
There is a small element of randomness that prevents me from giving you an exact number... but if you get the average of 2 seeds per fruit every time, in 3 seasons/months you'll be planting somewhere around your 90th plant.

It is a geometric progression. Remember also that you can get multiple seeds per fruit you put in a Seed Maker. On average, you get two. So here's an example progression

Week 4: 1 fruit (2 seeds)
Week 5: 1 fruit (2 more seeds)
Week 6: 1 fruit (2 more seeds)
Week 7: 1 fruit (2 more seeds)
Week 8: 3 fruit (6 seeds)
Week 9: 5 fruit (10 seeds)
Week 10: 7 fruit (14 seeds)
Week 11: 9 fruit (18 seeds)
Week 12: 15 fruit, so 30 seeds planted
Week 13: 25 fruit, at this point you're almost done re-planting and just waiting on the rest to finish growing, because that's another 50 seeds
Week 14, 39 fruit
Week 15: 57 fruit
Week 16: 87 fruit
Week 17: All 116 Ancient Fruit is now fully bloomed and you are ready to start processing

That is, of course, assuming a single seed and an average of two seeds per fruit.

The upside is that if you want to plant outside on Spring 1 for a year's crops, you can run a week's worth of fruit through a Seed Maker for a couple hundred fruit.