Fresh grass for animals

shurpresa

Tiller
Hello there! First post here, a newbie player, if this is not the correcto place, let me know please.

What range does the animals have for searching for wild grass?
I have a full coop and a small barn and I have so much trouble to find enough fiber to make grass for them :S

ALso winter is coming and I have 12 animals, that means that i need 12x28=336 of hay for the full winter right? 1 animal 1 hay per day?

Thank you so much for reading me! Bye!

imnvs

Local Legend
First, your animals will range as far as they need to in order to find grass, if there is any on your farm.

Second, your math is right for the amount of hay you'll need... except that on festival days (2 per season) your animals are considered fed without them eating any of the hay. That means you can subtract 24 from that number leaving you with only actually needing 312 (you should have multiplied 12*26).

Third and more, some tips...

In the area where you intend to pasture your animals, put 6 or more grass starter down all spaced out, and then put either a fence post, a statue, or any other outdoor decoration that can go on top of the grass... because that will protect that grass, preventing your animals from eating it, but allowing it to spread out from there regularly, providing food for your animals. (Grass spreads from where it is to nearby spaces, providing lots of nearby spaces next to grass is how you get grass growing faster.)

If you have a giant field of grass and the animals are only eating from one end, thin it out with the scythe but do not cut all of it down. Again, this collects hay so that you don't have to buy as much, and it provides spaces for the rest of the grass to expand back into.

When placing grass starter otherwise, do not plant clusters. It takes longer, but checkerboarding provides more coverage and a lot of possibility for it to fill itself in, saving you grass starter.

I find that I need my fiber for too many things. For that reason I do not craft grass starter. I just buy it. Ymmv.

Last edited:

shurpresa

Tiller
First, your animals will range as far as they need to in order to find grass, if there is any on your farm.

Second, your math is right for the amount of hay you'll need... except that on festival days (2 per season) your animals are considered fed without them eating any of the hay. That means you can subtract 24 from that number leaving you with only actually needing 312 (you should have multiplied 12*26).

Third and more, some tips...

In the area where you intend to pasture your animals, put 6 or more grass starter down all spaced out, and then put either a fence post, a statue, or any other outdoor decoration that can go on top of the grass... because that will protect that grass, preventing your animals from eating it, but allowing it to spread out from there regularly, providing food for your animals. (Grass spreads from where it is to nearby spaces, providing lots of nearby spaces next to grass is how you get grass growing faster.)

If you have a giant field of grass and the animals or only eating from one end, thin it out with the scythe but do not cut all of it down. Again, this collects hay so that you don't have to buy as much, and it provides spaces for the rest of the grass to expand back into.

When placing grass starter otherwise, do not plant clusters. It takes longer, but checkerboarding provides more coverage and a lot of possibility for it to fill itself in, saving you grass starter.

I find that I need my fiber for too many things. For that reason I do not craft grass starter. I just buy it. Ymmv.
Thank you so much for the tip and the math correction, I am going to buld a second hay building just in case I get more animals. I have plenty of space in my farm, but I am cutting down the trees yet, I will do that when I get an empty space big enough to be visiually nice ^^ gotta keep the aesthetics haha.
Cheers!