Fish Ponds

What type of fish do you like to keep in your fish ponds, and why?
Do you go after profit, or do you farm certain type of fish or items they produce?

I think I've got five ponds in the save file I'm playing right now - and most of them because I'm hoping for certain type of items!

For example I started a blobfish pond to see if I can get some pearls.
I also have a rainbow trout pond because I saw that you can get a prismatic shard! I know the chances are close to zero but I can be pretty delusional haha

Ginger Island fish:
And I just got a tiger slime egg from my lionfish pond, that was super satisfying! :cool:
Also they sell for 8,000g, so thats pretty neat, too!

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
Depends on the file and my goals.
Sometimes the ones that give different colours ( lava eel, slime jack, super cucumber, void salmon).

Usually I do crabs for the secret (you get a pearl from Willy if you have a full pond) and empty it afterwards.

Lobster for easy fishing food.

Blobfish and lava eel for the money (and spicy eel, but I get that mostly from the flying serpents anyway).

Sturgeon for the caviar.

One of the squids for squid ink.

Lew Zealand

Helper
OK when I play Stardew Valley, I have 2 requirements of the game:

Looks
Lazy

Tailoring and a themed or silly or just weird Farm design are the Looks part of the game for me. Colored Fish Ponds are frequently part of that.

This is my Ostrich Racetrack with vaguely themed areas. There is clearly a Low Tide-themed area, with associated Ponds and exquisite smells.

This is a not-current version of the Slime Ranch I share with Abby. There's currently an additional Hutch and Slimejack Pond in lower left and all Ponds except the central bottom 2 are green because the 2 blue ones are the Slime eyes, of course!

Low effort ways of doing as "much" as possible with minimum effort are the Lazy part. So on less-themed Farms I usually get Midnight Carp, Flounder, and Squid ponds to make as much Seafoam Pudding as possible to I can catch the Legends and Legend IIs (and Ice Pip and Octopus) as much as I want.

I definitely wanna play around with colored ponds more!
Oh and seems like I also need to get a crab pond hehe

OK when I play Stardew Valley, I have 2 requirements of the game:

Looks
Lazy
yeah those are things I like to keep in mind, too!
And I totally love your themed farms!! :junicheer:

I never thought of collecting the roe for the mines before, I always sell it right away if I don't put it in the preserves jar hahaha!

Since a fish pond takes 25 tiles, same as an entire iridium sprinkler, it's not really going to be that profitable. The unprocessed roe sells for twice the price of the fish (no quality star).
I don't really try hard for profit per tile, and got the fish farmer bundle this playthrough. I also was excited when 1.4 came out and did lots of ponds. There are several things about the ponds I really enjoy. The fish have a lot of personality! Their requests are fun and correlate to their type. Like the blobfish wants cookies & pizza!
I love their products too, which again, express their cute personalities. Ice pip give frozen geodes and frozen tears. Woodskip give acorns, wood, hardwood.
Depending what you need, the products can be really useful. I did crabs for the pearl and liked the beach totems so much I kept the crabs. The fish pond wiki page has the full list of what each fish gives. Totems, geodes, ore, gems, even trash!

There are several things about the ponds I really enjoy. The fish have a lot of personality! Their requests are fun and correlate to their type. Like the blobfish wants cookies & pizza!
I love their products too, which again, express their cute personalities. Ice pip give frozen geodes and frozen tears. Woodskip give acorns, wood, hardwood.
I love putting it this way, that's so cute!
my blobfish want rice pudding right now, I thought this was fitting because it's the same color as them!

I found an octopus in a trash can, so that's my first pond on my latest game. I'm using it to level up fishing skill. I did the rainbow trout pond on an older save, was very surprised when it produced a prismatic shard. I don't do skull cavern runs, so it was quite welcome.
That kinda feels to me like you adopted the octopus! :)
Oh you actually got the prismatic shard! I refuse to change the rainbow trouts before I get one!

I usually only use sturgeons and lava eel or sea cucumber.
Oh yeah sea cucumber for lots of Lucky Lunches!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I love putting it this way, that's so cute!
my blobfish want rice pudding right now, I thought this was fitting because it's the same color as them!

Oh you actually got the prismatic shard! I refuse to change the rainbow trouts before I get one!

Oh yeah sea cucumber for lots of Lucky Lunches!
Yeah since gold lucky lunch lasts the day and sea cucumber fish ponds produce every two days you only need 2 fishponds which isn’t too bad.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
!!!! You just gave me an idea! I'm using animals to represent monsters from Final Fantasy, and there are these bipedal cephalopods. I will have to make ponds for the two types of squid to round it out: Piscodemon, Squidlarkin, and Mindflare (Mindflayer).

I have to admit, though, the occasional omni geodes are a nice bonus.

imnvs

Local Legend
Lava eels, blobfish and ice pips because their roe is worth a lot and because they have nice alternate drops. Late game I'll have 2 of each of these.

Midnight carp, midnight squid and flounder for ingredients to make seafoam pudding. (The squid drops ink and I fish out the carp and flounder as needed.)

Eels for making spicy eel. (Again, fish them out as needed.)

Total of 10 fish ponds there, and I'm happy.

Rhiannon

Farmer
Honestly I just buy deluxe speedgro, on Thursdays sandy sells it for a dirt cheap 80g a pop as opposed to pierres 150g after year 1
One of my "rules" for myself is to become self-sufficient. I don't like having to buy ANYTHING that I could make or produce myself. So instead, I patiently save up the coral, save up the oak resin and make my own. Usually by the end of year 2, or maybe 3, I'm not buying seeds anymore.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
One of my "rules" for myself is to become self-sufficient. I don't like having to buy ANYTHING that I could make or produce myself. So instead, I patiently save up the coral, save up the oak resin and make my own. Usually by the end of year 2, or maybe 3, I'm not buying seeds anymore.
Nice! I don't have the patience to feed the seed maker all the time, so I buy most of my seeds. Sounds like a fun challenge otherwise, though!