Fish Pen

Akemisora

Planter
Seems like farms which have more build-able area are more popular than those which have less. One of things that decrease buildable area is water body. At this time, the only thing you can do with the water is placing crab pots.

So my idea is Fish Pen! This structure works the same as fish ponds, but in water. Ask Robin to build it for you. The materials might be wood intensive. Foot print size would be the same as fish pond (5x5).
images (5).jpeg

This way, Forest Farm, River Farm, Beach Farm, Wilderness Farm (I don't think Hilltop Farm's river is wide enough) might be more appealing to some players.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Since it's open water, would it be limited to what kind of fish it can hold depending on the salinity?

Ereo

Helper
Maybe it could be a saltwater tank you can only place on the beach farm, and a freshwater tank for the river farm? On the other hand, I water my crops with salt water all the time, so maybe the ocean isn't very salty at all in stardew.

I would love it if fishponds would actually go in the water.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay... but the Beach map is already plenty attractive. It has more available space than ANY other map, including Standard. It gets both beach and forest forage. It gets supply crates. It also has lots of expansive water in which to put the sort of thing proposed here.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Okay... but the Beach map is already plenty attractive. It has more available space than ANY other map, including Standard. It gets both beach and forest forage. It gets supply crates. It also has lots of expansive water in which to put the sort of thing proposed here.
The beach map is more squares than other maps right? idk it just feels larger, but i've yet to look into it.

imnvs

Local Legend
The beach map is more squares than other maps right? idk it just feels larger, but i've yet to look into it.
Yeah. That's what I meant when I said, "It has more available space than ANY other map, including Standard."

imnvs

Local Legend
Now you got me curious about the x,y stats
I don't know the actualy x/y dimensions, but according to those that counted and updated the wiki: the Beach farm has 2700 tillable tiles and 1928 non-tillable (total 4628) while the Standard farm has 3427 tillable and 235 non-tillable (total 3662).

1FlyCat

Planter
Not a bad idea. What about a less-intensive fishing methods too, like weirs or gill nets?

I say this because fish farms are not exactly environmentally friendly because of things like sea lice.

Akemisora

Planter
Yeah, salinity should be considered. Beach is sea water and the others are fresh water. It also might be logical to ban those fish that change water's color (lava eel, sea cucumber, void salmon, slimejack) It would be weird if there's different colored water in the middle of normal water.

Hopefully, this idea will encourage people to farm diverse type of fish.

liquidcat

Staff member
This might be really useful on river map and honestly I really love the idea of having structures similar to fish pond in water!

I could see this being a great addition. Not sure if salinity should come into play. I would think not but...

If it is added to Robin's shop, what would you think the requirements would be to build them? Seaweed, green algae, and stone are required to build fish ponds.