Does anyone use STEAM

ValleyGirl

Tiller
I need some advice on STEAM.

I have an account and my son has his own account too.

We want to purchase SDV so that we can set up a multiplayer game with two of his pals who already have the game in their steam accounts.

My question is, do I need to buy the game twice - one for my account and one for my son's account. Or can I buy the game once in my account and share it with my son for us both to use and play at the same time.

I already own the game on the Xbox and on my Android Tablet and it pains me to have to buy two more copies of it!

CrankyTemplar

Farmhand
You'd need to buy two copies to play simultaneously. I believe you could use family sharing to play at separate times with one copy, although I'm not familiar with it.

imnvs

Local Legend
If you bought only one copy and installed it to two different machines, you wouldn't be able to play together. You do need two copies, I'm afraid. If you were just playing local MP you would only need one, but since it'll be 4 of you, presumably not all playing on the same device, you'll need a copy for each.

Edit to add: I see from your other thread that you're playing on your tablet. That'll be a problem for MP... so you're needing to buy two more, new copies. Ouch.

Ereo

Helper
I think you would be able to play split screen co-op on one steam account, and could add two remote players. You just need a controller for the PC. Haven't tried it but that's what it says on the wiki.

ValleyGirl

Tiller
Ouch indeed! Luckily my Android copy can be shared to my sons tablet and as there is no multilayer option for mobile we can both play with just one copy of the game.

Playing on the xbox is coolant I play together with my son.

His pals though own the game via STEAM so in order to play with the we need to get it on the PC, but I think its worth investing in as playing multiplayer with the boys is always great fun.

In lockdown, in the height of homeschooling I set up a minecraft Realm and we had a few set hours during the week that was set aside for minecraft, playing in survival but also weekly build challenges that were related to school work or just for fun. I became the digital childcare option that was fun and educational and all the other mums loved the fact that I took charge of the kids for several hours a week albeit digitally.

I see the same happening with SDV

ValleyGirl

Tiller
You can play with two people on one computer. The first person gets to play on the keyboard, but you need to have a controller for the second person.

See here for more details: www.stardewvalleywiki.com/multiplayer
Oh I didn't realise you could do split screen on the pc. We've decided to buy two copies of the game though, so that we always have the option of p.aying independently as well as together.

Now we're all debating whether to have shared finances or individual finances. The kids wnat to share, I don't.

Elenna101

Farmer
Oh I didn't realise you could do split screen on the pc. We've decided to buy two copies of the game though, so that we always have the option of p.aying independently as well as together.

Now we're all debating whether to have shared finances or individual finances. The kids wnat to share, I don't.
One argument for your side, you can start with individual finances and then switch to shared later if you want, but I don't think you can split up shared finances.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Even if you go with split finances, there's a thing in Lewis' house where you can transfer funds between players

ValleyGirl

Tiller
Even if you go with split finances, there's a thing in Lewis' house where you can transfer funds between players
The kids want a shared wallet, so that's what we're going for - looks like I'll be moderating all the discussions on how the money is spent

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I need some advice on STEAM.

I have an account and my son has his own account too.

We want to purchase SDV so that we can set up a multiplayer game with two of his pals who already have the game in their steam accounts.

My question is, do I need to buy the game twice - one for my account and one for my son's account. Or can I buy the game once in my account and share it with my son for us both to use and play at the same time.

I already own the game on the Xbox and on my Android Tablet and it pains me to have to buy two more copies of it!
I'm pretty sure it might be possible to use one account but it's pretty sketchy and requires file work everytime you want to use the second player, and it could be overwritten/not work/quite a few other things...
I think the extra money is less of a hassle, if you want too, the game usually gets a 60% sell bonus on some holidays, so you'd get 2 copies for about the price of one.