Do I have to interact with my animals?

imnvs

Local Legend
Well... you don't have to, but if you want better quality produce from them, you want to interact with them regularly until you have 5 hearts with them. After that you can skip a day or two, and then the next day you do interact with them will keep their friendship level with you maintained.

LoveElliotsHair

Sodbuster
Once they serve the purpose I need them for, I generally just make sure they have enough hay and collect the proceeds from the auto-grabber about once a season.

hexnessie

Farmer
I got the auto petters for my cows so now I see them once a week to restart wine in kegs, and pet them while I'm there because why not. They seem happy.

Lew Zealand

Helper
There’s auto petters? I have the auto harvester so I don’t have to milk every cow and goat I have lol
Yes! Don't get GREEDY because everything in Skull Cavern is soooo shiny!

I did and lost my #2 lovey dovey, baby's first Auto-Petter, thanks to coordinated attacks by Flying Serpents and their sophisticated strategies of bonking me on the head in triplicate.

It was a very sad day.

I quit SDV for about a month and still mope about avoiding the gaze of my now-perpetually-underpetted Piggies.

Moral: you get Auto-Petter, you get home. Day over.

.... sooooo many missing pettings..........

qinlin100917

Greenhorn
I have been suffering with petting for 5 IRL life minutes and now I am in the middle of the day in Stardew just getting started to go to ginger island.. But the chances of getting a treasure room is making me suffer. Auto petter come home!

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I have been suffering with petting for 5 IRL life minutes and now I am in the middle of the day in Stardew just getting started to go to ginger island.. But the chances of getting a treasure room is making me suffer. Auto petter come home!
If you are raising mostly void chickens, it isn't important to get their friendship up if you always turn their eggs into mayo. They only lay one size of void egg, so you will get only one quality of void mayo. You get less money than gold mayo from regular chickens happy enough to lay large eggs, but you don't need to pet them to maximize profit. All they need is to be fed every day, which is easy enough with the deluxe coop and an adequate supply of grass and hay.

As for me, I pet my animals because I like doing it! But if I am planning something time sensitive like a skull cavern run, I will skip petting and other chores for the day. Missing a day of pat-pats every now and then is not enough to cause a significant drop in friendship.

Godkin

Planter
Basically, it's not necessary to greet him every morning, but it's better to do it every evening.

Like parenting in this game, I think they are an added element to the game. It would be more interesting if we could play bone toss with them, even if it had no real benefit. Or even have them help us by chasing away crows, searching for food, or hunting monsters.

So, in conclusion, your pet will not disturb your restful sleep. <`ヘ´>

Edit: Sorry, it seems I misunderstood you earlier. What I mean above refers to your pets such as dogs or cats.