Deconstructor improvements + clothing bin

Cococinel

Sodbuster
Prior to 1.5, I didn't do much with the Skull Cavern. But now there's two of Qi's challenges, the auto-petter to look for, and the deconstructor means that finding craftables I already have in sufficient numbers can be put to use another way. I've easily doubled the times I visit the Skull Cavern and I love it. And of course, the deconstructor makes farm (re)design more flexible, which is something I too have made good use of.

Still, the deconstructor has limitations. It can't process things that can't be constructed, it can't process things that are made in multiples, and it can't process clothes. During Qi's challenges and auto-petter hunting, I ended up with three auto-grabbers, three dark cowboy hats, four white turbans, and around eight each on red and blue cowboy hats. I'd already bought the auto-grabbers I needed and I only "needed" one of each hat, so I got nothing out of those finds. I also bought one wood chipper too many at one point.

What I'd like to see, if code allows for it, is for non-constructable items like the auto-grabber, the auto-petter, and the wood chipper to be assigned a material to recycle from it. Just because the player specifically can't construct them, doesn't mean they aren't made from something. I can imagine the wood chipper to yield two iron bars, all scarecrows to be worth 50 wood, and the auto-grabber could even leave a radioactive bar (and the auto-petter two). An item like the iron fence could be reduced to five pieces per craft, thus making it possible for each piece to yield one iron ore upon being placed in the deconstructor.

As for clothes -- hats, shirts, pants -- I wouldn't mind getting cloth out of them, but maybe they could be for something else. I'd be interested in Pelican Town getting a clothing bin to donate clothes to. The perk could be something like one or two friendship points per villager for regular stuff and 3x that for rare finds and clothes created from rare finds. Or maybe the exchange is seeds for fabric plants, like flax or cotton or nettle. But anything to get a use out of superfluous clothes would be nice.

Thank you for reading.

ISSsloth

Farmer
Prior to 1.5, I didn't do much with the Skull Cavern. But now there's two of Qi's challenges, the auto-petter to look for, and the deconstructor means that finding craftables I already have in sufficient numbers can be put to use another way. I've easily doubled the times I visit the Skull Cavern and I love it. And of course, the deconstructor makes farm (re)design more flexible, which is something I too have made good use of.

Still, the deconstructor has limitations. It can't process things that can't be constructed, it can't process things that are made in multiples, and it can't process clothes. During Qi's challenges and auto-petter hunting, I ended up with three auto-grabbers, three dark cowboy hats, four white turbans, and around eight each on red and blue cowboy hats. I'd already bought the auto-grabbers I needed and I only "needed" one of each hat, so I got nothing out of those finds. I also bought one wood chipper too many at one point.

What I'd like to see, if code allows for it, is for non-constructable items like the auto-grabber, the auto-petter, and the wood chipper to be assigned a material to recycle from it. Just because the player specifically can't construct them, doesn't mean they aren't made from something. I can imagine the wood chipper to yield two iron bars, all scarecrows to be worth 50 wood, and the auto-grabber could even leave a radioactive bar (and the auto-petter two). An item like the iron fence could be reduced to five pieces per craft, thus making it possible for each piece to yield one iron ore upon being placed in the deconstructor.

As for clothes -- hats, shirts, pants -- I wouldn't mind getting cloth out of them, but maybe they could be for something else. I'd be interested in Pelican Town getting a clothing bin to donate clothes to. The perk could be something like one or two friendship points per villager for regular stuff and 3x that for rare finds and clothes created from rare finds. Or maybe the exchange is seeds for fabric plants, like flax or cotton or nettle. But anything to get a use out of superfluous clothes would be nice.

Thank you for reading.
But why would you throw away some perfectly good hats? I'm sure they'd look great on children, your horse, or as many rarecrow #3s as you can get your hands on.

Cococinel

Sodbuster
But why would you throw away some perfectly good hats? I'm sure they'd look great on children, your horse, or as many rarecrow #3s as you can get your hands on.
I never bothered with kids, I only ever get one scarecrow of each (more scarecrows pls; they're a fun collectable), and my horse currently wears the bowler hat which I'll probably switch out for Qi's hat. I might fill an aquarium with sea urchins and give them all hats, but then I just still won't as many duplicates (plus I favor the goggles, animal hats, and the masks anyway).

DesertBoots

Sodbuster
Oh gosh I think that Emily could open a new and gently used clothing store! Haley could grow up a bit and take Emily's job at the bar... or maybe that'd be Sam and Haley could work in the library if he's already there.

I'd love to take sewing lessons from Emily.