PC [HELP] Crashes on PC Sleep and sometimes also causes Steam Cloud Desync, also no Error Logs

Callae

Greenhorn
Hello,

I step away from Stardew Valley fairly often cause I like to multitask and everytime my PC sleeps or turns off the display the game crashes. I was ignoring it at first, but it's become to frequent an issue and now it seems to have also cause a desync with Steam Cloud. It gives a message akin to "Cannot locate cloud files. If you continue those saves my be lost or deleted" so I'm not sure if that means I'll lose progress.

Also, I was going to post the error log ahead of time and apparently I have none? No idea why that would happen but if I use 'Windows +R' and type in `%appdata%\stardewvalley\errorlogs` it throws a Not Found warning.

I'm validating the game files through the Steam client currently, and that seems to be going literally nowhere.. as in 0% and I'm using an SSD for storage. All very odd.

Attachments

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hi! Sorry for such a belated response.

I would create a copy of those and save them elsewhere, then try to play the game again to see if everything is intact. I get a cloud error sometimes on any random Steam game and I've never had my save removed or reverted, so it is probably more of a brief Steam thing than anything wrong with the game, so you should still have everything

Lew Zealand

Helper
I don't know about the de-sync, but (this is a big guess) the crash could be precipitated by an old bug in Stardew Valley where any change in sound input causes the game to crash. I've been hit by this bug before learning (...eventually) to avoid it. It could be that your PC is cutting off your primary sound output and switching to a new output just as it goes to sleep. It may switch back to the proper one after waking up, but the game has already crashed by that time. Just a guess.

Callae

Greenhorn
I don't know about the de-sync, but (this is a big guess) the crash could be precipitated by an old bug in Stardew Valley where any change in sound input causes the game to crash. I've been hit by this bug before learning (...eventually) to avoid it. It could be that your PC is cutting off your primary sound output and switching to a new output just as it goes to sleep. It may switch back to the proper one after waking up, but the game has already crashed by that time. Just a guess.
I tend to switch between headphones a built-in speaker, but haven't had an issue there. Seems like it may have something to do with having two monitors as it doesn't happen if I only use one monitor and the PC sleeps.

Callae

Greenhorn
Hi! Sorry for such a belated response.

I would create a copy of those and save them elsewhere, then try to play the game again to see if everything is intact. I get a cloud error sometimes on any random Steam game and I've never had my save removed or reverted, so it is probably more of a brief Steam thing than anything wrong with the game, so you should still have everything
Hello! The saves ended up being fine but I still have the issue of crashing on PC sleep. Do you have any other suggestions for where the logs may be? They still have not appeared in my Stardew Vally folder

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hello! The saves ended up being fine but I still have the issue of crashing on PC sleep. Do you have any other suggestions for where the logs may be? They still have not appeared in my Stardew Vally folder
I don't have an answer for the crashing when the computer is sleeping, unfortunately ): this is the first I've heard of this issue personally

To follow up on Lew Zealand's suggestion for what the problem is, have you tested out if it consistently crashes if you go to sleep mode and not plug in/remove any headphones? It is guaranteed to crash every time you take out headphones or plug in headphones while the game is running, which is unfortunate but it is very consistent.