PC [BUG] Screen flickering when moving sideways on 1440p monitor (Fullscreen/Windowed Borderless/Windowed)

Oberst

Newcomer
Hi All!

I've been having this problem since I got the game and I really couldn't get around it. The only solution was to slightly change the zoom level, but this made the game a bit blurry.
This light flickering with almost invisible diagonal lines occurs only when moving sideways, doesn't happen when moving up or down. This happens in all three screen modes and with v-sync on and off.
What is more interesting is that in Windowed Mode, when the window size is smaller than the screen size, the whole screen flickers, not just the window! It happens too when the character won't move, but I drag the window itself around. I tested the case, when the game is paused (inventory is open) and then I dragged the window around. The flickering was gone!

So the flickering occurs only when the game is not paused and the window is changing somehow - by moving the character or moving the window itself. And the game causes the whole screen to flicker.

I've never experienced it before, this is the only game where this happened.

Only happens on my 1440p screen, and only when the game's "resolution" is set to native (zoom level is 100%), on my laptop's 1080p screen works everything perfectly fine. (Same system, my 1440p screen is plugged into my laptop.)

I've tried to install other display drivers, then the newest again, but nothing has changed.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS with integrated Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti Max-Q
Philips 275E2fAE 60Hz 1440p monitor

Kreeate

Rancher
Hi All!

I've been having this problem since I got the game and I really couldn't get around it. The only solution was to slightly change the zoom level, but this made the game a bit blurry.
This light flickering with almost invisible diagonal lines occurs only when moving sideways, doesn't happen when moving up or down. This happens in all three screen modes and with v-sync on and off.
What is more interesting is that in Windowed Mode, when the window size is smaller than the screen size, the whole screen flickers, not just the window! It happens too when the character won't move, but I drag the window itself around. I tested the case, when the game is paused (inventory is open) and then I dragged the window around. The flickering was gone!

So the flickering occurs only when the game is not paused and the window is changing somehow - by moving the character or moving the window itself. And the game causes the whole screen to flicker.

Only happens on my 1440p screen, and only when the game's "resolution" is set to native (zoom level is 100%), on my laptop's 1080p screen works everything perfectly fine. (Same system, my 1440p screen is plugged into my laptop.)

I've tried to install other display drivers, then the newest again, but nothing has changed.

Specs:

This may sound silly, but try setting your refresh rate in nVidia control panel to 59Hz as opposed to 60Hz. It's solved flickering issues for me in many cases.

Oberst

Newcomer
This may sound silly, but try setting your refresh rate in nVidia control panel to 59Hz as opposed to 60Hz. It's solved flickering issues for me in many cases.
I tried it and unfortunately didn't solve the problem :(

boiler360

Newcomer
Has there been a fix for this yet? Just recently got 1440 dual monitors and the game ran fine the first few times I played. This weekend it started having this issue. If I bump the resolution down to 1080 its fine but it looks terrible. Any help would be amazing.

chickens4dayz

Newcomer
Hi! I was wondering if there'd been an update? I've tried everything above but I'm still getting the flickering - it really makes it hard to play the game! (My game is set to 1080 as its native state)

MaidOfMystery

Greenhorn
Hi All!

Specs:
Hi I also had this problem when I first bought it and played it an hour ago and searched the internet for a fix before finding it myself lol.
Go to the settings in game, turn off vsync

Haap

Newcomer
BUMP!
I'm having the same issue ONLY when playing on 1440p and not 1080p. This seems like it's a graphical bug in-game and not the clients fault. Hopefully there will be a fix sooner or later because this seems to have been going on for a long time now.
Grey vertical lines flickering back and fourth when moving sideways but not up nor down.
If there is anyone who have fixed it, please, make it known to the public!
Thanks.

________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT:
Alright guys, believe it or not but the solution is actually to change your 'Zoom Level' above or below the default value which is '100%'.
To find this setting, go to > Options -> Graphics and find 'Zoom Level', press the - or + button to change the value to whatever you feel comfortable on, just make sure it does not stand on 100%.

This worked for me and if you had the same problem as me, this should fix it.

Last edited:

Zylon

Newcomer
I found the issue it is actually a device issue, the reason this happens is that your render latency spikes and causes stuttering and as stardew is locked to 60 fps max it is noticeable, to fix this open the Nvidia control panel Manage 3D settings > Program settings > Power Management and set it to Maximum performance it fixed the issues for me.