PC [BUG] [macOS] Doesn't respond to Xbox Wireless Controller input, crashes when controller turns off

Meorge

Greenhorn
I'm on a 2020 27" iMac running macOS Big Sur 11.1. When I boot up Stardew Valley from the Steam client while my controller is connected, the game acts as if there is no controller (it keeps mouse controls, and entering inputs on the controller doesn't have any effect). Turning off the controller freezes the game, sometimes with a pop-up box that says something like "Developer Tools Access needs to take control of another process. Enter your password to continue".

This does appear to be an issue with Stardew Valley specifically; I just tried the same procedure on Hades and Ikenfell, two other games I've played recently using the controller, and they did not experience any issues.

Admittedly I'm having trouble finding out what version of the game I'm running, but Steam isn't prompting me to update so I'm assuming it's on 1.5.4 right now, or whatever the most recent macOS release is?

Please let me know if there's any other information I can gather or provide to help solve this issue!

Meorge

Greenhorn
That's sad Macs has so bad compatibility with so many stuff and games are one of them :(
It's unfortunate, yeah, but as I explained it does seem to be a Stardew Valley-porting-to-Mac problem rather than purely a Mac problem (two other games that I have played have no issues with the controller).

miso

Newcomer
I am also experiencing this problem. The problem started after update installations for both my OS (Mac Catalina) and Steam. At this point, the game started crashing frequently when controller was in use. I've since updated my Mac OS to Big Sur and checked for Steam updates. Now the game will not respond to the controller (though the Steam client responds to the controller just fine).

Bob_Piss

Newcomer
HALP! I am having the same problem. I got it to work on my gf's macbook (the lil one), but it will NOT work on mine. All other games work, steam big picture works, even while in Stardew, the home button still brings up the overlay.

ripoage

Newcomer
I'm having the same issues - running MacOS 10.15.7, Steam is up to date, and game is I'm assuming up to date as well.

I originally was using an older DS4 controller which only had the crashing issue when the controller is disconnected/powered off (including the developer tools prompt), but recently I've been using a new 8bitdo SF30 Pro controller, which experiences both the crashing bug as well as regularly not recognizing controller input, in spite of being connected via bluetooth and being recognized by Steam. Only sometimes, repeatedly powering off and reconnecting the controller and restarting the game helps, but not always.

In Steam settings for the game, I have the Enable Steam Input override enabled, in Stardew settings have have Gamepad Mode set to "Force On," and unfortunately neither have helped. The controller disconnect crash has been happening since I started playing on Steam after the 1.5 release, and the controller input issue has only been happening since I started using the new controller at the beginning of February. I hope this helps somehow!

hannahsays

Newcomer
I've founnnddd a fix that works! No more crying over lost Xbox controller support!

I bought a universal controller from amazon, as it seems Stardew Valley on Mac no longer supports xbox controllers. Right?-- other games on Steam Mac work perfectly fine with xbox controllers. So! Here's the fix, super easy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JRWJT7C?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Purchased this exact controller, then changed the following Steam settings:
Under Stardew Valley game in Steam go to: Properties --> Controller --> Controller General Settings. Untick "Xbox Configuration Support" and Tick instead "Playstation Configuration Support." Since PS3 controllers seem to work seamlessly without any extra software download, I want my game to recognize my universal controller as a Playstation controller.

Then, go back to the Stardew Valley game in Steam go to: Properties --> Controller --> "Use default settings" under "Override for Stardew Valley." This ensures the controller does not kick back to Xbox configuration.

If you choose to buy the controller and use this solution!!! The controller X Y B A controls are originally set to Switch and inverted. To fix this, the universal controller manual gives super easy instructions to change this. Hold the Settings button on the universal controller, then click the right stick once. The controller should vibrate to signify the change, and now your X Y B A controls should work as an Xbox! Yaaay!!

I'm over here pleasantly playing Stardew with my controller now. Omg, I'm so happy. Spread the love, guys. <3