PC [BUG] Low Priority: Game Does Not Start When Using a Dock [MacOS 11, GOG]

taxet

Cowpoke
Description:
I recently installed the game after getting a Mac via the GOG Galaxy client, but there seems to be some issue causing the game to not start under certain conditions. When starting the game from the client, it syncs, waits for a while (it shows that it starts the app as the title bar changes) but then it just closes it up. I also tried running the game from the app icon and even went ahead and uninstalled GOG Galaxy and installed the game via the package downloaded from GOG site, same issue happens then as well, giving high implication this is not just the client. I've also disabled overlays and syncing to check if those have any effect, but unfortunately that did not help either.

After searching online for a bit, I found someone mentioning that the game might work if started from the Unix Executable File from within the app, which worked the first time, but when I tried that again, I keep getting an error message on the terminal (I've pasted the error message below).

After some further investigation, I think the issue is with my dock. I have a MacBook Pro connected to a Targus dock (DOCK190EUZ) via USB-C and if I start the game with the galaxy client (or terminal) on one of the external displays connected to the dock, the game does not start. However I found that if I move the client window (probably the same would happen with the terminal window as well) to the MacBook built in display, the game starts just fine and on the external monitor set as the main display as well. I have a suspicion that this has something to do with the displaylink driver and/or how the external monitors are handled in MacOS when they're connected to the dock, as this has been an issue with a few other unrelated apps and features as well. Those are usually related to the fact that for the monitors to function, the drivers require screen recording privileges (they're "shared" displays as far as the OS is concerned).

Since this is very much a corner case and not something many others probably will ever face, it's not a high priority issue, especially since there's a way to work around it. However I wanted to raise this issue in case there would be a way to fix it at some point in the future. If any other information is required, let me know and I will provide what I can.

Error message:
Code:
Failed creating OpenGL pixel format
Failed creating OpenGL pixel format
gameMode was 'titleScreenGameMode (0)', set to 'errorLogMode (11)'.
gameMode was 'errorLogMode (11)', set to 'playingGameMode (3)'.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformSetup () <0x1145a3d90 + 0x0026b> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Setup () <0x1145a3000 + 0x00101> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice..ctor (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsAdapter adapter, GraphicsProfile graphicsProfile, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.PresentationParameters presentationParameters) <0x114264600 + 0x00907> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Initialize () <0x114263e30 + 0x00225> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice () <0x114263dd0 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamePlatform.BeforeInitialize () <0x114263540 + 0x00120> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.BeforeInitialize () <0x11425eca0 + 0x0004e> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize () <0x11425ea80 + 0x00027> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run (GameRunBehavior runBehavior) <0x11425e670 + 0x000b8> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run () <0x11425e600 + 0x0002d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at StardewValley.Program.Main (System.String[] args) <0x1023cdfb0 + 0x000f8> in <filename unknown>:0
Device Information:
Machine: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.6 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM
Dock: Targus Dock, product code DOCK190EUZ
Game Version: 1.5.1.931692592
GOG Galaxy ver.: 2.0.35 (19) although probably not that relevant to this particular issue