Switch [BUG] Game Crashed at Bedtime, Didn't Save

echolorien

Greenhorn
The issue:
Went to bed on Summer Day 20 Year 4 and my game crashed. The crash happened before my game could save and so I lost an entire day. This has never happened prior to the 1.5 update.

Error text:
"The software experienced an error and had to close."

Game Version:
Switch 1.5.4 (single player)

Language:
English

Last edited:
OP said that the game was crashing
There is a difference between the game crashing and you accidentally closing the game before it saves
One does not accidentally crash the game
Correct, I’m just stating that the crash did not cause the save to fail but happened before the save happened.

Zombie

Greenhorn
Hey have you has any feedback for this ??

Myself and my girlfriend have also encountered almost the same problem. I say almost as theres a few things different to yours... im going to put whats happening here.

The issue:

Year 3 autumn day 14 the error occurs when going to bed shortly before the end of day results. “The Software was closed because an error occurred”. Ive been experimenting slightly with the game to find out if there was a cause.

The first time it happened we had just purchased the teleport sceptre thing and just needed the iridium for the boat requisites. And after a fruitful day in the skull mines got into bed then crash...

Second time we tried without buying sceptre... crash

We kept changing things until we woke up and went straight to bed, alas still crash.

We have delayed our return to the valley while this error continues (i check almost daily for updates just in case). But we both want to farm again on this save rather than start a new one.

Error text:

Game Version:
Switch 1.5.4 (Splitscreen 2 players)

Language:
English

Joltemon

Cowpoke

Myself and my girlfriend have also encountered almost the same problem. I say almost as theres a few things different to yours... im going to put whats happening here.

The issue:

Year 3 autumn day 14 the error occurs when going to bed shortly before the end of day results. “The Software was closed because an error occurred”. Ive been experimenting slightly with the game to find out if there was a cause.

The first time it happened we had just purchased the teleport sceptre thing and just needed the iridium for the boat requisites. And after a fruitful day in the skull mines got into bed then crash...

We kept changing things until we woke up and went straight to bed, alas still crash.

We have delayed our return to the valley while this error continues (i check almost daily for updates just in case). But we both want to farm again on this save rather than start a new one.

Error text:

Game Version:

Language:
English
Mine's been crashing on the exact same day! Maybe it would be better if everyone who has this problem adds the in game date of the crash? We may be able to narrow the problem down a bit more!

echolorien

Greenhorn

The issue:

Error text:

Game Version:

Language:
English
I have not gotten any feedback yet.

sparkyllama

Newcomer
A similar thing happened to me today. I went to bed and the game just closed before it saved. Summer, day 4, year 1. I loaded it back up and only watered my plants before going back to bed again because I didn't want to complete the day all over again and have it not save again. But this time it didn't crash and my game saved. Hopefully it was just a fluke and won't happen again because it's really frustrating to lose an entire day's work.

sparkyllama

Newcomer
I played the next day regular and it did it again. I guess I just can't play until this is fixed. Is there somewhere else to report this, or do we just have to wait?

Also, I guess I should throw out there that I'm not using any mods (never have), and I'm playing on a Windows 10 PC.

Relativemax

Newcomer
My friend and I had a similar issue on switch (online co-op), and we did end up finding a way to get past this error.
Not sure if it will work for you, but what worked for us was completing the day in single player mode. So the person who started the file on their console should be able to just hop in (I think you can still load it up either from the multiplayer screen, though maybe not thru the split screen menu, or regular load screen??), play the day themselves, and then save.
After we got thru that one day (it was Autumn day 3 for us) we haven’t had any issues since.
Our one theory for the issue is that during that night we had trouble saving in, a super rare event occurred (weird owl statue appearing) and we were wondering if that might have caused it? If that event or something has a bug on multiplayer? I have no idea. Either way we were just relieved to find a solution. Hope it works for you guys too.

sparkyllama

Newcomer
Last night I opened up Steam, right clicked the game, clicked Properties, then Local Files, then Verify Integrity of Game Files. When I first click it it said there was an issue. I can't remember the exact wording and didn't think to write it down. I also don't remember exactly what happened next, but it said something that made it sound like it was fixing it. Then I opened it again, clicked it again, and then it said that all files were successfully validated. Then I went to bed because it was late, but this morning I have successfully played through two days. I don't know if it's a coincidence, or if what I did fixed it. And if it did fix it, I don't know if there are similar options on other platforms, but I thought I would report back just in case.

If that event or something has a bug on multiplayer?
I've never played multiplayer, although maybe there are two separate bugs causing the same issue? Whatever the case, I'm glad yours is working again.

Zombie

Greenhorn
My friend and I had a similar issue on switch (online co-op), and we did end up finding a way to get past this error.
Not sure if it will work for you, but what worked for us was completing the day in single player mode. So the person who started the file on their console should be able to just hop in (I think you can still load it up either from the multiplayer screen, though maybe not thru the split screen menu, or regular load screen??), play the day themselves, and then save.
Heyo thanks for a fix suggestion i just tried it and unfortunately to no avail. Loaded the save up in singleplayer woke up then went to bed a second later and crash...

Edit: Also noticed there was a switch software update so tried the fix on the game before the update and then again after the update. Same results. :(

Edit of edit: Also tried the switch equivalent of validating files. Still nothing. Even re-downloading the game.

Last edited:

Farmerffej

Greenhorn
I just got stardew a little over a week ago on my switch and the sleep glitch mentioned has happened three separate times.

Unfortunately, I didn't record the first two days but the last crash was year 1 fall 14.

Can't play anymore until this is resolved

Last edited:

Nikkiben

Newcomer
Mine keeps crashing on 25th dec year 3. I give a gift at the holiday party and I get the same "error occured" message and the day restarts. Single player, no mods, on the switch.