PC [BUG] Game crash every time bluetooth earbuds/headset disconnects

Misadventure

Greenhorn
I thought it was just a coincidence, but the game freezes every single time my Bluetooth earbuds disconnect (when the battery dies, for example) when I'm playing the game.

I can't ALT + F4. I can't ALT + TAB to a different program, even the task manager will stay in the background. The only solution is to literally shut down my PC and restart.

There's no error message, the game freezes and becomes completely unresponsive.
  • Game version: 1.5.4
  • In-game language: English
  • Single-player
Anybody else encounter this issue?

Please let me know if you need more information.

Ereo

Helper
It's a known issue. It also happens when you use regular headphones and disconnect the cable.

Lew Zealand

Helper
First off, welcome to the forum, Misadventure!

I ran into this bug soon after v1.5 dropped and soon found out that this is a longstanding bug which, if I recall correctly, is either not fixable without a complete game rewrite (!), or nearly that to where it's just not worth the effort. And it's not a Steam bug as I play the GOG version and it's extant there as well.

Misadventure

Greenhorn
First off, welcome to the forum, Misadventure!

I ran into this bug soon after v1.5 dropped and soon found out that this is a longstanding bug which, if I recall correctly, is either not fixable without a complete game rewrite (!), or nearly that to where it's just not worth the effort. And it's not a Steam bug as I play the GOG version and it's extant there as well.
Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

That's odd because someone else just mentioned that it happened with a different game, so then I started thinking it might be a Steam issue. Thanks for your input and letting me know it's a longstanding bug. I guess I should just suck it up and use my wired headset instead of using Bluetooth earbuds lol.

Geoman265

Tiller
Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

That's odd because someone else just mentioned that it happened with a different game, so then I started thinking it might be a Steam issue. Thanks for your input and letting me know it's a longstanding bug. I guess I should just suck it up and use my wired headset instead of using Bluetooth earbuds lol.
It's possible that the other game (which, if you're curious, was terraria, which was on steam) happened to have the same issue, despite them not being related to each other.

Misadventure

Greenhorn
It's possible that the other game (which, if you're curious, was terraria, which was on steam) happened to have the same issue, despite them not being related to each other.
That's more than likely what is going on. I never thought about it affecting other games since I just recently started playing Stardew Valley again and haven't been playing anything else, haha.

Also, Terraria is amazing and it's my second most played game on Steam, after Stardew Valley, of course. :)

Geoman265

Tiller
That's more than likely what is going on. I never thought about it affecting other games since I just recently started playing Stardew Valley again and haven't been playing anything else, haha.

Also, Terraria is amazing and it's my second most played game on Steam, after Stardew Valley, of course. :)
I had a another somewhat similar issue with minecraft, although the effects were much less severe, in that it only cut out the sound.

Also, why is it that so many people seem to play both terraria and stardew valley? There's both great games, don't get me wrong, but it's just surprising.