PC [BUG] 1.5.5 Destroyed My FPS

HFHavenger

Greenhorn
I have been playing regularly (and un-modded, I might add) for years. I have a decently high end personal rig that plays other titles without breaking a sweat. After this update, the game is nigh unplayable! Radeon software reports average as 13.2 frames/sec.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 1700X
32GB Ram @ 2400
AMD Radeon 5700X 8GB
Playing on an LG Ultragear monitor @ 1440p 120hz.

Just updated .net framework and radeon drivers to no avail.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well. No dice.

PapaVader

Farmhand
I have been playing regularly (and un-modded, I might add) for years. I have a decently high end personal rig that plays other titles without breaking a sweat. After this update, the game is nigh unplayable! Radeon software reports average as 13.2 frames/sec.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 1700X
32GB Ram @ 2400
AMD Radeon 5700X 8GB
Playing on an LG Ultragear monitor @ 1440p 120hz.

Just updated .net framework and radeon drivers to no avail.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well. No dice.
I too am experiencing stuttering and hitching while playing since the most recent update. Downloading the latest graphics drivers helped a little but there are still issues. I’m also experience random times when the fps drops significantly until I perform a separate action or transition to a new location. Also reinstalled and played a vanilla version, and the issues persist.

gpu: gtx 1080ti

Last edited:

Skyah

Greenhorn
I'm also getting terrible fps with 1.5.5, having a rtx 3080 and getting 15 fps on Stardew is a pretty awful experience:laugh:. Hopefully more posts will bring the attention to this issue.

tigs

Newcomer
So I switched to the 'legacy beta' version, but it's just as terrible, FPS-wise. Stuttering all over the place.

I'd really like to have a 1.5.4 available somewhere.

/sigh

HFHavenger

Greenhorn
I posted on the Steam discussions as well and got the answer I needed.
DISABLE V-SYNC! As soon as I did that it fixed the issue.

tigs

Newcomer
I found your thread on steam and it gave some more hints.

Turning off V-Sync makes it worse in windowed mode, in fullscreen I don't see a difference;

BUT also turning Radeon Enhanced Sync back on makes it way better. Not entirely solved, it looks like, but perhaps playable.

is there a possiility to play 32 bits instead of 62 bits?
If you have a high-end computer, there is a possibility that your computer is not compatible to the game.

Also, please be aware that 32-bit operating systems will not be able to run the new version. However, we plan on providing a "compatibility" branch to players which will continue to use 32-bit XNA and will be compatible with old operating systems.
If, for any reason, you want to play on the “legacy” 32-bit version, it’s still available on Steam (right click Stardew > properties > betas > select “Compatibility” version).

My 64 bit system was playing the game fine before the update but afterwards suffered the same tearing/stuttering after a few minutes of play. I have tried many attempted fixes listed throughout various forum posts but none have worked. After this latest hotfix, the problem has NOT changed at all. While the game will run on the 32 bit legacy version, that means I cannot use any of the mods. Yes, I unistalled all mods and SMAPI too to try and fix things but nothing changed. I even uninstalled the game, reinstalled graphics drivers and game, and checked all other recommended files were installed.

While the mods were simply quality of life ones, like autogates, they were nice for helping to focus on actual game play.

I use a 1920 x 1080 resolution on WIn 10 pro, 32 GB RAM, and a GTX 650. Again, zero issues with game play or graphics prior to the update, and the recent hotfix of Dec 3rd has not helped.