Best Way to Utilize Magic Rock Candy

Akemisora

Planter
I'm on the end of Summer year 2, having 7 prismatic shards lying around. I bought a magic rock candy. Any tips to maximize its effect? I'm aware that its effect's duration about 10 in game hour. Do I really need to spam tons of staircase to make it works?

imnvs

Local Legend
You don't NEED to, but it does help you get to where you'll make best use of it, yes.

Eh, not really worth it, IMO. Luck bonuses are so minimally impactful that you're basically blowing multiple prismatic shards on a bit of attack and defense.

Next time just use Pepper Poppers and Coffee, you'll probably make better results just from the faster clear time.

PorkChop

Planter
To me it's one of those "too rare to use" items. That's a quirk I've always had in RPGs and it's bled over into SDV.
Yes... Lots of items like a prismatic shard are good for the looks and just to appreciate how much work you took to get it.

The_Blues

Greenhorn
Eh, not really worth it, IMO. Luck bonuses are so minimally impactful that you're basically blowing multiple prismatic shards on a bit of attack and defense.

Next time just use Pepper Poppers and Coffee, you'll probably make better results just from the faster clear time.
That‘s what I‘ve been wondering... is it really worth it?

Im preparing for a skull caverns-run with 500 stairs and I have 72 Prismatic Shards lying around. Im considering using six to buy two Magic Rock Candies for this run. Will it be worth it? Am I going to get my six shards back? Do the candies really make a difference at level 500?

Drullo321

Sodbuster
Be careful, you can only buy one candy each week. So don't arrive at the desert trader with 100 prismatic shards in inventory ;)

The_Blues

Greenhorn
Oh! Right! I actually forgot, thanks for reminding me! But I‘ve still got some preparation to do, because so far I‘ve made 300 stairs, so theres 200 more to go. That‘ll still take some time.

imnvs

Local Legend
That deep it could make a difference. I'd still bring along a stack of another food or maybe life elixirs for healing.

Akemisora

Planter
At what level does it make significant difference? I never tried a run with tons of stairs, I'm still making more crystalariums to duplicate jade.

Maw

Farmhand
imo, the Skull Cavern gets decent after level 50. I've only tried starting below 100 once or twice, tho.
Even at that not-impressive level, I feel like the increased luck made a noticeable difference.
Starting below 100, seems like you shouldn't have any trouble recouping your 3 shards so long as you ignore any other game tasks that day.

The_Blues

Greenhorn
At what level does it make significant difference? I never tried a run with tons of stairs, I'm still making more crystalariums to duplicate jade.
Oh! Oh! I totally didn’t think of that! That is an amazing idea! I will start duplicating Jade right away! Thanks for that hint!

Starting below 100, seems like you shouldn't have any trouble recouping your 3 shards so long as you ignore any other game tasks that day.
My plan is to be prepared every evening, then check right in the morning if it‘s a very lucky day and teleport to the desert right away so I can enter the caverns around 6:40 and use the return scepter at 01:50 and collapse on the living room floor!

imnvs

Local Legend
Big stack of bombs or mega bombs, and a napalm ring. Tear through rocks quickly for more chances for those shards. Drink some ginger ale too.

LRangerR

Local Legend

Might as well use Spicy Eel instead of Poppers for the luck buff at that point.

I must be missing something but, why Jade?

Lauren1593

Tiller

My >100 run of Skull Cavern was done with Pumpkin Soup. Didn’t find so much as a single Prismatic Shard. I feel the Magic Rock Candy will not pay for itself easily in Skull Cavern.

Drullo321

Sodbuster
There are additional ways to boost your luck. There is a secret note which involves a fetch quest and as of 1.5.0 there is a +luck ring and +luck drink which you can consume instead of coffee. And of course, don't go on bad luck days. Also think about what are good mine levels and what not so still skip >100 depth levels when there isn't enough ore or the level is bad. Just did a run without magic rock candy, using arround 80 stairs, 60 megabombs, 50 normal bombs, ~20 cherry bombs, some coffee and the eel buff food, iirc reached level 245, farmed >600 iridium ore and 5 prismatic shards.

I would try to set up a lot of crystallariums first, giving you Jade (Staircases), Quartz (Bombs), Ruby (Buff Food) and if you can't aquirre otherwise Diamonds (Triple Espresso). Otherwise you may feel threatened to use your precious bombs and other stuff and that hinder your progress.