Best way to get Banana Saplings?

Hill Myna

Farmer
Hello everyone!

I really like the look of Banana Trees, so I want 20+ to decorate with. At the moment I only have five, one in my Greenhouse and the rest in me good ol' chests. I've seen people with way more than that, so I wanted to know how you do it.

I am now almost Perfect, so I have way more money than I need, and I just want to decorate.

I have one Stingray Fish Pond, no issues with the Volcano Dungeon monsters, and plenty of time to check for Golden Coconuts. Which one is the better option?

So how do you guys get your Banana Saplings?

imnvs

Local Legend
On my beach farm I had 2 stingray ponds, I went through the volcano dungeon regularly looking for the teeth AND I collected coconuts constantly. I don't know which was best... but it took all 3 for me to get the number of banana saplings I wanted in what I felt was a reasonable time.

Chito

Farmhand
Hello everyone!

I really like the look of Banana Trees, so I want 20+ to decorate with. At the moment I only have five, one in my Greenhouse and the rest in me good ol' chests. I've seen people with way more than that, so I wanted to know how you do it.

I am now almost Perfect, so I have way more money than I need, and I just want to decorate.

I have one Stingray Fish Pond, no issues with the Volcano Dungeon monsters, and plenty of time to check for Golden Coconuts. Which one is the better option?

So how do you guys get your Banana Saplings?
At first I used to just fight my way through the Volcano Dungeon killing off Lava Lurks hoping they'd drop some Dragon teeth or hoping to find some teeth lying around the Dragon Remains. Doing just that got pretty tedious. I then started to also collect a bunch of coconuts from the Palm Trees around the Ginger Island (sometimes a golden coconut falls off with the regular coconuts) and also collected coconuts lying around the Desert. Then I traded them in for golden coconuts at the Island Trader. After a while they added up pretty quickly. I get a pretty decent amount of Banana Saplings (along with Mango Saplings) once the blacksmith cracks them open for me. I usually aim for the Mango Saplings myself since they're worth more than the bananas. Out of all those, I found collecting regular coconuts, trading them in for golden ones then taking them to the blacksmith was a better option for me personally. I haven't tried the stingray Fish Pond option though.

Hill Myna

Farmer
On my beach farm I had 2 stingray ponds, I went through the volcano dungeon regularly looking for the teeth AND I collected coconuts constantly. I don't know which was best... but it took all 3 for me to get the number of banana saplings I wanted in what I felt was a reasonable time.
I've been questioning the Stingray's place in my Fish Pond ensemble.

Here's my experiences:

I change into my fit-for-purpose Turtleneck Sweater, plunge into my Sneakers, and lower my Radioactive Goggles. Safety Check: Confirm.

I take a peek into the murky depths and spot the Stingray God himself, scuttling around, doing whatever a Stingray must do.

He heads over to the opposite corner of the pond, way faster than a swimming pancake should.

I spot a new addition. My Iridium Rod forms a skyscraper, then shatters the pond surface. After a couple minutes of waiting, one of the Rays heads over. I pull him out and chuck him in the 'pack.

Next I check the chum bucket. Some slimy roe and – looks like the Tooth Fairy took a visit. Yay!

I write the add the contents to my list. Here's what it looks like:

Roe: 15
Magma Cap: 1
Battery Pack: 2
Dragon Tooth: 1
Cinder Shard: 7
Nothing: 31

I shake my head. Ugh. The Blobfish over there have given me 2 Pearls, and at least their roe sells for decent money! Unlike these Rays...

How have your Stingrays treated you?

At first I used to just fight my way through the Volcano Dungeon killing off Lava Lurks hoping they'd drop some Dragon teeth or hoping to find some teeth lying around the Dragon Remains. Doing just that got pretty tedious.
This is what I'm doing at the moment. I agree, it is pretty tedious.

I usually aim for the Mango Saplings myself since they're worth more than the bananas.
I'm pretty sure Bananas sell for 150G and Mangos 130G.

Out of all those, I found collecting regular coconuts, trading them in for golden ones then taking them to the blacksmith was a better option for me personally.
How many Saplings do you have? Sounds like I should head to the Desert more often.

imnvs

Local Legend
I get a pretty decent amount of Banana Saplings (along with Mango Saplings) once the blacksmith cracks them open for me. I usually aim for the Mango Saplings myself since they're worth more than the bananas.
First I have to point out a misconception you have here. Bananas are worth 150g at base value, pomegranates and peaches are worth 140g at base value, and mangos are 130g at base value. These are the 4 more expensive tree fruit... and you had bananas and mangos backwards, my friend.
You are correct.
How have your Stingrays treated you?

How many Saplings do you have? Sounds like I should head to the Desert more often.
My stingrays didn't treat me super great. I have 11 mango (2 greenhouse, 9 ginger island) and 19 bananas (8 greenhouse, 11 ginger island) on my beach farm and it took a full year to get them all between buying them with dragon teeth and golden coconuts. The great majority of the dragon teeth I found to put towards this were found in the volcano dungeon, either among the dragon skeletons or from lava lurks. As soon as I had was getting close to the total I was looking for, though, I emptied the ponds and refilled them with a different fish. They helped, sure, but they helped the least out of every tactic being used.

Elenna101

Farmer
Yeah, I haven't actually tried it but a 5% chance of one tooth from a pond seems like it'll take forever to get you 5 teeth. An average of 1 tooth every 20 days means it'll take most of a year to get a single sapling from a pond, not even counting the startup time to get a pond with 9 stingrays in it.

This part has absolutely no actual numbers behind it, but my guess based on memory is that you can probably get 7 golden coconuts (for the 1/7 chance of a banana sapling) in a couple weeks or so, and 5 teeth from the volcano in about a week's worth of visits.
But I guess if you have extra room and materials for extra fish ponds there's no real harm in having a fish pond or two.

Chito

Farmhand

First I have to point out a misconception you have here. Bananas are worth 150g at base value, pomegranates and peaches are worth 140g at base value, and mangos are 130g at base value. These are the 4 more expensive tree fruit... and you had bananas and mangos backwards, my friend.
You are correct.
I apologize for the confusion. You're both correct. I was looking at the wrong selling prices of both of them and confused myself lol.

To answer your question Hill Myna, I currently have 5 banana trees and 10 mango trees in my greenhouse. I also have 116 pineapples in the rest of the space in there. I decided to just plant pineapples in there since I get 300g for each one, 600 for the best (purple) ones. I planted them all using the Hyper Speed Gro Fertilizer. I also have 17 banana trees and 18 mango trees in the Island. I also have 8 banana and 6 mango saplings saved in a chest for later planting. I also ended up using some gardening space available in the island to plant an additional 336 pineapples. After seeing how much I get for all those pineapples at harvest time, they're all I want to grow now lol. I'm thinking of planting more banana samplings and pineapple in the rest of my garden at home pretty soon.

BTW It does help to visit the desert now and then to get a few coconuts from that place.

Last edited:
Have you experimented using a monster musk in the volcano cave? I—Curious how effective you can collect the banana sapling.

I am a bit guilty to forget my monster musk for mining...

Last edited:

Chito

Farmhand
Have you experimented using a monster musk in the volcano cave? I—Curious how effective you can collect the banana sapling.

I am a bit guilty to forget my monster musk for mining...
I personally haven't had the opportunity to earn the recipe for that Monster Musk item yet.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Thanks for all the help!

I’m now daily shaking Palm Trees for Coconuts/Golden Coconuts at Ginger Island (seems like it refreshes every day; I could be wrong), killing the two Lava Lurks at the Volcano Dungeon entrance, and occasionally heading to the Desert to pick up Coconuts.

I just traded my stockpiled Coconuts for Golden ones. I didn’t realise how many I had: 150 Coconuts! Talk about hoarding. They gave me two Banana Saplings and a bunch of other stuff, including four useless Mahogany Seeds.

I went into the Volcano Dungeon three times; got another ten Dragon Teeth. Now I have the equivalent of ten saplings. I planted two of them, can’t wait to see them all grown up in mid-summer!

Have you experimented using a monster musk in the volcano cave?
I seem to remember monster musk doesn't affect the volcano, since that's randomized at the start of the day and doesn't change until the next day.
I’ve just tried Monster Musk, seems like only Slimes are doubled. Lava Lurks definitely don’t seem to increase. If I’m wrong about that I’ll correct myself after more testing.

Hill Myna

Farmer
I’ve built three more Fish Ponds; filled them with Stingrays. I plan to swap them out for something else later on, but for now I’ll just try my luck.

Yeah this is how I got my four banana trees, never used the dragon teeth as I though they were too valuable.
Where’d you put them? Could you show a screenshot? I’d love to see!

MissDandy

Farmer
I’ve built three more Fish Ponds; filled them with Stingrays. I plan to swap them out for something else later on, but for now I’ll just try my luck.

Where’d you put them? Could you show a screenshot? I’d love to see!
I will get one so you can see! I'll edit it in as soon as I can right here.