Beastiary (Monster Encyclopedia) Idea for the Collections Tab !

Hi, I made this suggestion on the StardewValley subreddit but recently found out this forum was a thing so I wanted to include it here in hopes of slight chance it'll be implemented!

"I edited a beastiary collection tab concept I’ve had stuck in my head! Images are from the wiki, and the template and font are from u/HandInMyFace ‘s download pack. I tried to stay as true to the flavor of Stardew Valley as possible, so I modeled the beastiary to be similar to the fish collection tab.

After you get to the bottom of the mines and clear at least one bounty, the next time you enter the adventurers guild the following cutscene with Marlon will trigger.

Marlon: “You’ve managed to make it to the bottom of the mines and even claimed a bounty! I knew you had the adventurer’s spirit. <Good job [visual dialogue]> There are more monsters out there more fearsome than the ones we have in the valley. I think you’re ready to have this. <Beastiary obtained>. That beastiary should help you keep track of the monsters you encounter. If you can slay every monster, I’ll give you something special.” [From then on, the beastiary would appear in the collections tabs, and you can see basic information when you hover over their icons.]

Upon actually slaying every monster, he’ll give you a tiger slime egg.

I’d love to see this implemented in the next update! If a girl could dream this and a cold weather fall/winter outfit for everyone would be the cherry on top of all the wonderful quality of life improvements we’ve gotten so far. Please let me know what you think! If anyone’s interested I’ve actually written out descriptions for quite a few monsters, so while I can’t code well enough to mod I’d be happy to share more of those :) "

I included the image I edited together of how I pictured it in the game (included 1.5 monsters if you want to avoid spoilers!). I was also thinking if the Beastiary were to really become fleshed out, then you would be able to click on each monster, and a display screen similar to the villager gift favorites screen would appear but instead of favorite gifts, that page would start to show monster drops (that appear once you have gotten that drop for a monster; diamonds and prismatic shards would appear on every monsters drop menu once you have reached the bottom of the mines), and general location/unlock condition (hard mines). I think this idea has really stuck with me since we now have so many items that we can see displayed in the collection tab, it feels strange not to have one where we can see all the monsters we encounter. I think the bounty hunter list is really neat, but it would be convenient to have an easy way to reference how many monsters you beat without needing to go to the guild (similarly to the new icons we can click on the menu to see what we've donated to the community center, and the fish tab that displays what fish we've caught. If you have any other suggestions, or have a question about this please leave a comment!

[Also, thank you so much ConcerenedApe for all the work you put into the game and for how much you listen to the community! This is hands down my favorite game, happy to own and gift it.]

Attachments

tomaO2

Planter
Wow. I have never thought of this, but I completely agree. We have detailed lists of food items, fish, artifacts, and minerals. Why not monsters as well? That could fit in really well, I think. Great image showing off how you think it would work.

Wow. I have never thought of this, but I completely agree. We have detailed lists of food items, fish, artifacts, and minerals. Why not monsters as well? That could fit in really well, I think. Great image showing off how you think it would work.
Thank you so much! This was my first attempt to edit a photo, but I've had this idea stuck in my head for months now and I really wanted to visualize it.

tomaO2

Planter
I think you would still need to check the eradication goals, because each goal count all the subspecies.

Green, blue, and purple slimes all count towards the goal of killing enough slimes. This chart, on the other hand, shows off all the seperate types of slimes, gives a quick description, and then lists how many of that particular slime was killed. I believe you need to kill 1000 slimes to get to the eradication goal, so you could add them all up, but if you don't remember the number needed, you will need to go back to the guild.

That said, maybe eradication goals could be mentioned in a general slime heading as well. It could be a seperate box. Something like "slimes" with a description of "you need to kill 500 more slimes to reach the eradication goal". After that, all the slime subspecies are listed afterwards, and the box disappears after you make the goal?

THE GRIM

Tiller
It’s good but if marlon went all the way down why didn’t he use all ores and collect the treasures him self???

tomaO2

Planter
I have to admit that it's odd that the crafting items list is the only one that doesn't give you an outline of the things you are unable to craft yet. It's also a lot larger than the other ones and the items are not as organized on the list. I fount it a bit annoying when I thought I had crafted every item, only to find out I had missed one. Turned out I didn't do one one of the quests that Ginger Island added, so I fixed that pretty quickly, but I wasn't sure that was the only thing I had left to do, until I had done it.