Beach farm thread

Anhaga

Rancher
Since we've got ourselves a new farm type, let's start a thread for advice, tips, etc.--the beach farm does seem to have some quirks!

Drullo321

Sodbuster
My tips & tricks and things I found out so far:

• The map is huge. Until you reach farming lvl 6 for sprinklers, just plant your crops in front of your house and don't bother with the dedicated area.
  • Don't try to reach farming lvl6 by other means, e.g. animals, it just takes too long. Use crops the usual way
  • For people worried about lack of sprinkler area. Thanks to the new 100% retaining soil there are ways to bypass this issue in a non-frustrating way, albeit mid- to lategame, have a look at my longer description: https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal..._beach_farm_garden_pot_deluxe_retaining_soil/ (works on other maps too)
  • It may be beneficial to build a path from farmhouse to south exit when you have the ressources/time. You will walk alot faster then over grass and other stuff
  • Don't know if it is intendend or a bug but any beach forageable may appear, even out of season (e.g. nautilus shell in sommer).
  • The southern sand area is ideal for a start in raising animals because it initially only contains stumps and grass. You can easily stock up your hay ressource or let animals eat it fresh. Just block the other pathes for your animals.
  • If it is late and you have some spare time, don't mind fishing just above your house for the last hours/minutes left on your time. Every coin counts.
  • Try to focus on community center bundles so you can finish it on first year. That allows you to gain access to the new island with additional "greenhouse like" farm space, so it easily doubles your sprinkler/easy farming area.
  • Edit1: The crates washed ashore seem to be either scaling with the passed seasons or with the players progress. While I get some early crates with some retaining soil and survival burgers, later i got omni geodes and in Winter some new cocking stuff from the Ginger Island.

Last edited:

secretlondon

Farmhand
Get your axe up to iron so you can clear the area you can use for sprinklers. I got a sprinkler from gunther and keep getting retaining soil in supply crates. I've never seen the point of retaining soil until I got this map.

Animals give good money and i've got masses of grass!

Anhaga

Rancher
Rice! You don't have to water if it's near body of water.

For mid to late game it might be wise to focus on animals. Fruit trees help too!
Were you able to till the soil right by the water's edge on the beach? I haven't been able to yet--I'm using the bits around the little ponds for rice.

Drullo321

Sodbuster
I wouldn't bother with rice on this farm. Quite annoying to find spots and then you need alot of scarecrows with just bind useful ressources.

secretlondon

Farmhand
One oddity is that there are areas towards the south of the map where you cannot plant trees, but where the game can. I have lots and lots off pine trees growing there and spreading wildly - but I cannot plant any trees of my own!

Drullo321

Sodbuster
One oddity is that there are areas towards the south of the map where you cannot plant trees, but where the game can. I have lots and lots off pine trees growing there and spreading wildly - but I cannot plant any trees of my own!
I hadn't have such problems but on the other side, while I can plant grass starters, it doesn't seem to spread there. Quite annoying because the area has nice visuals and has naturally borders so it would be a perfect place for a coop or barn.

secretlondon

Farmhand
I hadn't have such problems but on the other side, while I can plant grass starters, it doesn't seem to spread there. Quite annoying because the area has nice visuals and has naturally borders so it would be a perfect place for a coop or barn.
My problematic area is around the pond. I can plant nothing there but the already existing trees spread like wildfire.

Drullo321

Sodbuster
Which of them? The more southern?
Had no problems placing buildings, tree seeds or just grass starter. Sadly grass won't spread.

Had recently started a second save after my first 1 1/2 years on beach farm. Tried some different money making methods. GUess, farming really isn't the main source of income anymore. You shouldn't bother trying to water crops beside the 20x10 sprinkler area, the greenhouse or the new 1.5 island. I guess void chickens are the way to start because they are far easier to start with then pigs and aren't dependent on friendship. They always net the same result, regardless of zero or five hearts, e.g. (with artisan) 385g (minus 50g for hay if you have to buy it later).
That is in the same category as ancient fruit wine.
Maybe I start a thirst playthrough and make the best of my previous ones.

Anhaga

Rancher
Had recently started a second save after my first 1 1/2 years on beach farm. Tried some different money making methods. GUess, farming really isn't the main source of income anymore.
Honestly, I was always able to get the most windfall-type income with fishing. I did finally take to fishing, though, which I know not everyone does. But fishing is a really good way to make money, and it's quite easy to do with the beach farm. I'm excited about easy night fishing for eels and squid without having to do that "OMGamigonnamakeit" dash back at 1:50 AM.

LRangerR

Local Legend
One of the nice things about fishing on the beach farm is that you'll sometimes pick up things like coral, or urchins, which sell for a pretty penny.

Boo1972

Farmer
I had a question about the parcels that appear on the shore line. How long will they remain there? Is it like truffles and train drops so they remain until the end of the week or will they disappear the next day.

Also, I was considering doing a lot of beekeeping. I want to keep the original look of the farm as much as possible and I think bee houses would look sweet in The grass with a few flowers. Has anyone tried this? And where are people putting fish ponds? I love the fish ponds usually but feel they would ruin the ascetic of the beach farm.