Any Way to Open a Previous day's Game?

qaija

Sodbuster
Okay, I screwed up BIG TIME. I had a full crop of cauliflower, the money from which I needed to buy melons when summer came. And I forgot to harvest the cauliflower on the last day of spring of my second year and woke up on the first day of summer with my cauliflower crop destroyed. I did not have enough money to buy all the melon seeds I needed and the entire game is now worthless to me and if I cannot somehow open a previous game before the first day of summer I will have to start all over again, losing days of playing time and a year and a half of game time.

I searched on the internet and found out that you can go to your saves files. When I open this file it reads:

HappyValley2368932
HappyValley2368932_old
SaveGameInfo
SaveGameInfo_old

But there is nothing in these files. I see no way to open them.

Is there some way to go back to the game before summer of my second year? Or do I just need to begin a new game?

Thanks for your help.

Elenna101

Farmer
The files with "_old" at the end are the save files from the previous day. So you can delete the ones without "_old" and then remove the "_old" from those file names. Then you can just start Stardew as usual and it will find the files without "_old", which will be the files from Spring 28. (I suggest making a backup copy of all four files somewhere else, just in case.)

BTW you can open the files with Notepad or any similar text editing program if you want, you'll just see a bunch of code that represents the current state of your file.

qaija

Sodbuster
Thanks Elena. You gave me hope! But then I realized I was already on day 4, so moving ahead one day would not help.

Part of the fun of playing this game for me is to see how quickly I can advance. In the game I just trashed I already had the Galaxy sword, Sewer and Skull caverns keys and had completed all but the Bulletin board and Fish tank for the Community Center and was on track to complete these by the end of the year - I had a deluxe barn and a pig and only needed two fall, rainy day, fish to complete the Fish tank. Two of my skills were level 10, one 9, and they all, with the possible exception of combat, would have been 10 by the end of the year.

I know I am a bit of a perfectionist, sometimes starting a day over if I just watered the same spot twice, using up one unit of energy that I wanted to apply elsewhere.

I hope if Mr. Barone makes any more modifications to this game, he will include some way to easily save the game. Even just one save each season would save me from the huge disaster of having to start over from day one, which I now have to do.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Thanks Elena. You gave me hope! But then I realized I was already on day 4, so moving ahead one day would not help.

Part of the fun of playing this game for me is to see how quickly I can advance. In the game I just trashed I already had the Galaxy sword, Sewer and Skull caverns keys and had completed all but the Bulletin board and Fish tank for the Community Center and was on track to complete these by the end of the year - I had a deluxe barn and a pig and only needed two fall, rainy day, fish to complete the Fish tank. Two of my skills were level 10, one 9, and they all, with the possible exception of combat, would have been 10 by the end of the year.

I know I am a bit of a perfectionist, sometimes starting a day over if I just watered the same spot twice, using up one unit of energy that I wanted to apply elsewhere.

I hope if Mr. Barone makes any more modifications to this game, he will include some way to easily save the game. Even just one save each season would save me from the huge disaster of having to start over from day one, which I now have to do.
Yeah you definitely should have stopped playing and asked the question first before playing another 4 days, mistakes are pretty reversable in stardew and it has a better system than most games though it can't excuse player mistakes regarding lack of or misinformation.

qaija

Sodbuster
Sadly, yeah, going back only 1 day is possible at the time. The only way to go further would be to make regular backups.
Is it relatively easy to make a backup? Could I make one for each season so that if I @%#%@&$*ed up again I could load one of them?

Thanks! BTW I didn't have to trash the game. I lost 500 cauliflower and spent a day cleaning up the leftover dead ones, but was able to sell some unimportant things and purchase 350 melon seeds, which is reasonably close to the 500 I had originally planned to plant.

Lew Zealand

Helper
It's not that hard to make backups at all, actually. You just copy the save folder to another location.
Everyone who plays on PC/Mac should consider doing this just in case. I do for necessity as I don't use cloud saves (Steam/GOG Galaxy) and I play on about 7 different computers. They take up almost no space and are quickly copied, so I just copy my SDV save folders to a common location and fetch it from there when moving to another machine.

Mostly. When I remember. I did forget at one point and forked one of my saves so there were 2 different timelines and it's laughable how long it took me to figure that much of the stuff I did was missing. More than an entire season in game. Hmmm, attention to detail...

But do these backups regularly and give the folder names a timestamp when you make that backup. Replaying a few days can sometimes be wayyy better than, ahem, losing that AutoPetter...