PC Any issues running Stardew Valley on macOS Big Sur 11.0?

ascii7

Sodbuster
With macOS Big Sur 11.0 being released some time today, it would be helpful to know of any issues that crop up running the game under the new OS. It's supposed to be a pretty major update. I usually wait at least a few days before updating to a major release of the operating system myself.

If you run into any issues, let the rest of us Mac users know here.

Odin

Staff member
If you're just updating your current device, there shouldn't (in theory) be any issues. Obviously any significant software update can create problems, but my understanding is that for existing devices, Big Sur isn't any bigger of a change than other yearly updates to macOS, aside from the UI overhaul. I think the bigger question is if there are any issues when the game runs on the new M1 macs.

It would be nice to hear from anyone running the game on Big Sur just to be sure though. I'm still on Mojave :P

ascii7

Sodbuster
If you're just updating your current device, there shouldn't (in theory) be any issues. Obviously any significant software update can create problems, but my understanding is that for existing devices, Big Sur isn't any bigger of a change than other yearly updates to macOS, aside from the UI overhaul. I think the bigger question is if there are any issues when the game runs on the new M1 macs.

It would be nice to hear from anyone running the game on Big Sur just to be sure though. I'm still on Mojave :P
I did read a more in depth review of Big Sur on Ars Technica. The author's take was that there was less changed in terms of compatibility moving from Catalina (10.15) to Big Sur (11.0) than from Mojave (10.14) to Catalina (10.15). So, that's an encouraging sign. I'm running the game just fine on Catalina.

Yeah, running under Rosetta 2 is another thing to consider for owners of the brand new M1 Macs. I've read that it is pretty easy for developers to recompile their apps to be universal, so maybe Stardew Valley 1.5 will be universal right away. That, or it might soon be with a minor update to 1.5.

ascii7

Sodbuster
Still hoping to hear from anyone who has successfully run Stardew Valley under macOS Big Sur.

dangernoodle

Greenhorn
I'm on macOS 11.0.1 on the 2020 27" iMac, trying to run the Steam-purchased SDV. It doesn't start at all for me. Still investigating the reason, I'll post when I know more!

dangernoodle

Greenhorn
I'm on macOS 11.0.1 on the 2020 27" iMac, trying to run the Steam-purchased SDV. It doesn't start at all for me. Still investigating the reason, I'll post when I know more!
Done a bit more digging - When trying to start the game from Steam, it never actually opens. The icon appears in the dock, then disappears. When trying to start SDV from the command-line, the same thing happens, but I at least see the error!

Bash:
% ./StardewValley
Window_ClientSizeChanged(); Window.ClientBounds={X:384 Y:216 Width:1280 Height:720}
Window_ClientSizeChanged(); options is null, returning.
Window_ClientSizeChanged(); Window.ClientBounds={X:384 Y:216 Width:1280 Height:720}
Window_ClientSizeChanged(); options is null, returning.
gameMode was 'titleScreenGameMode (0)', set to 'errorLogMode (11)'.
gameMode was 'errorLogMode (11)', set to 'playingGameMode (3)'.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[TSource] (IEnumerable`1 source) <0x122c76780 + 0x001bf> in <filename unknown>:0
  at StardewValley.Options.setToDefaults () <0x122c75a40 + 0x001a9> in <filename unknown>:0
  at StardewValley.Options..ctor () <0x122c74000 + 0x01784> in <filename unknown>:0
  at StardewValley.Game1.LoadContent () <0x121ff40d0 + 0x00054> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize () <0x121ff3780 + 0x0016d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at StardewValley.Game1.Initialize () <0x121fd90e0 + 0x009ad> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize () <0x1144e8450 + 0x00033> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run (GameRunBehavior runBehavior) <0x1144e8040 + 0x000b8> in <filename unknown>:0
  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run () <0x1144e7fd0 + 0x0002d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at StardewValley.Program.Main (System.String[] args) <0x10fae2fb0 + 0x000f8> in <filename unknown>:0
Note that this is the Steam version, and while the game executables themselves are probably identical, the distributed binary seems to have Steam-specific stuff that *could* be causing issues. I haven't tested any other version though...

ascii7

Sodbuster

I'm sorry to hear that.

By chance, did you have it running successfully on a previous version of macOS?

ascii7

Sodbuster
Just saw this on Reddit.

It has a video screen capture of the Steam version of SDV launching and running in macOS 11 on a MacBook Pro with the new M1 processor. Aside from problems I've read about game controller difficulties in macOS 11, this sounds indirectly encouraging for SDV on macOS 11 with Intel Macs.

ascii7

Sodbuster
Just found another Reddit post claiming success.

So, looks like a mix of failure, success, and problems with game controllers. I think I'll wait and update macOS when version 11.1 comes out.

ascii7

Sodbuster
Yesterday, I updated from macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) to macOS 11.1 (Big Sur) on my iMac (Intel, Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). So far, both the Steam and GOG versions work fine. (I originally bought it on GOG, but bought the Steam version later to make multiplayer easier.) That said, I haven't had a chance to try multiplayer yet, since my usual game partners have moved on to other games for now. We'll probably start multiplayer again when SDV 1.5 comes out. I don't use a game controller, so I have no experiences to report on that topic.

The only problem I've experienced was the longstanding one of using GOG Galaxy to launch the game. That has always been flaky for me, even before the OS update. The GOG version of SDV launches just fine from the Finder. Aside from purchasing and updating games, I'm not sure what Galaxy is really good for.

Odin

Staff member
Glad to hear it's working well so far!

Personally I like the Galaxy launcher because I can connect it to my Steam and Epic accounts and launch all the games I have through it, without having to think about where I bought the game.

I just posted this in another thread because I accidentally missed this one, but I had no issues running version 1.4 and earlier in OS Big Sur but once I tried to update my game to version 1.5, I got an error message saying that my platform was unsupported and it wouldn't launch. I uninstalled the game from my computer and now it won't reinstall, giving the same error message. Is this happening to anyone else?

ascii7

Sodbuster
I just posted this in another thread because I accidentally missed this one, but I had no issues running version 1.4 and earlier in OS Big Sur but once I tried to update my game to version 1.5, I got an error message saying that my platform was unsupported and it wouldn't launch. I uninstalled the game from my computer and now it won't reinstall, giving the same error message. Is this happening to anyone else?
I am on macOS Big Sur 11.1 and have updated both the GOG and Steam versions. Both worked fine for me. (Launching with GOG Galaxy can be buggy, but the GOG version launches fine from the Finder.) Not sure what might be happening with your setup. There seems to be variable success with SDV under Big Sur.

EiraEan

Greenhorn
I am on macOS Big Sur 11.1 and have updated both Steam and SVD (with 1.5 update). The icon will show, but time out on loading and force close itself. No error messages, no mods, other programs, cleared cache, reinstalled. Nada. Any advice?

ascii7

Sodbuster
I am on macOS Big Sur 11.1 and have updated both Steam and SVD (with 1.5 update). The icon will show, but time out on loading and force close itself. No error messages, no mods, other programs, cleared cache, reinstalled. Nada. Any advice?
There was a hot fix that came out last night. Don't know if that might help. Have you tried the old standby of restarting your Mac. You might also try posting your question on the Steam community forum. (I'd include "macOS" in the title to make sure responders know it's not Windows.) That's about all the advice I can come up with for now.

PinkRabite

Newcomer
I ran 1.5 on Big Sur last night on my 2019 16" Macbook Pro. I had no issues running the game, but it took a lot of playing around to get a controller working. Controller worked fine in Steam itself but was not being recognized by the game. Not sure why it was so difficult to get that working.

EiraEan

Greenhorn
There was a hot fix that came out last night. Don't know if that might help. Have you tried the old standby of restarting your Mac. You might also try posting your question on the Steam community forum. (I'd include "macOS" in the title to make sure responders know it's not Windows.) That's about all the advice I can come up with for now.
Latest update last night fixed it! Thank goodness

ascii7

Sodbuster
It looks like there has been a second hot fix.

Initially downloaded 1.5 on Monday afternoon.
I got the first hot fix Monday night.
I got a second hot fix a little after noon today (Tuesday).

ascii7

Sodbuster
... and yet another hot fix this evening (Tuesday). My guess is that these will be frequent for a little while.

If you're still having any troubles, it might be helpful keep launching Steam or Galaxy and get the latest.

codekiln

Newcomer
I ran 1.5 on Big Sur last night on my 2019 16" Macbook Pro. I had no issues running the game, but it took a lot of playing around to get a controller working. Controller worked fine in Steam itself but was not being recognized by the game. Not sure why it was so difficult to get that working.
I'm working with the Dec 24, 10PM update of Stardew Valley, Big Sur 11.1, and latest steam.

@EiraEan Will you please describe how you got controller to work? I have a Playstation DS4 that worked well for me until I updated to Big Sur, and now it won't work for me (bluetooth or wireless) in Stardew Valley purchased via Steam. The Playstation DS4 does work via bluetooth in Cross Code in Steam and am also able to run other games outside of steam.

The behavior I have also observed is described in further detail in these Steam posts:
  1. Game controller support doesn't work in MacOS Big Sur
  2. Gamepad driver installer failed Mac OS 11 Beta
For now, I've started trying to learn keyboard and mouse for this game, which appear to be working fine.

Last edited: