Animal problem.

Anthonygood

Farmhand
I want to complain about animals sorry. I know being about money is a certain playstyle but I wanted to Express my opinion any ways.

So .... They say joja market is the expensive play style but community center is actually the more expensive playstyle.

Assuming your not using stardew valley planner to get the farm items in the traveling cart. ..well ..

You have to pay 36,000 gold for a fully upgraded coop plus 700 for a chicken 2000 for a duck 8000 for a rabbit.

Then the barn - you have to pay 48,000 to get a full upgraded barn. 800 for a cow 2000 for a goat 8000 for a sheep and 16,000 for a pig.

That's not including the wood and stone you need which is more then 1000 wood and almost 800 stone.

Animals are under powered and useless. Concern ape forces us to use animals in the community center just for roleplaying lore and quest objective purposes.

Joja market has a green house upgrade for 35,000 gold plus the 5000 gold member fee.

They say joja is the greedy play through but the community center is actually the real greedy play through. You waste money on animals and stay broke for a long time if you don't use the traveling cart.

Community center is harder than joja in my experience. By playing joja you can save more than 100,000 gold on avoiding animals and have plenty of wood and stone.

Crops are good and so is kegs and jars and fishing, but animals suck. Animals need a buff.

In harvest moon games , the game had the coop and barn prebuilt for you.

So maybe they could buff animals in someway to be useful ? I know animals are good for cooking and gifts. But I find them to be an expensive investment.

Also animals tend to be a trap for a player who wants to make money.

I am not mad at concerned ape. I like him very much and think he is a cool guy. Sorry if I sounded insulting.

Any ways , that's my rant. Wish animals could be a bit stronger in money.

Lappy

Sodbuster
I think Stardew Valley is a great game, and for me, one of the things that makes it great is that it offers the player multiple options of how to enjoy it. I find no fault in anyone wanting to enjoy the game without feeling the need to earn a gazillion gold or cross off every achievement. Some people decorate their farms and/or building interiors in really wonderful ways, and I rarely take time to do that, and to be honest, I'm pretty bad at it when I do.

That being said, I think the game rewards you for having a well-rounded experience. At its roots, the game is based on resource management - not just of gold and components like wood and stone, but also of time and space. For example, players have to decide whether the space to build a barn (and possibly an enclosure for the animals) would be better used by planting crops there - at the expense of the time to till, water, plant, harvest, etc. Animals vary the play experience and provide some steady income while you wait for crops to grow and during the winter when crop options are very limited.

But to me, the immeasurable resource is fun. There are guides out there to maximize earnings so you can earn x gold in y time, and unlock such-and-such features by day z. For some people, "solving" such aspects of a game is a lot of fun, and as a spreadsheet/database kind of guy, I have a lot of admiration for those who figure that stuff out. Heck, I maintain my own spreadsheets for certain information, but I don't think I'll ever play a min/max game, as I'd sacrifice a bunch of enjoyment.

So yes, I agree that the resource outlay for coops/barns/animals are a bit of a bear, especially early in the game. But for me, part of the fun is having to make decisions on how to spend my resources (including time) in the first year or so.

Last edited:

Lionoob

Greenhorn
Personally I think the game looses all it's fun if you only focus on money profit. After all, it's a video game, it's already expected that most of it will be for roleplaying purposes, that's why it's called an RPG. And it's not only with animals, for example, a lot of quests require expensive fruit trees and other things that take a lot of time and money. Actually, the game requires you to explore every single area (farming, mining, fishing, foraging), and I don't see a reason why animal raising would be an exception.
Also, I think the Joja x Community Center thing depends purely on the player. If it's someone who will play more focused on one thing like fishing, the Joja Membership will be the best option, but if it's someone who likes to play in a more varied way the community center is way better since they're not spending any money directly on the center as they would already buy those things anyway.

But yes, animals could use a buff to be a little more reasonable to keep as an income source and not quest/food only.

Person090

Planter
I want to complain about animals sorry. I know being about money is a certain playstyle but I wanted to Express my opinion any ways.

So .... They say joja market is the expensive play style but community center is actually the more expensive playstyle.

Assuming your not using stardew valley planner to get the farm items in the traveling cart. ..well ..

You have to pay 36,000 gold for a fully upgraded coop plus 700 for a chicken 2000 for a duck 8000 for a rabbit.

Then the barn - you have to pay 48,000 to get a full upgraded barn. 800 for a cow 2000 for a goat 8000 for a sheep and 16,000 for a pig.

That's not including the wood and stone you need which is more then 1000 wood and almost 800 stone.

Animals are under powered and useless. Concern ape forces us to use animals in the community center just for roleplaying lore and quest objective purposes.

Joja market has a green house upgrade for 35,000 gold plus the 5000 gold member fee.

They say joja is the greedy play through but the community center is actually the real greedy play through. You waste money on animals and stay broke for a long time if you don't use the traveling cart.

Community center is harder than joja in my experience. By playing joja you can save more than 100,000 gold on avoiding animals and have plenty of wood and stone.

Crops are good and so is kegs and jars and fishing, but animals suck. Animals need a buff.

In harvest moon games , the game had the coop and barn prebuilt for you.

So maybe they could buff animals in someway to be useful ? I know animals are good for cooking and gifts. But I find them to be an expensive investment.

Also animals tend to be a trap for a player who wants to make money.

I am not mad at concerned ape. I like him very much and think he is a cool guy. Sorry if I sounded insulting.

Any ways , that's my rant. Wish animals could be a bit stronger in money.
I do feel like CA is buffing animals, considering I think in 1.3 or .4, he upped the sell price of cheese. As of now, animals are decent IMO. Especially when turning it into artisan goods