An error occurred in the base update loop. Mac connecting to Windows host.

Gryzda

Newcomer
SMAPI Log: https://smapi.io/log/310d3705927d4eb487206e31aca8dd88

SMAPI is reporting this error randomly during multiplayer sessions. It seems to come and go; I have played without issue for hours, but then I'll get it multiple times in a row, causing me to give up for the day. Originally, we had connected via LAN, but after no change in mods, it started to fail to connect every time. Now we're experiencing the same issue when connecting online.

Could you have the host post a log as well?

Your error; I've seen once before. Never really got to the bottom of it; seemed like a weird error with SDV/SMAPI trying to create a folder within the game files for the DisconnectLogs. But, that's not where they're supposed to go.

Code:
23:10:06    ERROR    game    An error occurred in the base update loop: IOException: The file '/Users/Krysta/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS/StardewValley' already exists.
   at System.IO.FileSystem.CreateDirectory(String fullPath)
   at StardewValley.Program.WriteLog(LogType logType, String message, Boolean append)
   at StardewValley.Multiplayer.LogDisconnect(DisconnectType disconnectType)
   at StardewValley.Multiplayer.clientRemotelyDisconnected(DisconnectType disconnectType)
   at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
Previous post with this error: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/macbook-trying-to-create-new-directory-multiplayer.11369/

I did some googling though, and found these comments by a user named, MasterSprings.
Mentioning it being potentially; a permission issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/SMAPI/comments/u2g0wf/game_error_during_multiplayer_please_help_error/

Gryzda

Newcomer
Host's most recent SMAPI log: https://smapi.io/log/64fb5e7b6e0e4b32a30fd665672184f3
Nothing really stood out aside from the player disconnect line, which is when I lost connection.

Thank you for the reply! I also found that post a few days ago when trying to troubleshoot, but I didn't have those directories it mentioned in ~/.local/share/StardewValley. I made them myself just in case it was causing issues trying to create them itself to no real change. No logs have been generated in those directories. The logs ~/.config/StardewValley exist.

In addition to that, I tried changing the permissions to read and write for all relevant folders mentioned in the error logs.

When we originally played without any mods, we would play through the LAN IP connect option. We had had issues with mismatched wifi connections and firewall exceptions that didn't allow me to ping the host, but after resolving those we could play seamlessly. Since starting with mods, it always times me out and gives me "Connection Failed" when trying that same option. It may be relevant to mention that when we do successfully connect through the online services, rather than LAN, the game will take until 7:20AM in game time after the single-player pause clock is deactivated for me to finally load into the game.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the host's log.
Like you said; nothing really stood out. But, it's good to verify everyone's on the same mods, and game versions.

Cool, glad you saw the post as well. And, thanks for thoroughly testing out the directories structure, and permissions!

That's definitely odd. In terms of things to try.

1. Connection Test:
It may be worth trying to have y'all both, temporarily remove all mods from the Mods folder. Just put them elsewhere for now.
Then start a new save with just SMAPI. ConsoleCommands, ErrorHandler, and SaveBackup come bundled with SMAPI; so you can leave them in, or take them out.

I'm just a little curious about connection issues with just SMAPI itself. Or if the large mods like RSV, and SDV Expanded are causing some of the lag, and disconnects.
And, then maybe put all the mods back in, and start a new modded save. See if the connection time is okay, on a new modded save. But, slow on your later-game save, or what.

2. FileName Test:
Something else to try, after all mods are back in the "Mods" folder and such. You could try renaming the SMAPI launch script; StardewValley
To StardewValleySMAPI.
You'll have to run it directly, as Steam won't see the file to launch.

But, since it keeps throwing errors about not being able to create a folder in the game files; due to the script already having the same name.
Changing the name; may show us if it really is trying to create a folder in the game files; or what.

Later, to undo this test.
Delete any folders with the same name as the original script file.
Then rename the StardewValleySMAPI file back to StardewValley so Steam can launch it directly again.

mxrsoon

Newcomer
Thanks for the host's log.
Like you said; nothing really stood out. But, it's good to verify everyone's on the same mods, and game versions.

Cool, glad you saw the post as well. And, thanks for thoroughly testing out the directories structure, and permissions!

That's definitely odd. In terms of things to try.

1. Connection Test:
It may be worth trying to have y'all both, temporarily remove all mods from the Mods folder. Just put them elsewhere for now.
Then start a new save with just SMAPI. ConsoleCommands, ErrorHandler, and SaveBackup come bundled with SMAPI; so you can leave them in, or take them out.

I'm just a little curious about connection issues with just SMAPI itself. Or if the large mods like RSV, and SDV Expanded are causing some of the lag, and disconnects.
And, then maybe put all the mods back in, and start a new modded save. See if the connection time is okay, on a new modded save. But, slow on your later-game save, or what.

2. FileName Test:
Something else to try, after all mods are back in the "Mods" folder and such. You could try renaming the SMAPI launch script; StardewValley
To StardewValleySMAPI.
You'll have to run it directly, as Steam won't see the file to launch.

But, since it keeps throwing errors about not being able to create a folder in the game files; due to the script already having the same name.
Changing the name; may show us if it really is trying to create a folder in the game files; or what.

Later, to undo this test.
Delete any folders with the same name as the original script file.
Then rename the StardewValleySMAPI file back to StardewValley so Steam can launch it directly again.

I'm having the same issue as OP. After renaming the launch script, the IOException stopped being logged. The StardewValley directory got created, and inside it a folder named DisconnectLogs containing a text file with many lines like these:

Disconnected at : 18:05:41 - ClientTimeout

The file name is _2-4.txt.