Altar of Yoba

My comment is that the temple needs to be a little bit lively.
It would be nice to add a Yoba priest or pastor because nobody is preaching the words of Yoba.
It would be more interesting that were some scriptures like the Bible and hymns.

I only see Kent, Jodi, Evelyn, and George attending a Sunday service.
But these people are not avid believers.– which is okay.

It's a bit ironic that Emily and Krobus are deeply spiritual.
Why didn't they attend at Sunday service?

I understand that Krobus cannot go to Sunday service because he is a monster. — It would be fun seeing him wearing human clothes to attend Sunday service.
I think it is okay for Emily to have a one-day break to spend at Yoba's temple.

I guess Pam should attend too after you reach out full hearts, right?

However, I would love to hear more clues about Grandpa's religious beliefs.
It makes me wonder why he is an avid believer of Yoba as well.

Last edited:
It seems yoba is more of a silent religion. No speaking just reverence. Also krobus honors yoba on Friday while the Kent, Jodi and George honor it Sundays while Pam honors whenever she has a hangover. The differing days can just be a difference in doctrine like seventh day Adventist and most other Christian groups. While it's fundamentally the same religion one group has a differing belief on when to hold the Sabbath.......(side note it wasn't a good thing when I turned on Ozzie when they wanted to celebrate it)

For a real world equivalent it's probably a society much like urban Japan. While yes their are broad theologies they are a secular society that celebrates customs more than actual religions. They blocked militant religions in the past due to complications and hypocrisy

It would be cool if the Sign Of The Vessel had some effects, like more frequent visits from the Crop Fairy. (Also the Stone Owl needs some funny effects). Overall the effect should be balanced between lost place due to the statues and the bonus one gets.
Alternatively one could get more presents from Yoba-believers and less from non-believers.

It's a bit ironic that Emily and Krobus are deeply spiritual.
Why didn't they attend at Sunday service?
It would also be funny, if Krobus becomes a secret priest and Emily visits his preach each Friday in the sewer - maybe a secret room with another Altar of Yoba?
Or a secret altar somewhere in the Mutant Bug Lair one has to find first??

BTW: it would be cool, if the Return Scepter has to be loaded - maybe once each month - at the Altar of Yoba. Something like that was the original idea. Currently it's slightly to mighty, and reloading would make it more balanced regarding the other teleport-totems, I think.

imnvs

Local Legend
BTW: it would be cool, if the Return Scepter has to be loaded - maybe once each month - at the Altar of Yoba. Something like that was the original idea. Currently it's slightly to mighty, and reloading would make it more balanced regarding the other teleport-totems, I think.
With a ticket cost about twice what the most expensive obelisk costs (including cost of materials, dessert obelisk: 1M+20x1k+10x100+10x75=1.02175M), I have to disagree that it is too mighty. I think with that cost that it is fairly well balanced.

I want to use references from my religious background about Krobus staying silent the whole Friday. @Zen_the_Ogre

I think I can relate to Krobus. My pastor taught me to stay silent every morning and be alone yourself. –it includes fasting and not communicating with anyone.
The purpose to do that spiritual activity is to hear the word of God and be guided by the Holy Spirit while staying silent.
In my experience, I was trying to be selfless, focusing on my goal, and self-reflecting on myself. This kind of activity, you do not need to do that only on Sunday, but every morning.
Sometimes, we picked Saturday the whole day to stay silent. Some argue is that you cannot be Christian only for one day. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Of course, we go to church every Sunday and stay silent every morning.
For Krobus, he could be silent on Friday and attend the Altar on Sunday,

Here's what I am quoting from the well-known priest.

Last edited:
It would also be funny, if Krobus becomes a secret priest and Emily visits his preach each Friday in the sewer - maybe a secret room with another Altar of Yoba?
Or a secret altar somewhere in the Mutant Bug Lair one has to find first??
That would be so cute. I would love to see him dressing in Yoba's shirt :heart:

or maybe other priest-like shirts.

with a pope-like on it.
1632914209288.jpeg

With a ticket cost about twice what the most expensive obelisk costs (including cost of materials, dessert obelisk: 1M+20x1k+10x100+10x75=1.02175M), I have to disagree that it is too mighty. I think with that cost that it is fairly well balanced.
True, it seems to be pretty expensive. But the Return Scepter is anyway the first "big warp totem" I buy each game. Here is why...
With each obelisk you can just warp one direction only point to point with costs all together of 3 Mio. With the scepter you can warp one direction but from ANY point for just 2 Mio. Also one can use it for escaping from dungeons when health is low.
Having not enough money for all obeliks AND the scepter (yet) you have to choose to walk one way and warp the other way (there vs back). With the obelisks and without scepter you can also use the small warp-totems TO a destination, but to come home you have to walk or use ferry or bus. With just the scepter you can walk, use ferry/bus OR use the warp-totems TO a destination AND still teleport home too!
So in compare the scepter is not that expensive!

I have to defend @Freizeitfarmer
Judging by the size of Pierre's shop, there is the possibility that the Altar used to be a big temple of worship. Today, Pierre converted this place into a store and residence.
When I said big, maybe there were a lot of Yoba believers in the past. Maybe people in the past have collected so much money from the tithe.
Specifically, it means you donate a 10% portion of your income to the Altar. Imagine the number of people who would donate the money every Sunday throughout centuries... . There is the possibility to gather more than millions of golds to build that obelisk.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
I have to defend @Freizeitfarmer
Judging by the size of Pierre's shop, there is the possibility that the Altar used to be a big temple of worship. Today, Pierre converted this place into a store and residence.
When I said big, maybe there were a lot of Yoba believers in the past. Maybe people in the past have collected so much money from the tithe.
Specifically, it means you donate a 10% portion of your income to the Altar. Imagine the number of people who would donate the money. There is the possibility to gather more than millions of golds to build that obelisk.
Okay, I'm just speaking to the cost of the scepter, not the temple itself.

...but if you want to talk about the temple? Making it so that the religion of Yoba can actually power your return scepter, legitimizing that religion in the game would be a mistake. It is saying that Yoba actually can grant power to its followers, not leaving it in the realm of real world religions where literally NO religion has been able to demonstrate that power to the satisfaction of the world at large. This means that Yoba actually IS the one true religion in SDV. This absolutely will piss people off.

You need to recharge the scepter? Have a recharge available from Krobus, where you got the scepter in the first place. Don't make Yoba explicitly real within the SDV world. I'd rather the price just be increased if you think it's too much for the cost. I'd rather the functionality stay the same.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm just speaking to the cost of the scepter, not the temple itself.
You need to recharge the scepter? Have a recharge available from Krobus, where you got the scepter in the first place.
My bad. I meant you can gather a lot of money to be able to buy a scepter, not obelisk

Don't make Yoba explicitly real within the SDV world.
Actually, there are many great atheists in SV.
Explain why you are not fond of this idea? I am open to hearing your perspective.

...but if you want to talk about the temple? Making it so that the religion of Yoba can actually power your return scepter, legitimizing that religion in the game would be a mistake. It is saying that Yoba actually can grant power to its followers, not leaving it in the realm of real world religions where literally NO religion has been able to demonstrate that power to the satisfaction of the world at large. This means that Yoba actually IS the one true religion in SDV. This absolutely will piss people off.
Don't forget Yoba's ring as well.
It's okay not to choose to believe. Relax and breathe deeply.
Remember we are having a fun discussion here.
If it is pissed people off, I am open to hearing their argument.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
My bad. I meant you can gather a lot of money to be able to buy a scepter, not obelisk
It is true that you need more than just money for the obelisks, but once they are built... you don't need to recharge them, do you?
Actually, there are many great atheists in SV.
Explain why you are not fond of this idea? I am open to hearing your perspective.
I know there are, but someone could always point to the fact that your scepter being able to be recharged at the altar shows that Yoba is real. From there people can compare it to real world religions... and well, real world religions can sometimes make things complicated. People get weird about religion, basically. Ever heard of the Satanic Panic of the 80s over D&D? For a more recent example, do you remember Charlie Hebdo? I mean, I think you may not see the problem as the religion of Yoba seems to be similar to that of Christianity, which you practice. Imagine if it was more similar to Islam, though. You might be okay with it, but you can't tell me that all other Christians would. Basically, I think it's a mistake because it could be seen as endorsing a real world religion that it seems to resemble... and that could offend folks that practice other religions.

Also, yes, I am an atheist, and I wouldn't appreciate it for different reasons (what I would probably call performative BS). Still, though, that is NOT why I think it's a bad idea. That's only why it would annoy me personally.

Last edited:
@imnvs
Yoba did not show proof of his existence in the game. It can be a spiritual being just like Junimoes or made up by people.
There is the possibility that he does not exist. There is no proof of his existence.

Maybe he is made up by people of SV by believing in a miracle.–just like people believing in Santa Claus.
As a religious person, I was surprised that you could create the Yoba's ring without believing in Yoba or have a ritual.
I can take advantage of it even though I do not believe in Yoba. I can choose not to believe in Yoba –just saying...🤣🤣🤣
If Yoba appears like faeries or Santa Claus, I think it would be SO funny. No need to be religious. MAGIC is REAL in SV. – I love it.

I suggest considering Yoba as equivalent to fairies, witches, or Santa Claus. but made up by people.
You can recharge the scepter at the Altar without believing in Yoba. – you can take advantage of it.

I am sure CA is not trying to offend people. He is trying to make a fun game. I enjoy the element of the magic, mysticism, mystery, fantasy, and atheism in the game. –all kind of stuffs are included.

He created two kinds of people in SV.
  • One side believes in Junimoes or Yoba like Grandpa, Wizard, Krobus, Abigail, and Emily.
  • The rest are atheists like Shane. I can see that the majority do not believe in Junimoes and Yoba. –which is acceptable to me; we are different.
There is no right and wrong in the game. You can play whatever you want to be.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Well, to be honest, I'm not sure Yoba and the Junimos are connected. I see Yoba as more representative of Abrahamic religions, while the junimos are more representative of totemic and/or nature religions.

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure Yoba and the Junimos are connected. I see Yoba as more representative of Abrahamic religions, while the junimos are more representative of totemic and/or nature religions.

I am more interested in our grandpa's beliefs. See the Junimo and Yoba's cross. Having upgraded Yoba's Altar would give us some clues about our grandpa – that would be interesting.
This is what I am more interested in. Dang... I can imagine how badass our grandpa was when he was young. Look at that sword. 👀 👀 👀 👀
((I wonder if this old woman is Evelyn... I digress...))

Also, I suggest using Abigail's ouija board to communicate with the ghosts or spirits at Pierre's shop.
I am sure it has some connection with Yoba's Altar.
Allow the farmer to pique their interest in spirits.
I am sure Abigail would be happy to be involved in it.