Alex's discussion thread.... And why he's a nice dude...

MaxWhite3790

Farmhand
Okay, you have to agree with me that Alex is by far one of, if not the most, hated NPC in the entire game by the community...

People may see you as sexist and arrogant, but it just goes to show that you never gave him a single chance! People can change y'know? SPOILERS ahead...
  1. First, you can blame your abusive father for his "arrogance"...
  2. Second, you can blame your old-fashioned grandfather for his "sexism"...
  3. Third, he does apologizes to you later about all this if really bothers you all that much...
If you also like Alex as much I do... Please, share you thoughts and your love about him below!

If you don't like Alex but is a open-minded person and would like to learn more about him or at least know our opinions about him... Please, comment below!

If you really don't like Alex at all and aren't planning on changing that or at least hearing our points about him, feel free to still comment if you want... But be aware that you will probably still receive replies debating your thoughts...

P.S.: ... Why do this sound like a cult?

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
People do all sorts of things when they are young, inexperienced, and ignorant (not an epithet, just the definition) that they later regret. That regret, change of viewpoint, admission of such, and maturity or at least respect of differing opinions are what matters. Haley and Shane get some of the same initial hostility in the game and sure, it can be warranted initially but their change in life outlook through continued attention from the Farmer gives the Farmer just as much leeway to change their own opinions about these NPCs at the same time. And perhaps the player behind that Farmer can expand this flexible thought process beyond the cozy walls of this charming video game into the wider world.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I find Alex frustrating. He goes from a bit of a slimeball (it's the smarmy comments early on that initially put me off) to maturing a bit, but his actual arc goes from trying to go pro to ... setting up a tv to watch? Even with the improved social life of the men, it's just Not satisfying.

MissDandy

Farmer
I have no problem with him, the guy seems like he's had a tough go. Later in the game he gets a lot better, and it comes a lot faster than it does for say, Shane. He's never outwardly rude to you, just a little over confident in himself. He's also one of the better looking bachelors (my opinion, ofc) so I feel like he's not a bad option.

If only it was easier to get him loved gifts.

MaxWhite3790

Farmhand
I have no problem with him, the guy seems like he's had a tough go. Later in the game he gets a lot better, and it comes a lot faster than it does for say, Shane. He's never outwardly rude to you, just a little over confident in himself. He's also one of the better looking bachelors (my opinion, ofc) so I feel like he's not a bad option.

If only it was easier to get him loved gifts.
I know right? Like... What do you mean you ONLY love two things? And even worse! They're not easy to get or craft!

Benhimself

Rancher
His loved gifts are tricky, but he has a VERY easy liked gift (any egg!) and even before you get the coop, tulips are a cheap liked gift you can grow quickly enough. Also on the plus side, most days he hangs outside his house early in the morning, making it very easy to give those gifts, unlike SOME bachelors who stay locked in their rooms all day. Just have to find one salmon dinner or complete breakfast at Gus's before midsummer (perhaps buying a phone so you don't have to walk there at noon to check) for a good birthday present and you're pretty much golden.

Cuusardo

Farmer
The thing that frustrates me the most about Alex is his favorite gifts. They're all cooked foods. That makes it harder to win him over.

nicodeux

Farmer
Though far from being my favorite bachelor, I don't dislike Alex. :alex:
If the farmer gets to know him, Alex opens up and makes amends. From this point of view, he is more interesting than some other bachelors that basically stay the same.

Yet, there is one save file where I made Alex my victim. It appears that I was unlucky every time my farmer spoke to him because I always got the mean or bragging dialogues, including the few sexist ones (farmer's a lady). Again and again.

At some point, I had enough and decided he had to pay and that I had to make Alex's life miserable.

Thus, my farmer started to use the slingshot daily to hit Alex with a stone. As he is often standing in the same spot in the middle of the town, he is quite an easy target. And now, the new favorite day of my farmer is summer 13. Because it's Alex's birthday: the perfect day to give him a trash item! My farmer is pretty efficient at giving trash items to Alex because she's training twice a week! At a bonus, when he is looking at the dog pen, Alex is in the vicinity of not one but two trash cans, thus my farmer takes care of rumaging through the garbage when Alex is near... and alone. I'm sure if I'd look close enough at my screen, I could see my farmer smiling awkwardly at Alex while digging in the trash: "Yeah bro, I'm preparing your next birthday gift..."

On the down side, I'll probably have a hard time reaching perfection on that save file... Let's hope friendship can't have negative value!

Last edited:

Confused

Rancher
Alex is awesome, I've never married him, but I have dated him and seen his ten heart cutscene, and that cutscene is one of my favorites. For curiosity reasons, I chose the bad option first, and I left without saving because I was so sad after watching it. I also think people forget too easily about his six-heart cutscene... He apologies for being arrogant, I always lumped that together with all his sexist comments as well. I don't know what this says about me, but I also thought his sexist comments were kind of... Silly- I mean, I never took them seriously, and thought they fit with his background and jock aesthetic.

Alex is great and deserves more love, I mean, his grandparents are awesome! And I mean... If you date Alex you can steal him from Haley-

Planter
While I've never been interested in dating him, Alex is one of the characters I feel the most interest towards. Yeah he's arrogant and a bit of a jock at first, and that might turn me off IRL, going through his storyline he turned out to be a pretty decent guy. I feel like I could be good griends with him were he like ten years older (especially since I'm pretty much ten years older than him). He just need to mature, it's not like very young adults have always been a paradigm of emotional maturity and wisdom or whatnot.

His backstory is cool as well. Dude is one of those (if not the one) who got hit the hardest in life, yet he managed to make the best out of what he has, instead of moping around or complaining all the time. And his grandparents are just great, nothing more to say here.

Alex is definitely one of my favorites. He comes off as arrogant and selfish towards the beginning, but once you get to know him, you realize that he’s had a hard life and he’s trying his best. So sweet.