PC [BUG] AFTER 1.53- Game still crashes at save

nochugotchu

Greenhorn
I have followed all of the recommendations for this bug. Uninstalling and redownloading, using windowless border, lowering resolution, etc. Unfortunately my game keeps crashing despite the patches released. I have to go into save files to delete the bugged saves at least once every few in game days. Every in game day I manage to complete with no crashing, the next seems to crash. I'm able to run other games on my pc without crashes such as cyberpunk, apex, and genshin, so I don't think its a pc problem itself. Please help! I love the game but this is driving me crazy!

NinjaGinger

Greenhorn
Is there anything you do in particular that makes it crash or does it just happen randomly? What resolution do you play in and do you use any mods?

nochugotchu

Greenhorn
Is there anything you do in particular that makes it crash or does it just happen randomly? What resolution do you play in and do you use any mods?
I sleep to save the game, thats when my game crashes. I usually get the tally, then when it goes black it crashes instantly. I don't use any mods at all, and I have switched between 4k and 1440p multiple times. I started in windowless bordered and switched to fullscreen as well. I've tried looking for a crash log but I dunno where to find it 🤔🤔

This has happened at least 15 times over the past 2 days and I'm hitting my wits end lmaooo. I just got to level 40 in Skull cavern, furthest ever and so many gemmnmms. Then it crashed, that was my breaking point

Last edited:

liquidcat

Staff member
Can you share your most recent error log? (Crashes don't always produce an error log, so you may not see any in the folder).
  • On Windows, press the windows key + R and enter %appdata%/stardewvalley/errorlogs.
  • On Mac, from your desktop click Go in the menubar (in the top right), then "Go to folder..." at the bottom of that menu. Enter ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs/.
If you have SMAPI installed, the best way to share a log is via https://smapi.io/log. Thanks!

Jojough

Cowpoke
I think this is the same issue as this other thread: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bug-game-crashs-on-start-a-new-game.3126/ . ConcernedApe said that you should try going to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley", right clicking that and then running it as an administrator and that should resolve the problem. If you use a mac I posted a similar solution at the bottom of the linked thread. Hopefully this helps!

Last edited:

nochugotchu

Greenhorn
I counted as well to 20 crashes from Jan 04- yesterday 15 when I stopped playing. I have tried running the game as administrator as well. I also disabled cloud save on steam because I heard that could cause problems. I don't quite think this is the same cause it's during a game not at the start? but I see what you mean lol

Error log here-

Message: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
InnerException:
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.<Save>d__88.MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 414
at StardewValley.Menus.SaveGameMenu.update(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Menus\SaveGameMenu.cs:line 123
at StardewValley.Menus.ShippingMenu.update(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Menus\ShippingMenu.cs:line 340
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4084
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3876
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1046
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 156

Game Version: 1.5.3
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
In-game Date: summer 21 Y2 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: FarmHouse

nochugotchu

Greenhorn
Can you share your most recent error log? (Crashes don't always produce an error log, so you may not see any in the folder).
  • On Windows, press the windows key + R and enter %appdata%/stardewvalley/errorlogs.
  • On Mac, from your desktop click Go in the menubar (in the top right), then "Go to folder..." at the bottom of that menu. Enter ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs/.
If you have SMAPI installed, the best way to share a log is via https://smapi.io/log. Thanks!
I just started playing again today so if it crashes I can send a new one

nochugotchu

Greenhorn
managed a good time on it this time. error is the same as before

Message: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
InnerException:
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.<Save>d__88.MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 414
at StardewValley.Menus.SaveGameMenu.update(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Menus\SaveGameMenu.cs:line 123
at StardewValley.Menus.ShippingMenu.update(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Menus\ShippingMenu.cs:line 340
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4084
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3876
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1046
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 156

In-game Date: fall 17 Y2 Time of Day: 600

Flare Rahl

Newcomer
I'm also having the same issue, my error log is slightly different though. The crashes started happening shortly after I agreed to adopting a kid.

Message: The render target must not be set on the device when it is used as a texture.
InnerException:
Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.TextureCollection.set_Item(Int32 index, Texture value)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.RenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteInfo[] sprites, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Flush()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.End()
at StardewValley.Game1.renderScreenBuffer(RenderTarget2D target_screen) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 19948
at StardewValley.Game1.Draw(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 18700
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Draw(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 642
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
In-game Date: summer 6 Y4 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: IslandFarmHouse

This is todays crash.

and this is yesterdays:

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
InnerException:
Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.SetRenderTargets(RenderTargetBinding* pBindings, Int32 renderTargetCount)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.SetRenderTarget(RenderTarget2D renderTarget)
at StardewValley.Game1.SetRenderTarget(RenderTarget2D target) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 13663
at StardewValley.Game1.Draw(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 18682
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Draw(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 642
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
In-game Date: summer 2 Y4 Time of Day: 600

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
managed a good time on it this time. error is the same as before

InnerException:

In-game Date: fall 17 Y2 Time of Day: 600
This error log suggests that some external process is interfering with Stardew Valley's ability to create a save file. I don't think this is a bug on Stardew Valley's end. It's possible it could be something like an antivirus or file optimization program. Do you have enough room on your hard drive?

LevelYoSelf

Newcomer
This error log suggests that some external process is interfering with Stardew Valley's ability to create a save file. I don't think this is a bug on Stardew Valley's end. It's possible it could be something like an antivirus or file optimization program. Do you have enough room on your hard drive?
Hello ConcernedApe. I am having the same problem, although my save no longer appears in my saved games under the "LOAD" screen in game. I have over 100GB of space on my hard drive so I can't imagine that that is the problem. Is there anything else that is causing this problem or do I need to start from scratch?

Beelldr

Greenhorn
For anyone who is still having this issue: i copied my both Stardew valley save folders from %appdata% and C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley (or moved the folders elsewhere) creating a backup basicaly, so i deleted the folders from both directories.then i booted the game normaly on Steam, that seemed to work for me

Last edited: