The 1.5 update is now available on iOS and Android! [Updated 1/7]

I am so happy to wait for this update. I have a lot of goals that I want to meet before an update comes along and changes everything. I discover new things about this game all the time.

Also, I hope the system allows the update to be optional so I can download at my leisure. There are bound to be some issues the first time they put it through and glitches are not something I have had to deal with yet.

Keep up the excellent work! No rush! Make it as good as possible!
The only way I can think of (on iOS) to make this work, is to disable auto-app updates, though that would require having to manually tap to update other apps regularly, which would be a pain. Plus anything that needs updates for security reasons would need to be checked frequently. I turn mine off on one device because of one game that the devs break something on via updates fairly regularly 😆. Since I’m kinda addicted to that one game, I let the others test the update first to see if it broke. Some games (usually those with online play) do force in-app updates though, regardless of app-update settings, so that folks on the same server are playing the same version and things stay stable. I haven’t had Stardew on iOS long enough to get an update to know, but as it’s not having online components, that might be doable (just not super practical perhaps).

Last edited:

nicodeux

Farmer
I am so happy to wait for this update. I have a lot of goals that I want to meet before an update comes along and changes everything. I discover new things about this game all the time.

Also, I hope the system allows the update to be optional so I can download at my leisure. There are bound to be some issues the first time they put it through and glitches are not something I have had to deal with yet.
Having and playing both the 1.4 and 1.5 on different devices, I can tell you that you don't need to worry. After 18 months of patch 1.5 being live, most of the main issues with the patch itself have been adressed. Of course, they could be issues specific to the iOS or Android port but that will be impossible to know to what amount until we get there.

As for the content update, I must say that ConcernedApe did an incredible job in making patch 1.5 a smooth addition to the game!

Unlike many companies that force down your throat updates with content that replaces the game that you bought in the first place, breaking sometimes your whole game experience, most of the new content from patch 1.5 (I won't spoil it for you) can be ignored safely if you want to. You can still reach the same things/goals than in patch 1.4 if you decide to avoid new areas from 1.5 and the few additions to existing areas really fit in smoothly. In fact, if you install patch 1.5, you can still pretend playing patch 1.4 if you decide to ignore some small non intrusive visual elements.

A really careful and nicely crafted update indeed.

nararabbit

Greenhorn
In the time it’s taken I’ve finished one degree (which was already underway) and begun another. Maybe 1.5 will be done by the time I finish my master’s in a couple years. lol That would actually be a nice reward.

imnvs

Local Legend
In the time it’s taken I’ve finished one degree (which was already underway) and begun another. Maybe 1.5 will be done by the time I finish my master’s in a couple years. lol That would actually be a nice reward.
It takes very little time to begin a second degree after finishing a first, so this doesn't say a lot.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but remember there was legal red tape holding things up and new people are actually doing the port. They had to start over after a legal battle. Obviously there were delays...

...but being disingenuous about how you measure the frame of time? That's not honestly discussing the issue.

Jemi

Greenhorn
It's been almost 18 months since it released on PC, if that's "less disingenuous" of a way of measuring the frame of time?

I feel like the constant stream of posts telling people they're wrong for being upset / complaining about the wrong thing / could have it worse. That doesn't (at least in my view) do a lot to foster "honest discussion" either.

imnvs

Local Legend
It has only been a few short months since legal hurdles were finally overcome after the previous folks doing the port were fired. The PC version had no legal hurdles. Those legal hurdles ONLY affected the mobile versions. Yes, we know the total time, but there's only a small part of that time when things could progress. That's the only time worth considering when judging the folk involved. Considering the total time is judging one person because other folks were being jerks about things.

nararabbit

Greenhorn
It takes very little time to begin a second degree after finishing a first, so this doesn't say a lot.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but remember there was legal red tape holding things up and new people are actually doing the port. They had to start over after a legal battle. Obviously there were delays...

...but being disingenuous about how you measure the frame of time? That's not honestly discussing the issue.
It takes the amount of time this update has taken. How is that disingenuous? It’s been about 3 semesters. That’s hardly “very little time”.

I am aware of the reasons. That doesn’t change the time scale. It’s more disingenuous to measure based on what you think is fair, only a portion of the time since he’s taken it back. That doesn’t even make sense. It’s taken as long as it has and that’s fine, I’m not saying anything negative about CA’s work ethic here.

imnvs

Local Legend
It takes the amount of time this update has taken. How is that disingenuous? It’s been about 3 semesters. That’s hardly “very little time”.

I am aware of the reasons. That doesn’t change the time scale. It’s more disingenuous to measure based on what you think is fair, only a portion of the time since he’s taken it back. That doesn’t even make sense. It’s taken as long as it has and that’s fine, I’m not saying anything negative about CA’s work ethic here.
It's disingenuous to judge CA for it taking that much time, and the insistence on bringing it up heavily suggests that you are despite not saying it.

Odin

Staff member
It has only been a few short months since legal hurdles were finally overcome after the previous folks doing the port were fired.
Is this something that’s been publicly confirmed? I know CA has discussed there being some kind of legal issue, and that a new team is handling the port to mobile, but I don't recall a mention of exactly when that was resolved or that all work on the port was being held up until that point. My personal impression from his statements is that work on the port has been underway for some time now. As far back as July of last year he mentions the port being worked on:
Here he mentions the legal issues, but also states there have been setbacks on the development side of things:

imnvs

Local Legend
Perhaps "let go" was a better way to put it? The writing is on the wall here, though. Chucklefish is announced to no longer be publishing and no longer actually doing the port... then we hear there are legal/business issues he can't get into that were holding things up? I believe it quite apparent that the folks at Chucklefish were not happy to no longer be on the project and not being cooperative as a result.

Jemi

Greenhorn
It's disingenuous to judge CA for it taking that much time, and the insistence on bringing it up heavily suggests that you are despite not saying it.
I can completely judge how little he's communicated on the issue. And honestly, you've been more judgy of anyone even the slightest bit frustrated at the delay in this thread than most posters have been about CA for the delay itself.

CA being transparent about the process would honestly clear up a lot of the frustration people have. He posts about his progress on other projects: it wouldn't be hard to post updates about the port and what they're working on, or even basic things like whether or not they're having to re-port the game in its entirety.

imnvs

Local Legend
I can completely judge how little he's communicated on the issue. And honestly, you've been more judgy of anyone even the slightest bit frustrated at the delay in this thread than most posters have been about CA for the delay itself.

CA being transparent about the process would honestly clear up a lot of the frustration people have. He posts about his progress on other projects: it wouldn't be hard to post updates about the port and what they're working on, or even basic things like whether or not they're having to re-port the game in its entirety.
I have not been judgmental. You are only characterizing it as such, likely because you're annoyed with the situation (rightly so) and I am the one talking another viewpoint so am the easy target. I have not said anything about anyone except that they need patience and to stop judging CA because much of the delays weren't of his doing. You, on the other hand, absolutely are judging me for trying to talk people down from their ire by describing it as being judgmental.

And he isn't doing the port. He isn't doing the thing about which we all want updates. We also know there were business/legal issues, and is entirely likely that he can't say more about some of the delays because of said business/legal agreements. Obviously we would all like more transparency, and asking for that is entirely reasonable, but that isn't what everyone is doing, are they? Angry screeds aren't just expressing a desire for more information.

Finally, again I will say that I understand everyone's frustration. I do. It is hard to be patient for this long. However, getting angry here (or anywhere else on the internet for that matter) and making these complaints repeatedly... well, it isn't going to get the port done faster, is it? I mean I don't see how it could. The only thing I see it doing is putting people off of the game that we all obviously care about, and I don't think that's helpful. I certainly would be hesitant to go through updating this game again if I was going to catch this much flak for it. I'd like to make this as easy on CA as possible so that he might consider continuing to expand the game a bit.

Odin

Staff member
I'd like to remind everyone to avoid accusations or rudeness against others. And just to clarify, people are allowed to vent frustrations or express whatever their opinion on the mobile port may be in this thread. I think it's important for those of us that are active on the forums to remember that people are allowed to express an opinion or point even if it's come up previously in the thread. I'm happy to clarify further if necessary!

JehutyNinja

Cowpoke
I know this isn't the type of mentality to have but I can't help it, I love this game so much, I have left a wonderful review on Google some years ago that I will not edit, however, I wish I had bought Stardew Valley on anything besides mobile.

I know it's not necessarily the case but I feel like the mobile users have gotten the shaft. I understand things have gone awry and I'm deeply sorry for that.

Please understand that I have played this game since launch on mobile and I've had a game saved on my phone for about 3.5 years now, to the point where I don't even remember what I was doing anymore. I've given up on waiting, I had a huge farm with iridium everything, caskets and barrels of wine and more money than I knew what to do with.

This delay has indefinitely ruined the fun I had with the file. All the relationships I worked tirelessly for a very long time to build. And now my little world is completely unfamiliar to me in the prospect of starting over sounds like a nightmare.

I'm just so bummed.

Jemi

Greenhorn
I have not been judgmental. You are only characterizing it as such, likely because you're annoyed with the situation (rightly so) and I am the one talking another viewpoint so am the easy target. I have not said anything about anyone except that they need patience and to stop judging CA because much of the delays weren't of his doing. You, on the other hand, absolutely are judging me for trying to talk people down from their ire by describing it as being judgmental.

And he isn't doing the port. He isn't doing the thing about which we all want updates. We also know there were business/legal issues, and is entirely likely that he can't say more about some of the delays because of said business/legal agreements. Obviously we would all like more transparency, and asking for that is entirely reasonable, but that isn't what everyone is doing, are they? Angry screeds aren't just expressing a desire for more information.

Finally, again I will say that I understand everyone's frustration. I do. It is hard to be patient for this long. However, getting angry here (or anywhere else on the internet for that matter) and making these complaints repeatedly... well, it isn't going to get the port done faster, is it? I mean I don't see how it could. The only thing I see it doing is putting people off of the game that we all obviously care about, and I don't think that's helpful. I certainly would be hesitant to go through updating this game again if I was going to catch this much flak for it. I'd like to make this as easy on CA as possible so that he might consider continuing to expand the game a bit.
Your first post in this thread quoted another user and then you replaced their text with "An impassioned if ill-informed rant."

How would you classify that if not judgemental?

As to the rest: CA hired someone to do the port. That means he would be in a position to give updates on how they are progressing. If he doesn't know, then that in itself is problematic.

I'd like to remind everyone to avoid accusations or rudeness against others. And just to clarify, people are allowed to vent frustrations or express whatever their opinion on the mobile port may be in this thread. I think it's important for those of us that are active on the forums to remember that people are allowed to express an opinion or point even if it's come up previously in the thread. I'm happy to clarify further if necessary!
Apologies if my response above goes against this. I've just been a bit frustrated that it seems like this thread gets tone-policed a lot by some of the more regular posters.

imnvs

Local Legend
Your first post in this thread quoted another user and then you replaced their text with "An impassioned if ill-informed rant."

How would you classify that if not judgemental?
"Impassioned" means they were very passionate. "Ill-informed" is what you yourself said we all still are. How was that not just describing what was happening?

Isa730

Rancher
Apologies if my response above goes against this. I've just been a bit frustrated that it seems like this thread gets tone-policed a lot by some of the more regular posters.
I'm not quite a prominent figure on these forums, but I just wanted to give you and nararabbit props for handling this situation so maturely! Since this isn't a Stardew issue and is more just about forum discourse, I thought it might just be important to say that we should all be allowed to voice our opinions on the timeliness of the port, whether positive or negative.

That being said, let's please not nitpick people's comments unless they're about the game/port itself (for example, providing more information on CA's responses) or unless it's been asked of you!

In an attempt to focus more on the actual issue at hand--I do agree it's important for CA to be a bit more consistent with updates. That being said, as a future game designer/creative person in general, I understand his frustration with having to keep up with a game that he's stated to be really tired of working on! Of course, this is a commitment that needs to be upheld, but I'm just trying to think on a human level as well. No matter what though, I hope all gets worked out soon, both so mobile players are up to date and so he can continue working on things he's passionate about!