The 1.5 update is now available on iOS and Android! [Updated 1/7]

imnvs

Local Legend
As far as where people are seeing anti-mobile sentiment, both Twitter and the SDV Reddit have had people saying that mobile players don't deserve / shouldn't get 1.5 because it's taking CA's time away from the real platforms/haunted chocolatier. The sentiment definitely exists.
To be fair, that's the wilds of the internet... not part of the community. That random @$$holes on the internet believe something toxic is unsurprising, but know that they are just that... @$$holes whose opinions aren't worth the electrons it took to get their stupid message out to the world. They are selfish and self-centered, and clearly not good people. Why care about their opinions?

Ellajoy

Rancher
I appreciate the issues to update a game to all platforms, but to wait 7 months to finally hear it still long ways off and new company needed to do update is more than I can support. I have enjoyed the game, but will find a new one. The 1.5 update is now old news and all secrets have been shown Many times. Not anything left to be excited about, so I am choosing not to wait anymore or play it when it arrives in 2022 or 2023. Best wishes to Stardew Valley, it was fun, but tired of waiting.
Have you tried any coding? If you haven't you should. Concerned ape needs to work VERY HARD to get it done. Sorry if I sound like a critic it's just how I feel.

Reactions: Tom

Kreeate

Rancher
Personally, I'm annoyed by people screaming for updates.

This developer is essentially releasing updates (major game changing additions) for free. People who are moaning about it are not entitled to anything but the base game. That is all.

Any updates and additions should be considered as bonus content and has never been a "promise" of added content. The game is complete, so to speak. Your specific platform does not give you the right to attack the developer, nor to complain about a game that was considered complete when you bought it.

It's a brilliant game (statistics clearly speak for it) and any additional content should be considered a gift, and not a "right".

Phew!...

Glad I got that off my chest.

Personally, I'm annoyed by people screaming for updates.

This developer is essentially releasing updates (major game changing additions) for free. People who are moaning about it are not entitled to anything but the base game. That is all.

Any updates and additions should be considered as bonus content and has never been a "promise" of added content. The game is complete, so to speak. Your specific platform does not give you the right to attack the developer, nor to complain about a game that was considered complete when you bought it.

It's a brilliant game (statistics clearly speak for it) and any additional content should be considered a gift, and not a "right".

Phew!...

Glad I got that off my chest.
Respectfully I disagree with this sentiment. Think about it from the perspective of the mobile user. Due to their platform, they're missing out on:
- An Island, which gives you season-agnostic farming to the tune of 500+ tiles, or basically another 5 Greenhouses.
- Tool and Weapon Enchantments
- An entire extra dungeon
- Increased difficulty modes for both the Mines and Skull Caverns
- New Crops
- New Fish
- New Recipes
- New Equipment
- a New Character
- The Task Board, and through it, 18 new quests, with new cutscenes, and new items as exclusive rewards for them
- Mr. Qi's Walnut Room, and through it, *another* 10 new quests, with exclusive rewards including but not limited to unlocking access to all buildings at all times of day, the Horse Flute, universal storage, and more

Yes, it's *huge*, and wildly impressive, and greatly appreciated, and the fact that it's free is absurd. However to call it game changing is, in my opinion, understating it a bit. Of COURSE Mobile users want access to all of this content. They want the same game that players on other platforms have. Right now, they really don't have that. That being said, it's totally understandable, albeit unfortunate, that it can't be wished into being available for the platform, and it's being worked on and will be released (also for free) when it's ready.

However, my main disagreement is in the idea that folks don't have the right to complain about a game, at any time, and under any circumstances. In my opinion it's important for other players to respect the right of folks to express the ways in which they find games dis-satisfactory at all times and regardless of their own perceptions of the completeness or quality of the game in question. It's as important, if not moreso, than the developer(s) respecting that right. After all, if we don't foster an environment where folks can express the areas where they find there to be shortcomings, how are the developers to know and improve? This game offers plenty of evidence to the fact that no game is ever 'complete', until and unless the developer decides to stop working on it. Though I sincerely wish CA had charged for some of these major content patches (they are definitely worth it), him releasing them for free doesn't change the fact that it's evidence of good developers working on improving an already great product, and an important part of that process is player feedback, good or bad.

Now that's not to say that I think players are 'entitled' to anything, but saying that they feel that waiting an extra 9+ months for content to be available for the mobile platform is unacceptable is not attacking the developer. Saying that he should hire someone able to get it done quicker if he wants them to support future projects on the mobile platform is good, useful feedback for the developer. Trying to shut down that discourse is, in my opinion, more useless and damaging than their complaining is in the first place. So while I vehemently disagree with any characterizations of malicious intent, conspiracy theories, and the idea that anyone is "entitled" to free content, it is my opinion that the correct way to counter such viewpoints is to express my own, that of admiration and appreciation for the tremendous work and awesome product created by CA. It should be clear (and is if you look at this thread) that the majority of people feel that way. I do not feel that the appropriate way to counter those viewpoints is to try to shut them down or to act as though they don't have the right to express themselves, especially on this, literally a forum for discussion of the game.

Anyway that's my view on it, take it or leave it, obviously with my viewpoint being what it is I don't feel it's my place to tell you what views you can have or should express any more than it is my place to tell them. I'm just doing exactly what I indicated, adding my viewpoint though it diverges. I know it's unlikely that anyone on the internet will ever convince anyone else they should change their opinion, but I do hope you'll at least give this some consideration. Thank you for your time and have a great day regardless.

Kreeate

Rancher
Respectfully I disagree with this sentiment. Think about it from the perspective of the mobile user. Due to their platform, they're missing out on:
- An Island, which gives you season-agnostic farming to the tune of 500+ tiles, or basically another 5 Greenhouses.
- Tool and Weapon Enchantments
- An entire extra dungeon
- Increased difficulty modes for both the Mines and Skull Caverns
- New Crops
- New Fish
- New Recipes
- New Equipment
- a New Character
- The Task Board, and through it, 18 new quests, with new cutscenes, and new items as exclusive rewards for them
- Mr. Qi's Walnut Room, and through it, *another* 10 new quests, with exclusive rewards including but not limited to unlocking access to all buildings at all times of day, the Horse Flute, universal storage, and more

Yes, it's *huge*, and wildly impressive, and greatly appreciated, and the fact that it's free is absurd. However to call it game changing is, in my opinion, understating it a bit. Of COURSE Mobile users want access to all of this content. They want the same game that players on other platforms have. Right now, they really don't have that. That being said, it's totally understandable, albeit unfortunate, that it can't be wished into being available for the platform, and it's being worked on and will be released (also for free) when it's ready.

However, my main disagreement is in the idea that folks don't have the right to complain about a game, at any time, and under any circumstances. In my opinion it's important for other players to respect the right of folks to express the ways in which they find games dis-satisfactory at all times and regardless of their own perceptions of the completeness or quality of the game in question. It's as important, if not moreso, than the developer(s) respecting that right. After all, if we don't foster an environment where folks can express the areas where they find there to be shortcomings, how are the developers to know and improve? This game offers plenty of evidence to the fact that no game is ever 'complete', until and unless the developer decides to stop working on it. Though I sincerely wish CA had charged for some of these major content patches (they are definitely worth it), him releasing them for free doesn't change the fact that it's evidence of good developers working on improving an already great product, and an important part of that process is player feedback, good or bad.

Now that's not to say that I think players are 'entitled' to anything, but saying that they feel that waiting an extra 9+ months for content to be available for the mobile platform is unacceptable is not attacking the developer. Saying that he should hire someone able to get it done quicker if he wants them to support future projects on the mobile platform is good, useful feedback for the developer. Trying to shut down that discourse is, in my opinion, more useless and damaging than their complaining is in the first place. So while I vehemently disagree with any characterizations of malicious intent, conspiracy theories, and the idea that anyone is "entitled" to free content, it is my opinion that the correct way to counter such viewpoints is to express my own, that of admiration and appreciation for the tremendous work and awesome product created by CA. It should be clear (and is if you look at this thread) that the majority of people feel that way. I do not feel that the appropriate way to counter those viewpoints is to try to shut them down or to act as though they don't have the right to express themselves, especially on this, literally a forum for discussion of the game.

Anyway that's my view on it, take it or leave it, obviously with my viewpoint being what it is I don't feel it's my place to tell you what views you can have or should express any more than it is my place to tell them. I'm just doing exactly what I indicated, adding my viewpoint though it diverges. I know it's unlikely that anyone on the internet will ever convince anyone else they should change their opinion, but I do hope you'll at least give this some consideration. Thank you for your time and have a great day regardless.
Of course, your opinion is as valid as anyone's, but...

When I buy a game, any game, I do so with the understanding that I've paid for what is there right now.
There are a plethora of games out there with "DLC" content that you have to pay for to access.

SDV is the exception to this. The fact that some content is only currently available to different platforms is irrelevant. Additional content was never "promised" and shouldn't be expected by anyone on any platform. It's FREE content. No strings attached. By virtue and grace of the developer.
The game was sold "as is" with no promises regarding additional content. Additional content is a bonus, not a part of the actual original gamne.

My opinion: Anyone moaning about "updates" and "additional content" are acting as if being entitled to something they're not.

Of course, your opinion is as valid as anyone's, but...

When I buy a game, any game, I do so with the understanding that I've paid for what is there right now.
There are a plethora of games out there with "DLC" content that you have to pay for to access.

SDV is the exception to this. The fact that some content is only currently available to different platforms is irrelevant. Additional content was never "promised" and shouldn't be expected by anyone on any platform. It's FREE content. No strings attached. By virtue and grace of the developer.
The game was sold "as is" with no promises regarding additional content. Additional content is a bonus, not a part of the actual original gamne.

My opinion: Anyone moaning about "updates" and "additional content" are acting as if being entitled to something they're not.
Sure, but this disregards that the additional content is there. I'm not seeing folks argue that they're entitled to new areas or new content or new quests or anything else. I'm seeing folks ask that a platform which the developer indicated was a supported platform get the patch which the developer indicated was being made for it in a more timely fashion. CA DID promise that the additional content was coming for mobile. He indicated it SHOULD be expected to be available on that platform. This is a quote from him 3 months ago:

"Mobile players, nothing new but I just want say again that the 1.5 update port is actively in development by the porting team, and there is continuous progress being made. I remain fully committed to seeing the 1.5 update on mobile. I really appreciate your patience with this "

This post was made back in July:

"Hey everyone,

I know you’ve all been waiting a while for the 1.5 update for Stardew Valley on mobile. While it is underway, it may be a while off yet. The main reason for this is that I had to get someone new to port the 1.5 update to mobile versions of the game, which has caused the mobile update to take much longer than it originally would have. Finding someone new to do the port took some time, but it was necessary.

I appreciate your trust and patience, and want to assure you that I’m doing everything within my power to get the 1.5 update out to you all as soon as possible."

Do you not see that it's entirely possible, and reasonable, that someone may have decided Months ago to purchase Stardew Valley on Mobile with the expectation of being able to experience 1.5 content? Yes, delays happen, situations happen, and it is what it is. But to say that there were no promises regarding additional content is just outright false. If 1.5 were to never come to mobile, it would indeed be a violation of trust.

Let me bring forth a situation which could be considered comparable. Diablo III released without content which had been the primary focus of prior E3 previews, which is to say the PVP arena mode. The Box for the game indicated the PVP arena mode was present, and they put stickers over them saying it was to be released at a later date. Many people bought the game with an expectation of exactly that, additional content. It was never released. Some form of PVP was released, "brawling", with (in Blizzard's own words) "No rules, scores, or limits", but that wasn't the mode which was pulled, demo'd, or promised. At the time the game was released, they had indicated "When the PvP patch is ultimately ready, it will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We'll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team's skulls."

That never happened, not even close. As such, the failure to release additional content beyond the complete base game which was purchased was a violation of trust and a broken promise. Can you not see that CA failing to release 1.5 on mobile would be, at this point, the same thing?

Kreeate

Rancher
Sure, but this disregards that the additional content is there. I'm not seeing folks argue that they're entitled to new areas or new content or new quests or anything else. I'm seeing folks ask that a platform which the developer indicated was a supported platform get the patch which the developer indicated was being made for it in a more timely fashion. CA DID promise that the additional content was coming for mobile. He indicated it SHOULD be expected to be available on that platform. This is a quote from him 3 months ago:

"Mobile players, nothing new but I just want say again that the 1.5 update port is actively in development by the porting team, and there is continuous progress being made. I remain fully committed to seeing the 1.5 update on mobile. I really appreciate your patience with this "

This post was made back in July:

"Hey everyone,

I know you’ve all been waiting a while for the 1.5 update for Stardew Valley on mobile. While it is underway, it may be a while off yet. The main reason for this is that I had to get someone new to port the 1.5 update to mobile versions of the game, which has caused the mobile update to take much longer than it originally would have. Finding someone new to do the port took some time, but it was necessary.

I appreciate your trust and patience, and want to assure you that I’m doing everything within my power to get the 1.5 update out to you all as soon as possible."

Do you not see that it's entirely possible, and reasonable, that someone may have decided Months ago to purchase Stardew Valley on Mobile with the expectation of being able to experience 1.5 content? Yes, delays happen, situations happen, and it is what it is. But to say that there were no promises regarding additional content is just outright false. If 1.5 were to never come to mobile, it would indeed be a violation of trust.

Let me bring forth a situation which could be considered comparable. Diablo III released without content which had been the primary focus of prior E3 previews, which is to say the PVP arena mode. The Box for the game indicated the PVP arena mode was present, and they put stickers over them saying it was to be released at a later date. Many people bought the game with an expectation of exactly that, additional content. It was never released. Some form of PVP was released, "brawling", with (in Blizzard's own words) "No rules, scores, or limits", but that wasn't the mode which was pulled, demo'd, or promised. At the time the game was released, they had indicated "When the PvP patch is ultimately ready, it will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We'll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team's skulls."

That never happened, not even close. As such, the failure to release additional content beyond the complete base game which was purchased was a violation of trust and a broken promise. Can you not see that CA failing to release 1.5 on mobile would be, at this point, the same thing?
Buying something with the expectation of something more than what you bought, is monumentally stupid, and the purchaser should and most often get, exactly what they deserve.
Let's discuss this again when the mobile update never comes. It's late, yes, but it will come. This is a moot point.

Odin

Staff member
I just want to chime in and remind everyone that it's understandable for people to be frustrated by delays, especially for something they might be looking forward to. But it's important to remember that in most cases, if people are frustrated it comes from a place of caring about the game.

Buying something with the expectation of something more than what you bought, is monumentally stupid, and the purchaser should and most often get, exactly what they deserve.
Let's discuss this again when the mobile update never comes. It's late, yes, but it will come. This is a moot point.
this is only true if the person from whom you purchased it cannot be trusted. I don’t believe that to be true in this case, and I agree it will come. Just be aware, that’s the position you’re actually arguing, that CA can’t be trusted to deliver on promises and folks should only rely on that which is in front of them. I don’t agree with that assessment and don’t believe that trusting CA is “monumentally stupid” and that folks doing so deserve to be disappointed. Rather I feel that folks can safely trust that he is indeed doing everything that can be done to deliver on those promises, and that it’s fair for them to expect those promises to be delivered upon. To that end, I think expressing an expectation that the content eventually be delivered upon is not acting entitled to something to which they are not.

Tom

Rancher
[Original message removed]
A grand exit with a personal attack is not cool. I am very glad I don't see much of that around here.

Last edited by a moderator:

LRangerR

Local Legend
If CA hadn't said he was going to release the full 1.5 update on mobile, i wouldn't have been surprised if he skipped it like most developers. Smartphone gaming is (in my opinion, which i know many won't agree with) a low priority. But alas, he's said that he wants to do it, so that's on him. That being said, a surprising amount of people in the SDV community understand exactly how hard the coding is and all the complications that arise from it and everything else that is going on in CA's world rn.

Getting the 1.5 update out for mobile, with all that stuff going on, is nothing less than a Herculean effort imo

nararabbit

Greenhorn
Nobody here has told you to go buy a PC. That is a false equivalency.

And we've told you all that we understand your frustration. We get it. We know we would be frustrated too and that it is hard to be patient.

...but patience is really the only option. Making false accusations about CA, or regularly posting to demand updates or complain for the 5th time (and I'm not saying you've posted that many times to complain, but some have), or getting angry at folks just because they have the update... none of these are going to make it happen any time sooner.
I’ve absolutely been told on other platforms that I should just switch to PC. I can go find actual quotes if you like.

Reddit is the worst, if any mobile user is upset or even a new visitor asks if there is an update, they get dogpiled on by commenters who are “tired of hearing it.” Okay, but users are tired of waiting over a year compared to other platforms, and they should be allowed to feel so without having fingers wagged at them for not being grateful enough that they might get an update others already have.

I guess my main issue is that users who already have the update are telling US to be patient, but I can guarantee if the shoe were on the other foot the same contingent of people would also be complaining and frustrated about being shut down all the time.

I really like CA and I do not think he is greedy or anything else negative. But I have never in my life seen such a personality cult around a creator where anything that isn’t 100% positive has to be immediately defended (barring attacks on his character or something personal). For example, I think it is very poor taste to be continually posting content about a new game. At this point I am becoming soured on anything new anyway, because I don’t want to deal with this same negative experience a second time…

nararabbit

Greenhorn
I’ve absolutely been told on other platforms that I should just switch to PC. I can go find actual quotes if you like.

Reddit is the worst, if any mobile user is upset or even a new visitor asks if there is an update, they get dogpiled on by commenters who are “tired of hearing it.” Okay, but users are tired of waiting over a year compared to other platforms, and they should be allowed to feel so without having fingers wagged at them for not being grateful enough that they might get an update others already have.

I guess my main issue is that users who already have the update are telling US to be patient, but I can guarantee if the shoe were on the other foot the same contingent of people would also be complaining and frustrated about being shut down all the time.

I really like CA and I do not think he is greedy or anything else negative. But I have never in my life seen such a personality cult around a creator where anything that isn’t 100% positive has to be immediately defended (barring attacks on his character or something personal). For example, I think it is very poor taste to be continually posting content about a new game. At this point I am becoming soured on anything new anyway, because I don’t want to deal with this same negative experience a second time…
If someone feels so strongly that updates are not promised, then CA should just delete the updates across *all* platforms, equalizing the playing field, and he owes us nothing beyond the base game anyway right? I’m sure PC users wouldn’t mind. I’m being facetious of course. :P

imnvs

Local Legend
Nobody here has told you to go buy a PC. That is a false equivalency.
I’ve absolutely been told on other platforms that I should just switch to PC.
Emphasis added.
To be fair, that's the wilds of the internet... not part of the community. That random @$$holes on the internet believe something toxic is unsurprising, but know that they are just that... @$$holes whose opinions aren't worth the electrons it took to get their stupid message out to the world. They are selfish and self-centered, and clearly not good people. Why care about their opinions?

imnvs

Local Legend
I did not originally state that it was here. You added that in your response.
Yes, I know you didn't say anything about the emphasis prior. That's precisely why I said emphasis added... to draw attention to a specific part of what I said and you responded to and to draw attention to exactly what you responded with, because hopefully then you will see that your entire response missed the thrust of what I was getting at... and then included my other earlier response that you must have missed. The Stardew community will never tell you that. The Stardew community wants you to get the update. The Stardew community universally condemns all the stupid, selfish stuff said by stupid, selfish people that you and others have complained about... and your response was to tell me again that stupid, selfish people on the stupid, selfish part of the internet said mean things? Those stupid, selfish people don't count. We don't care about the opinion of stupid, selfish people because they are not good people and are not part of the community.

Last edited:

nararabbit

Greenhorn
I am confused.

To be clear, when someone says “Stardew Community” I take it to mean anyone who is a fan of SV regardless of the platform they choose to express their fan-ness on. Whether that’s posting their art on Deviant Art, sharing screenshots on Twitter, asking questions on Reddit, etc.

If you mean these specific forums only, then yes, you are correct and I misunderstood your meaning due to the limits of communicating on the internet.

imnvs

Local Legend
I am confused.

To be clear, when someone says “Stardew Community” I take it to mean anyone who is a fan of SV regardless of the platform they choose to express their fan-ness on. Whether that’s posting their art on Deviant Art, sharing screenshots on Twitter, asking questions on Reddit, etc.

If you mean these specific forums only, then yes, you are correct and I misunderstood your meaning due to the limits of communicating on the internet.
See, that's the thing... I only used the word community when I was excluding self-centered jerks from it. I initially only said "here", referring to this, the official SDV forums, not in an attempt to exclude anyone from the community, but... well... I don't think those sorts of people are part of any community as a community is a fellowship of folk sharing common interests and goals, and they obviously aren't the sharing type.