A silly challenge

Farrow

Sodbuster
I came up with the idea figuring it'd be fun and cute, it's called the "energy plant" farm, your only allowed to sell batteries, that's the only limitation. The exception to this is when doing the quest for solar panels, which is fair game (cause otherwise you have no consistent way to make money) no end goal, just trying to have fun x3 what do you all think? Can you get a strategy to get as many lightning rods before summer as possible? (You need 7 foraging and 10 bat wings and 5? Iron bars each don't remember the exact amount of bars) and how much money can you make?

Farrow

Sodbuster
And I've got a good start. Level four foraging on day four. (Feild snacks are a life saver, and decent forage spawns helped a ton)

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Honestly just chug field snacks, since your only money maker is batteries and quests that means you can clear your entire farm.

tool upgrades are a pain but most likely worth it. You won’t really be getting any until The first days of summer though.

animaion canceling would near eliminate the need but you play on Xbox so that’s a no.

as soon as you get cash I’d invest in the bus which will be really useful.
right after that a barn, some cows for cheese is nice but mostly pigs for rain totems, if you aren’t really really lucky or don’t want to do dozens of skull caverns resets for rain totems, this is the best way.
Tapper pines are a need, don’t actually mine any pines on your farm, leave them as you’ll never really need that much empty space.

grind level 45 for wings, you want to get to ginger island as soon as possible for solar panels but you have to decide whether selling the quest item to complete it is outside of the quest boundaries.

Go joja is near obvious.

Farrow

Sodbuster
You thought this out way more than I did XD and the way I'm getting around the money I make from the ginger island quest for solar panels is marking how much I made and ima buy as many qi coins as necessary (rounding up) so I only made money I can use from batteries

Hill Myna

Farmer
There are three other minor ways of getting Battery Packs that you might maybe have overlooked: Iridium Bats, special loot in Skull Cavern, and Pam & Kent's mail gifts.

Iridium Bats have a 5% chance of dropping a 'Pack upon death, doubled with a Burglar's Ring.

Special loot in Skull Cavern can be dropped from Crates (2.2% of Crates) and monsters (very rarely), of which 8% will be a Battery Pack.

Pam & Kent will randomly send you mail (very unreliably), which can give you a Battery Pack if you get lucky or you're okay – and patient – with reseting the day. With my experience, you'll need a combination of both! ;D

But unfortunately, I don't think any of these are "farmable" in the sense that batteries from Lightning Rods and Solar Panels are.

–––––

@FilthyGorilla has some solid advice on how to get set up. For maximizing the potential, though, you have four options:
  1. Maxed Out Solar Panels – They are more expensive to craft, but give you a consistent, predictable stream of output, however they take much longer to process.
  2. A Thundery Approach – Lightning Rods the item are much cheaper, but they also require the infrastructure to give you Rain Totems. They are less consistent, and it relies on chance when you get the opportunity to refresh to "storm chain". Plus they're limited to the amount of Lightning that can strike in one day, which isn't particularly high. But since they can produce much faster with the right weather luck, you can get more batteries without the investment of hundreds of machines.
  3. Mixed Option #1 – You chain the storms when you get them, and have the Solar Panels to make the most of the gaps in the thunder cycle.
  4. Mixed Option #2 – Alternatively, you have the Lightning Rods to make the most of the unfortunate weather, and the Solar Panels are where your money's at.
If it was me, I'd probably go for Mixed Option #2, because it requires less time spent harvesting, Solar Panels can be placed off the Farm, and they're more expensive – which simply means more fun time spent in Skull Cavern! And only having to harvest them once a week would mean that I'd have the time to do properly deep runs.

Whichever way, Skull Cavern is going to be your best friend. You'll get Quartz, Iron, Gold, Coal, and Bat Wings all in one place. Plus you might get some bonus batteries from the Bats and Crates while you're there! :)

A left-field approach would be to farm hundreds (thousands?) of Fairy Roses (in Pot-Sheds) and Diamonds via Crystalariums. This would give you enough Fairy Dust to justify spamming it on Solar Panels, however you would need 7 Dust for 1 Battery, so maybe it's not such a great idea.

Whatever you do, I think this a really fun idea for a challenge farm, enjoy your run!

Farrow

Sodbuster
There are three other minor ways of getting Battery Packs that you might maybe have overlooked: Iridium Bats, special loot in Skull Cavern, and Pam & Kent's mail gifts.

Iridium Bats have a 5% chance of dropping a 'Pack upon death, doubled with a Burglar's Ring.

Special loot in Skull Cavern can be dropped from Crates (2.2% of Crates) and monsters (very rarely), of which 8% will be a Battery Pack.

Pam & Kent will randomly send you mail (very unreliably), which can give you a Battery Pack if you get lucky or you're okay – and patient – with reseting the day. With my experience, you'll need a combination of both! ;D

But unfortunately, I don't think any of these are "farmable" in the sense that batteries from Lightning Rods and Solar Panels are.

–––––

@FilthyGorilla has some solid advice on how to get set up. For maximizing the potential, though, you have four options:
  1. Maxed Out Solar Panels – They are more expensive to craft, but give you a consistent, predictable stream of output, however they take much longer to process.
  2. A Thundery Approach – Lightning Rods the item are much cheaper, but they also require the infrastructure to give you Rain Totems. They are less consistent, and it relies on chance when you get the opportunity to refresh to "storm chain". Plus they're limited to the amount of Lightning that can strike in one day, which isn't particularly high. But since they can produce much faster with the right weather luck, you can get more batteries without the investment of hundreds of machines.
  3. Mixed Option #1 – You chain the storms when you get them, and have the Solar Panels to make the most of the gaps in the thunder cycle.
  4. Mixed Option #2 – Alternatively, you have the Lightning Rods to make the most of the unfortunate weather, and the Solar Panels are where your money's at.
If it was me, I'd probably go for Mixed Option #2, because it requires less time spent harvesting, Solar Panels can be placed off the Farm, and they're more expensive – which simply means more fun time spent in Skull Cavern! And only having to harvest them once a week would mean that I'd have the time to do properly deep runs.

Whichever way, Skull Cavern is going to be your best friend. You'll get Quartz, Iron, Gold, Coal, and Bat Wings all in one place. Plus you might get some bonus batteries from the Bats and Crates while you're there! :)

A left-field approach would be to farm hundreds (thousands?) of Fairy Roses (in Pot-Sheds) and Diamonds via Crystalariums. This would give you enough Fairy Dust to justify spamming it on Solar Panels, however you would need 7 Dust for 1 Battery, so maybe it's not such a great idea.

Whatever you do, I think this a really fun idea for a challenge farm, enjoy your run!
You missed one minor detail, and that'd be technically mixed option 3 use solar panels in the dessert (where it's always sunny) make the most of storms when they happen and chain then when you can.
Combining this with making friends with Pam (parsnips) and working in skull cavern should make sufficient money in year one (though it does mean investing lots of money into a pickaxe and decent sword as well) and in year two making friends with Kent and setting up crystalariums with fire quartz and deconstructors, for willys treasure bobbers and lead bobbers, for more bars and quartz you should be able to get some decent money going pretty well soon enough. I started working on it then got distracted, as I'm gonna 100% minecrafts achievements list (down to 8 now if your wondering)

Farrow

Sodbuster
Does anyone know if Rain Totems have a chance to spawn a thunderstorm?
"Using a Rain Totem will normally only cause regular rain. However, if used on a stormy day, the next day will also be stormy instead of rainy." -Stardew valley wiki under rain Totems and caveats

LRangerR

Local Legend
In this thread we discuss the viability of a Rain Totem instead of Sprinklers strategy. It might be useful to you, but Idk if you want to dedicate a small portion of the farm to collecting the ingredients (pigs and tar)

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
You missed one minor detail, and that'd be technically mixed option 3 use solar panels in the dessert (where it's always sunny) make the most of storms when they happen and chain then when you can.
Combining this with making friends with Pam (parsnips) and working in skull cavern should make sufficient money in year one (though it does mean investing lots of money into a pickaxe and decent sword as well) and in year two making friends with Kent and setting up crystalariums with fire quartz and deconstructors, for willys treasure bobbers and lead bobbers, for more bars and quartz you should be able to get some decent money going pretty well soon enough. I started working on it then got distracted, as I'm gonna 100% minecrafts achievements list (down to 8 now if your wondering)
The desert uses the same rain pattern as the mainland, even if it "looks" sunny, it isn't.
This is often misunderstood though it is a good place to put solar panels as you can go and have them lined up in a path to the sc entrance.
I had something similar a while back:
Aydin_9-4-2022_86359946.png

This was more for when I got MCR every week, even if there was rain I would still get batteries every 2 weeks, a bit less on average.

This also means that winter is a great time for solar panels, it never rains on the mainland unless player spawned and there are no thunderstorms so it's your only real reliable way of getting batteries then as there are no thunderstorms on GI.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Achievements, advancements or old achievements?

Farrow

Sodbuster
The desert uses the same rain pattern as the mainland, even if it "looks" sunny, it isn't.
This is often misunderstood though it is a good place to put solar panels as you can go and have them lined up in a path to the sc entrance.
I had something similar a while back:
View attachment 11935

This was more for when I got MCR every week, even if there was rain I would still get batteries every 2 weeks, a bit less on average.

This also means that winter is a great time for solar panels, it never rains on the mainland unless player spawned and there are no thunderstorms so it's your only real reliable way of getting batteries then as there are no thunderstorms on GI.
I didn't realize that, it's ready every Sunday for me even when it rains. Maybe this is a minor difference in platforms?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I didn't realize that, it's ready every Sunday for me even when it rains. Maybe this is a minor difference in platforms?
No it should be synced with the mainland, this is an old feature, before it was ported to console or any other platform, as far as I know there has never been a desert weather system.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Achievements. I just finished them all.
GG, I only have about 80% but I honestly don't care for most of them, especially the new ones just seem useless. I do have a lot of hours on bedrock edition though, my favoured edition actually as I enjoy all the bugs and cool exploits as well as smoother gameplay and some qol features.

Farrow

Sodbuster
GG, I only have about 80% but I honestly don't care for most of them, especially the new ones just seem useless. I do have a lot of hours on bedrock edition though, my favoured edition actually as I enjoy all the bugs and cool exploits as well as smoother gameplay and some qol features.
I started at less than half. But I focused on getting them and found some cheese for some of them but spent litteraly four hours at an afk iron farm because I couldn't find a good place to mine for iron within a twelve thousand block reach around 0,0. But yes I prefer Java but don't have the option sadly, and yeah the new ones are horrible. Wax on wax off took two hours of litteraly nothing for a copper headband. But in the end I can't help but be upset that there's an achievement on Playstation for getting all the other achievements for the game but not on Xbox... rrrrr. But at least I can wait to get the new ones done as they come out now. And I somehow ended the achievements with "the beginning?" Cause the first time I spawned the wither it didn't give me the achievement