A cooking revamp

Daniiiiii

Sodbuster
Earlier today I had an idea for cooking revamp. This cooking revamp would introduce a whole new cooking system like/inspired by The Love of Cooking by bblueberry on nexus mods. Everything on this thread is what I thought of!

It would introduce:
- a cooking mini-game like the fishing one
  • if you fail the cooking mini-game, you have a small chance to receive the item you were cooking or get a notification on the bottom of the screen saying “you burnt the [food name],” depending on your luck for that day. If you don’t fail at cooking the item you have the chance to receive a normal, silver, gold, or iridium quality of that item depending on your luck for that day.
- a new skill called “cooking”
  • as you successfully cook the food you‘ll earn EXP to level up! On the other hand, if you fail at cooking an item depending on your luck that day there is a chance to lose EXP. Once you earn enough EXP to level up you’ll learn new re
  • I don’t have any ideas for professions so if you’ve any please share them with me!
- a new wallet item called “Gus’s Golden Spatula”
  • once you’ve reached level 10 in the cooking skill you will unlock a secret event with Gus when you walk into the saloon. He will be cleaning out his pantry/storage and he will stumble upon a Golden Spatula. He turns around and sees you. He explains to you how this Spatula was passed down from generation to generation until he lost it. Towards the end of the cut scene, he will give you the spatula! (This is a rough idea of how I think the cutscene should be. if you’ve any ideas please share them with me)!
  • the golden spatula will always give you a golden or iridium quality of the food and you have a slight chance to receive double or triple of that item. You also have a chance to increase the buffs of that food item!
- a new event
  • this event will be held in cindersap forest during fall! You’ll have to cook as much food as you can to win. If you successfully cook a normal dish (no star) you will receive 5 points, if you cook a silver dish you will receive 7 points, if you cook a golden fish you will receive 9 points, and if you a cook IRIDIUM quality dish you will receive 11 points! On the other hand if you fail to cook a dish you will lose 2 or more points depending on luck.
  • you will compete against Gus, Evelyn, Abigail, and Linus. The winner will receive a golden chef hat!
That's all the ideas I had for this cooking revamp. If you’ve any other ideas please share them!

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
There is already a way to get gold quality food... and it's late game (so I won't say more) and expensive. An item that you get just for getting a skill to max that guarantees that quality or better is probably not going to work out.

Also, no skills result in you losing experience for any reason currently, even the skill you compare this one to, Fishing. I'd suggest cutting that part out.

Finally... a cooking skill is not a new suggestion. The most recent, most detailed discussion can be found here: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/cooking-but-better.2867/

Daniiiiii

Sodbuster
There is already a way to get gold quality food... and it's late game (so I won't say more) and expensive. An item that you get just for getting a skill to max that guarantees that quality or better is probably not going to work out.

Also, no skills result in you losing experience for any reason currently, even the skill you compare this one to, Fishing. I'd suggest cutting that part out.

Finally... a cooking skill is not a new suggestion. The most recent, most detailed discussion can be found here: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/cooking-but-better.2867/
As I was thinking of different quality foods i remembered about the late game item. I just thought of adding that idea since the late game item is expensive. I also added that golden and iridium quality idea to the Golden Spatula because it would give the player a reason to obtain it and cook more.

The losing experience part was also an idea I thought of but I was unsure about it. I was unsure about it because like you said no other skill can result in you losing experience. On the other hand losing EXP would make the player unmotivated to even cook. A player can most likely be bad at the cooking mini-game and that would mean they would never earn EXP to level up due to always failing at the mini-game or losing EXP because the player failed.

Thank you for the feedback Imnvs and I’ll check out that detailed discussion you linked in your reply!

Last edited:
They could make the cooking kinda humorous. Especially with the idea of failures. The two worst cooks I could see in stardew dating wise would probably be Abigail and Shane. With failed cooking you could have burnt which would probably give you nausea or the dreaded meal from the cook who doesn't know they are a bad cook.

Event would go as follows.
You come in after a hard day's work.
Your spouse greats you and wants you to eat a special meal.
The bring a serving platter.
Lifts lid
You see what looks to be a purple slime with bone sticking out.
Dialogue: Go on eat up
Optionn1: No I choose life!(Character runs to the side of the room glass breaks and they disappear) -200 friendship
Option2 Sorry I am full (lie) -50 friendship.
Option 3. Sure let me have some(the super mario 64 bowser laugh plays, you gain every debuff in the game, the screen is getting dark, queue a girly scream, you wake up at the doctor's office) +200 and a promise to taste the food prior to serving in the future

Ellajoy

Rancher
They could make the cooking kinda humorous. Especially with the idea of failures. The two worst cooks I could see in stardew dating wise would probably be Abigail and Shane. With failed cooking you could have burnt which would probably give you nausea or the dreaded meal from the cook who doesn't know they are a bad cook.

Event would go as follows.
You come in after a hard day's work.
Your spouse greats you and wants you to eat a special meal.
The bring a serving platter.
Lifts lid
You see what looks to be a purple slime with bone sticking out.
Dialogue: Go on eat up
Optionn1: No I choose life!(Character runs to the side of the room glass breaks and they disappear) -200 friendship
Option2 Sorry I am full (lie) -50 friendship.
Option 3. Sure let me have some(the super mario 64 bowser laugh plays, you gain every debuff in the game, the screen is getting dark, queue a girly scream, you wake up at the doctor's office) +200 and a promise to taste the food prior to serving in the future
It would only be played if married to Abigail, Shane, Alex, Sebastian, Haley, Harvey, Or Maru.
Because Penny, Emily, Leah, and Elliott can probably cook.
And Sam knows he can not cook.
Maru would serve a gear and tool mess.
Abigail would serve monster goodies mixed together such as slime, bug meat and solar and void essence.
I do not know for the other ones.

ISSsloth

Farmer

Maybe the golden spatula could always give gold and the current way of getting gold would be increased to iridium?

Because Penny... can probably cook.
The two worst cooks I could see in stardew dating wise would probably be Abigail and Shane.
In Penny's 6 heart event it's made very clear that Penny isn't the best cook.