a Stardew Valley mod by kdau
It's little! It's lovely! It shows Livin' Off The Land! The Portable TV is a craftable item carried in your inventory that lets you watch TV channels (standard and custom) from anywhere in Stardew Valley.
This version of Portable TV is compatible with Stardew Valley 1.4. It is mostly compatible with Stardew Valley 1.5, but split-screen multiplayer and UI scaling are not yet supported.
This mod should work on Linux, Mac, Windows and Android. On Android, the sounds when the TV turns on and off are not supported.
There are no known problems with multiplayer use. Every player should install the mod, even if they are not using the Portable TV.
There are no known conflicts with other mods. Custom TV channels should display fine alongside the standard ones.
- Install the latest version of SMAPI.
- Install the Json Assets mod.
- To configure this mod without editing a JSON file, optionally install the Generic Mod Config Menu mod.
- Download this mod from the link in the header above.
- Unzip the mod and place both the
[JA]PortableTVfolders inside your
- Run the game using SMAPI.
The Portable TV is a resource item that can be carried in your inventory. Its crafting recipe is available immediately and requires a Gold Bar, 2 Refined Quartz and a Battery Pack.
To use the TV on Linux, Mac or Windows, select it in your inventory and right-click in an open part of the world. You can press "R" on your keyboard (or another key that you configure; see below) to activate any Portable TV in your inventory.
To use the TV on Android, select it in your inventory and tap anywhere in the world. You can also configure the Virtual Keyboard mod to add an "R" button; tapping it will activate any Portable TV in your inventory.
The farmer will pick up the TV and turn it on, showing the familiar channel list. After you have viewed your chosen program, the farmer will turn off the TV and put it away. Just use it again to watch something else.
If you have installed Generic Mod Config Menu, you can access this mod's configuration by clicking the cogwheel button at the lower left corner of the Stardew Valley title screen and then choosing "Portable TV".
Otherwise, you can edit the mod's
config.jsonfile; it will be generated in the mod's main folder (
Mods/PortableTV) the first time you run it. These options are available:
Animate: Set this to
falseto have the Portable TV appear and disappear instantly from the screen.
Static: Set this to
falseto remove the light static from the Portable TV screen.
Music: Set this to
falseto prevent the Portable TV from playing music tracks over the standard channels. (Custom channels should be configured through their own mods.)
ActivateKey: Set this to any valid keybinding that will then activate a Portable TV in your inventory. See the list of keybindings here.
This mod can be translated into any language supported by Stardew Valley. It is currently available in English, Spanish and French, with further limited translations to German, Italian and Portuguese.
Your contribution would be welcome. Please see the details on the wiki for help. You can send me your work in an issue on GitLab or by DM on Discord.
- Like all mods, this one is indebted to ConcernedApe, particularly for the vanilla assets it adapts.
- This mod is an implementation of an idea from HoustoCo.
- This mod would not function without SMAPI by Pathoschild and Json Assets by spacechase0.
- This mod works best with Generic Mod Config Menu by spacechase0.
- Coding of this mod relied on PyTK by Platonymous as a key example.
- The #making-mods channel on the Stardew Valley Discord offered valuable guidance and feedback.
- The French translation was prepared by Inu'tile.
- The sound when the TV turns on is clipped from Turning on an old CRT TV by pfranzen, used under CC BY 3.0.
- The sound when the TV turns off is Electric1.wav by xtrgamr, used under CC BY 3.0.
- The visual static when choosing a channel is adapted from Random static.gif by Atomicdragon136, in the public domain.
- Release notes from existing versions
- Issue tracker for bug reports and feature plans
- MIT license (TLDR: do whatever, but credit me)
- My other mods