Cow petter (best way to get)

hexnessie

Farmer
Hi, I'm rather new to the game, started playing only this month.

I would like to get the automated cow pleaser (petter?) because my cows keep losing heart, poor babies. Unfortunately, I have already ran JojaCorp out of town and completed the Community Center.

Initially I was hoping I'd be able to make some happy feeds for my cows (Marnie hinted at something about amaranth, I also planted corn etc.) but there doesn't seem to be any way to actually feed cows anything other than hay.

So the only way to get the petter thing appears to be from random treasure in the desert, right?

The problem: I'm really bad at fighting in this game. And in all the time I spent trying to go through the desert cave, I haven't found the treasure room even once.

So, the actual question: What is the best strategy of finding the treasure rooms and how many would I have to find to have a decent chance of getting the petter? I have 2 barns, so 2 petters will be necessary.

Here is the best strategy to finding treasure rooms, if you're not good at fighting:

Get the highest luck you can.
Get the most staircases you can.
Use staircases to go through as many floors as possible, hoping for treasure rooms.
Rinse and Repeat.

Some specifics:

Getting the Highest Luck you can:
In addition to checking the TV, looking for days where the Spirits are very happy, you'll want to have eaten food to raise your luck. The best options are, in order (and also order of difficulty), Magic Rock Candy, Lucky Lunch, Pumpkin Soup, or Spicy Eel. Lucky Lunch is probably the best you'll be able to do in large quantities, if you don't like fighting, but it also can take up to a year to put it all together since it requires Blue Jazz (from Spring), Tortillas from Corn (from Summer or Fall) and Sea Cucumbers (from Fall or Winter). Since you have barns and cows aplenty, if it's at the right time of year, you can put together a Bunch of Pumpkin Soup relatively easily, but it won't provide as high of a luck boost.

Note that there is a special late game item which I won't reference here which can make your recipes provide an even higher luck boost, and an item you can get from a secret note which also improves your luck. If you have access to these things you likely know what I'm talking about, if not I don't want to give spoilers unless you specifically ask for them.

Getting the most staircases you can:
There's three ways to get staircases. Money, Stone, or Jade. If you have stone, 99 stone can be turned into a staircase. If you don't have stone, Money can be turned into stone via Robin, and that in turn can be turned into a staircase. The cost on that is 9900. Both of those methods are quite expensive, from an overall resource standpoint, but they are options. Jade can be traded directly for a staircase via the Desert Trader. You can get a Jade every 2 days from a Crystalarium, so if you can get a few of those, you can get staircases rolling in pretty quickly. If you think about it, as long as you're using those staircases, a Crystalarium pumping out Jade is effectively producing 4,950 gold per day so they are Quite valuable in relation to this strategy.

Going through as many floors as possible, hoping for Treasure Rooms:

The Skull Cavern can be quite dangerous if you're not good at fighting, but that doesn't mean you need to just use staircases on *every floor*. If you want to conserve resources while playing it safe and avoiding fighting, your best bet is to see if there is a staircase you can get to without fighting which is already there, or if not, if there are a few rocks you can break hoping for a staircase without significant combat, and then if neither of those is the case, putting a staircase down. You can probably on a lucky day double the amount of floors you go through that way vs just diving straight down with staircases, and unless you have a TON of staircases they'll be your limiting factor, not time, anyway. To make this easier and more effective you really want to bring along some bombs, maybe 30-50 if you can afford them, though that represents 18000-30000 in costs (or 120-200 in Iron ore and 30-50 coal). So don't use a bomb to break 2 rocks, just use them on big clusters, again unless you're very rich.

Rinse and Repeat:

Blade can speak to whether or not the contents of a treasure room are predetermined for a given day, I suspect based on his quest they are not, as well as when and how the treasure room floors are determined. I don't have that information, my apologies. What I will say is that depending on your preferences and wealth level, since delving in the mines is not normally your thing, if you don't get it, you can restart the day and do something else instead, and preserve the staircases and bombs. That's if you're open to such things, just throwing it out there because while I delve in there quite regularly and as such build towards being able to have massive supplies of the above materials, I know that's not universally true. So it might be disheartening to use what might take a while to put together and not get it.

On average, it'll take 17 treasure rooms to find one. It's a 4% chance, and after 17 treasures you'll have found one 50% of the time. Keep in mind that random chance is random though, and 10% of people won't have found one after 56 treasures, so don't be discouraged if you don't find one right away, or even within the first 25. This is however much better than the available alternatives in my opinion, so I definitely think this method is the best option for your stated playstyle. Hope it helps!

Elenna101

Farmer
Blade can speak to whether or not the contents of a treasure room are predetermined for a given day, I suspect based on his quest they are not, as well as when and how the treasure room floors are determined. I don't have that information, my apologies. What I will say is that depending on your preferences and wealth level, since delving in the mines is not normally your thing, if you don't get it, you can restart the day and do something else instead, and preserve the staircases and bombs. That's if you're open to such things, just throwing it out there because while I delve in there quite regularly and as such build towards being able to have massive supplies of the above materials, I know that's not universally true. So it might be disheartening to use what might take a while to put together and not get it.

On average, it'll take 17 treasure rooms to find one. It's a 4% chance, and after 17 treasures you'll have found one 50% of the time. Keep in mind that random chance is random though, and 10% of people won't have found one after 56 treasures, so don't be discouraged if you don't find one right away, or even within the first 25. This is however much better than the available alternatives in my opinion, so I definitely think this method is the best option for your stated playstyle. Hope it helps!
They are not predetermined, no. According to Blade, they're based on a RNG call that's called many times per frame, so it can't really be manipulated. So you can just restart the day, reuse the same staircases, and get different results, if that's something you're okay with doing.

I believe the chance of an auto-petter is technically 1/26 (3.8%), not 1/25 (4%) as the wiki said, because the wiki doesn't take into account the dark cowboy hat that was added in 1.5.2. But Giant Octopodes' numbers are still basically correct.
Also, the chance of getting a treasure room at all is 1% + (daily luck/10) + (luck buff * 1%). For example, if you go on a day with the best possible daily luck (0.1) and with a pumpkin soup (+2 luck buff), the chance of any floor being a treasure floor is 1% + 0.1/10 + 2% = 1% + 1% + 2% = 4%. A couple notes:
  • The first 9 floors can never be treasure floors. If you don't usually get very far in Skull Caverns, that might be why you've never seen a treasure floor.
  • This is decided upon loading a floor. That is, if you take a drop shaft, it's only checking to see if the floor you land on is a treasure floor - you're not skipping any treasure floors by taking a shaft, because the floors you skip are never loaded and therefore the game never decides if they're treasure floors. So taking a shaft gets you one chance at a treasure floor, just like taking a ladder. Of course shafts get you further down and increase the chance of getting iridium (and prismatic shards, which are a 4% chance from iridium nodes, and which you can trade for magic rock candy which gives a huge luck buff).

hexnessie

Farmer
Thank you both!·That's seriously helpful input there.

I've never paid ANY attention to luck in this game, nor have I gotten further than 20 levels in the cave, so that's probably the reason for no treasure.

I'll be building crystalariums and replicating jade for a while, I guess - and manually petting cows in the meantime!

Boo1972

Farmer
I have only found 1 auto-petter in 6 in game years. I might trade in some of my prismatic shard for some magic rock candy. I usually drink triple shot espresso but I might switch to ginger ale. I have 3 stinking dark cow boy hats though. Ugh.

I feel your pain, being a mobile player, there are no auto-petters for us, yet. Knowing it will the this difficult (on my games where community center was route chosen) to get them, when we mobile users finally do get the update, well, that kinda bursts my bubble lol. D'oh!

So many people seem to get offended when folks take the joja route... but I have to say, 50k for that auto-petter in some games sounds tempting. Just gotta sell one's Stardew soul to get that I guess lol.

Thanks for the info about numbers once the update lands folks!

BlaDe

Farmer
There is a more consistent way if you are willing to manip RNG.

Auto-petters can be dropped from boss monsters in the dangerous mines. What a boss monster drops is determined by the tile it dies on.

If you find a boss monster, you can fence it in to restrict its movement, then kill it. My predictor (Map Predictor on Nexus mods) can show you what tile the monster needs to die on.

Other than that, the brute force method in the caverns that has been mentioned is your best bet.

Another way to increase luck is with the charm for your wallet. A secret note with a map directs you to interact with the truck driver, who requests a rabbit foot. :smile:

hexnessie

Farmer
So... I made 115 jade, sold them for 115 staircases, found 3 Lucky Lunches, waited until spirits were on my side, and went through 4 Groundhog Days of staircasing down and reloading.

In total, I found 2 treasure rooms in the 460 (115x4) floors. One of them threw an Omni Geode, and the other a Seed Maker. Yay...

THIS IS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE...

hexnessie

Farmer
If you find a boss monster, you can fence it in to restrict its movement, then kill it. My predictor (Map Predictor on Nexus mods) can show you what tile the monster needs to die on.
I may have to, in the end :(

I'm really bad at fighting anywhere beyond the town Mines -- if the Petter can be dropped there, I guess I could try, I'm comfortable on all floors. I can't really see myself trying to get a flying snake in position so I could kill him in the right spot.

Marnie could just spill the beans on her secret amaranth cow delight recipe, dammit!

Elenna101

Farmer
So... I made 115 jade, sold them for 115 staircases, found 3 Lucky Lunches, waited until spirits were on my side, and went through 4 Groundhog Days of staircasing down and reloading.

In total, I found 2 treasure rooms in the 460 (115x4) floors. One of them threw an Omni Geode, and the other a Seed Maker. Yay...

THIS IS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE...
...if it helps, that's super unlucky? I assume the spirits were "very happy today", so you should have at least a 4.7% chance of a treasure room on each floor past floor 9, so you should be getting 4-5 per reset.
Possibly a silly question, but you're not eating anything else with a buff that might be overriding the lucky lunch buff, are you? Because if you actually only hit 2 4.7% chances in 420 tries (remember, the first 10 floors can't be treasure floors), that's like a 1 in 200 million chance if my math is right. So I suspect something else is wrong.

I may have to, in the end :(

I'm really bad at fighting anywhere beyond the town Mines -- if the Petter can be dropped there, I guess I could try, I'm comfortable on all floors. I can't really see myself trying to get a flying snake in position so I could kill him in the right spot.

Marnie could just spill the beans on her secret amaranth cow delight recipe, dammit!
Note that Blade is talking specifically about boss monsters - so, the slimes with stars on their heads that have a lot more HP and do more damage than regular slimes. (Other types of monsters can be boss monsters, not just slimes, but there's no visual difference so you can't tell if they're a boss monster.)
Also, it has to be in the harder version of the mines - not Skull Caverns, the harder version of the town mines. Not sure if you've unlocked that yet, but (1.5 spoilers) you unlock it by doing Mr. Qi's "Danger in the Deep" challenge and then there's a shrine that lets you toggle it on or off. If you don't know where to find Mr. Qi's challenges then I don't think you can get an auto-petter that way - it's pretty late-game.

Boo1972

Farmer
Well, I’m glad to know that the harder version of the mines might give me an auto petter. I actually really enjoy them. Well, off to battle.

hexnessie

Farmer
...if it helps, that's super unlucky? I assume the spirits were "very happy today",
... ah. No, they weren't THAT happy, as it turns out. All it said was I will have "some extra luck". I thought that was it!

Will try again when the spirits are high.

(I am vaguely aware of the elusive Mr. but haven't ventured that far in the desert cave, because, monsters! Also the only thing other than the lucky meal that I ate was sashimi, not sure if it cancels out the luck bonus - sashimi doesn't have any bonuses at all)

Elenna101

Farmer
... ah. No, they weren't THAT happy, as it turns out. All it said was I will have "some extra luck". I thought that was it!

Will try again when the spirits are high.

(I am vaguely aware of the elusive Mr. but haven't ventured that far in the desert cave, because, monsters! Also the only thing other than the lucky meal that I ate was sashimi, not sure if it cancels out the luck bonus - sashimi doesn't have any bonuses at all)
Hmm, with "some extra luck" you should still have at least a 4.2% chance per floor. The daily luck really matters significantly less than the luck buff.
Sashimi should be fine, yeah. Weird. You did have the icon in the top right representing the +3 luck? I just find it hard to believe that you were *that* unlucky, as opposed to something having gone wrong.

(Also, the Mr. Qi thing I'm talking about is not actually the thing in the desert cave, it's something different. You presumably haven't gotten there yet.)

Sashimi does indeed not cancel anything out, because it has no bonuses, so it's a perfectly fine thing to eat in conjunction with lucky lunches. However I'm a bit confused, you say you haven't ventured that far in the desert cave, but he's on floor 100, and didn't you use 115 staircases? So even if you found no ladders or mineshafts other than the staircases you used, shouldn't you have hit floor 116, and as such you should have encountered him every time, right? My apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Elenna101

Farmer
Sashimi does indeed not cancel anything out, because it has no bonuses, so it's a perfectly fine thing to eat in conjunction with lucky lunches. However I'm a bit confused, you say you haven't ventured that far in the desert cave, but he's on floor 100, and didn't you use 115 staircases? So even if you found no ladders or mineshafts other than the staircases you used, shouldn't you have hit floor 116, and as such you should have encountered him every time, right? My apologies if I'm missing something obvious.
My guess is that since @hexnessie never got to floor 25 before doing this, they never completed the "get to floor 25" challenge, so they never saw the secret note challenging them to get to floor 100, and therefore they can't see the cutscene there yet.

hexnessie, if you think you can get to floor 25 without ladders, or if you're willing to farm up some more jades to get there, you might want to get to floor 25, save the day, and then look for a secret note that you're missing. Then once you get that you can try laddering again and you'll get a reward for getting to floor 100. (That's the Qi thing you're thinking of, which is not the same as the Qi thing that gets you the harder mines.)
Maybe figure out why you're not getting many treasure chests first, though.

(If you don't know what a secret note is, ignore this. I assume you've gotten the secret notes because I figure most players probably don't get to the point where they can get 100+ jades before winter year 1.)

hexnessie

Farmer
(If you don't know what a secret note is, ignore this. I assume you've gotten the secret notes because I figure most players probably don't get to the point where they can get 100+ jades before winter year 1.)
I got them, yes! I did get a ping for a quest completed when I laddered down to floor 25, but I ignored it, thinking I will probably be restarting the day anyway. I guess I just wanted to get that quest done the right way, fighting my way through, without staircase-cheating! Therefore, level 100 was empty.

I'm wondering whether the speed of putting down staircases and moving down has any impact on the random numbers generator. I was doing it pretty fast, to the point where I sometimes put 2 stairs on the same level. Maybe that's too fast and the rng did not have the chance to reset?

(I'm in game year 5 now, so I suppose I should be much better at fighting, but, meh, I'd much rather farm and raise free-range slimes!)

BlaDe

Farmer
I'm wondering whether the speed of putting down staircases and moving down has any impact on the random numbers generator. I was doing it pretty fast, to the point where I sometimes put 2 stairs on the same level. Maybe that's too fast and the rng did not have the chance to reset?
This has no bearing on RNG for treasure floors.

Boo1972

Farmer
You know on my beach farm I’m almost year 7, have received the perfection rating, always wear a lucky ring and still just 1 auto petter. I’ve even had lucky days when descending 100+ Floors gets me maybe 2 treasure rooms. And that farmer basically lives to search for rare items. Would love that hot Java ring. Wish I had an explanation.

hexnessie

Farmer
GOT THEM! Ha.

I can't believe how much of a difference "very happy" spirits actually make. I had to wait almost a month for a "very happy" day, but it paid off big time.

If anyone's interested in doing the same to get the petter, here are the results:

In preparation, I made 6 Crystalariums and replicated the jade for some time. Exchanged for staircases every Sunday.

With Lucky Lunch and 250 staircases, the winnings were as follows (Treasure Room level in parentheses):

(25) Dark Cowboy Hat
(51) Rain Totems
(52) Cowboy Hat Red
(115) Rain Totems
(117) AUTO PETTER!
(119) Iridium Sprinkler
(121) Another Cowboy Hat, I'm gonna start a hat shop
(125) Auto Grabber
(130) AUTO PETTER!
(131) Seed Maker
(154) Auto Grabber
(155) Apricot Sapling
(240) 4 x sprinkler

Notice the large gap between 155 and 240? My Lucky Lunch wore out somewhere there and I didn't notice, silly me.

Anyhow, thanks for the tips and handholding, my cows are gonna be happy now!