Wizard Theory

Using what's in the game I would say it goes like this. A family lived in the southern portion of the Cindersap forest. Mona was a beloved member of the community often babysitting Abigail. People of the town loved Mona. Shane being in the older tier of bachelors probably was good friends with Mona. They laughed and had fun. Mona dreamed about the wizard in his secret tower. She became with child. Shane would help her out as much as he could. Jas was born. The witch found out about this and placed a curse on Mona. Mona now sick names the young(non adult) Shane as the godfather. The house crumbles with Mona still in it. Marnie steps in as Shane still underage could not be a father. She adopts Jas as a Niece but Shane retains the good father title. The wizard binds the witches powers and places the seal. A few years later farmer moves into town.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I love the "Abigail is the Wizard's granddaughter" theory because it does a lot of cool things but doesn't sacrifice Caroline's character into being just... a cheater. It's clear that Pierre and Caroline have some issues, but Pierre also has some high heart dialogue about trying to impress Caroline, and there's a few nuggets here and there that do imply they care about one another. Most of all, they both love Abigail, and especially for Caroline, she wants Abigail to have a very normal life.

To me, it makes a lot of sense that if you grew up in a magical world, you desperately would want that normalcy. It almost seems like Caroline is obsessed with it. She is incredibly worried about Abigail's fascination in exploration, magic, monsters, all that good stuff. I think she is, because Caroline herself lived that life, and she wants to give Abigail the life she never had-- a peaceful, magic-free one.

I can hear the argument of, well, why does the Wizard not know exactly who his daughter is? He only suspects that his daughter lives in Pelican Town. Well... There's a few more things to consider. Mid-late game spoilers: the witch's hut and its statues, namely the one that wipes memories.

The Wizard definitely has some issues with his past marriages too, there's no question about that. He is invested enough in their past relationship that he wants to ask you questions about her when you do some post-cc quests. I think it is completely possible that select memories of his were wiped, and I think it's also possible that the same applies to Caroline. Hell, maybe the whole town, if we wanted to go that far.

No one in town really knows about the Wizard much other than he's... a Wizard. Whenever he comes up in dialogue, it is usually in a wary way, a fear of the unknown type way, but they trust him enough to let him help out with some town festivals. The only one implied to know about him is Linus, who similarly has no dialogue about Wizard, but he does talk about nature and its magical influence. I love the idea that the Witch tampered with everyone's memories except for Linus's, who lives outside of town and has a stronger connection to nature anyway.

My theory about this brings the assumption that the Wizard may have caught on over time that there are holes in his memory, and he begins to patch things little-by-little as he watches over the town. For Caroline, while she may not remember Wizard, she would remember her upbringing as a very mystical one and have that yearning for a normal life. I'm fully convinced that Pierre's line about being unsure if Abigail is his is a total red herring and he's just having very temporary doubts.

Of course though, this all is a theory too and it's just my own thoughts! Sorry if they're a bit jambled but I hope it got through. That's what's so fun about the world in this game; you can come to all sorts of conclusions.

Flav

Farmhand
I love the "Abigail is the Wizard's granddaughter" theory because it does a lot of cool things but doesn't sacrifice Caroline's character into being just... a cheater. It's clear that Pierre and Caroline have some issues, but Pierre also has some high heart dialogue about trying to impress Caroline, and there's a few nuggets here and there that do imply they care about one another. Most of all, they both love Abigail, and especially for Caroline, she wants Abigail to have a very normal life.

To me, it makes a lot of sense that if you grew up in a magical world, you desperately would want that normalcy. It almost seems like Caroline is obsessed with it. She is incredibly worried about Abigail's fascination in exploration, magic, monsters, all that good stuff. I think she is, because Caroline herself lived that life, and she wants to give Abigail the life she never had-- a peaceful, magic-free one.

I can hear the argument of, well, why does the Wizard not know exactly who his daughter is? He only suspects that his daughter lives in Pelican Town. Well... There's a few more things to consider. Mid-late game spoilers: the witch's hut and its statues, namely the one that wipes memories.

The Wizard definitely has some issues with his past marriages too, there's no question about that. He is invested enough in their past relationship that he wants to ask you questions about her when you do some post-cc quests. I think it is completely possible that select memories of his were wiped, and I think it's also possible that the same applies to Caroline. Hell, maybe the whole town, if we wanted to go that far.

No one in town really knows about the Wizard much other than he's... a Wizard. Whenever he comes up in dialogue, it is usually in a wary way, a fear of the unknown type way, but they trust him enough to let him help out with some town festivals. The only one implied to know about him is Linus, who similarly has no dialogue about Wizard, but he does talk about nature and its magical influence. I love the idea that the Witch tampered with everyone's memories except for Linus's, who lives outside of town and has a stronger connection to nature anyway.

My theory about this brings the assumption that the Wizard may have caught on over time that there are holes in his memory, and he begins to patch things little-by-little as he watches over the town. For Caroline, while she may not remember Wizard, she would remember her upbringing as a very mystical one and have that yearning for a normal life. I'm fully convinced that Pierre's line about being unsure if Abigail is his is a total red herring and he's just having very temporary doubts.

Of course though, this all is a theory too and it's just my own thoughts! Sorry if they're a bit jambled but I hope it got through. That's what's so fun about the world in this game; you can come to all sorts of conclusions.
Actually the wizard doesn't remember some things and I never thought about the statue in the witch's hut and it made quite a lot of sense.

Quillmagic

Farmer
I love all these theories- anyone have an explanation for why Caroline’s hair is green specifically? The Witch has green skin but I don’t think that’s the same

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I'm loving everyone's input to this possible family tree! Lots of little hints are littered throughout the game. Just little things to put ideas in your head. Like Abigail standing hear the tower all the time. Does she know the wizard, or want to know the wizard. It's like she's waiting for him to come outside....which he never does. Which brings it back around to her hair color. If she felt like she has a connection to him, that could be why she colors her hair purple. Or, maybe she just likes the color. For me one of the biggest questions is why does the tower connect to the witch's hut if they're estranged from each other? I'm divorced and it's not like my house has a tunnel leading to my ex-husbands house! The theory that the wizards mind could be warped is intriguing. And may explain why he tells you he watches the town folk. Maybe he simply doesn't remember what happened and wants a connection to his family, if he has one. It's strange. Here he lives in this amazing tower in the middle of the woods. He could conjure up anything he wants and yet I feel sorry for him but have never felt sorry for Linus. I guess it's because Linus makes it clear that his lifestyle is a choice, whereas the wizard just seems to backed himself into a situation.

For me one of the biggest questions is why does the tower connect to the witch's hut if they're estranged from each other? I'm divorced and it's not like my house has a tunnel leading to my ex-husbands house! The theory that the wizards mind could be warped is intriguing.
I took it that you as the carrier of the forest magic reopened the tunnel. Otherwise you could have taken the door to the shrine and then portal bypassing the krobus bug adventure.

As far as the warping is concerned the possibility is good. Concidering that the witch probably put up the barrier and sealed the teleport circle. The talisman seal was based on baba yaga (chicken foot house) which looks more to her style not his....,(also she keeps zapping my slimes and leaving eggs before the seal was broken). Factor in that she wasn't home at the time makes you wonder what was the supposed thing the wizard said he was doing in the first place.