PC [HELP] Resolution error(WIN 10, resolution 1360x786)

Roketwod

Newcomer
Hello everyone!
I was back in the game days ago with a friend while we talked on Discord.
The game was working fine for me, until I wanted to switch to full resolution(.since I used to play it in windowed mode for convenience)
There the monitor threw me the sign of "signal out of range"

I don't know how to solve it, since I can't even see the menu to do it from there
My normal resolution (always used and never problems) is 1360x786

Does anyone know a way to fix this?
I tried reinstalling the game (I acquired it through the Steam platform) thinking that maybe it would be solved that way, but there is no improvement

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi Roketwod and welcome to the SDV Forums!

I just changed my game resolution by adjusting the numbers in my startup_preferences file manually and it worked. This should fix your out of range error if it's just the wrong resolution. This seems long but you're really only changing 2 numbers, I'm just trying to be complete here:

* On your PC, open up your AppData folder. If you don't know how to get there, you can just search this in your Windows Search box:

%appdata%

* This will put you in the following folder:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming

* Open the Stardew Valley folder in there.
* Copy the startup_preferences file and paste it to your Desktop or Documents folder. Wherever you like. This is just a backup copy in case something goes wrong. Well, wronger than it's already going.
* Open the original startup_preferences file in the Stardew Valley folder. Choose Notepad if it prompts you: How do you want to open this file?

There will be lotsa junk in there looking like this:

"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><StartupPreferences xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><startMuted>false</startMuted><levelTenFishing>false</levelTenFishing><levelTenMining>false</levelTenMining><levelTenForaging>false</levelTenForaging><levelTenCombat>false</levelTenCombat><skipWindowPreparation>false</skipWindowPreparation><sawAdvancedCharacterCreationIndicator>false</sawAdvancedCharacterCreationIndicator><timesPlayed>457</timesPlayed><windowMode>2</windowMode><gamepadMode>Auto</gamepadMode><playerLimit>-1</playerLimit><fullscreenResolutionX>2560</fullscreenResolutionX><fullscreenResolutionY>1440</fullscreenResolutionY>" ... and on and on.

Note that last bit I quoted where it says fullscreenResolutionX and fullscreenResolutionY. That's what it's trying to set your monitor to. In my case it's 2560x1440 because I play SDV on a nutso big monitor. I changed this to 1920 between the fullscreenResolutionX's and 1080 between the fullscreenResolutionY's and it set my monitor to 1920x1080 in-game the next time I started.

You need to set that to your monitor's native resolution. I'm guessing it's 1366x768? Note that is different than you posted originally but that is the most common resolution close to those numbers. There may be screens that do 1360x768 but there are none that do 1360x786, please do not use 786 as the second number.

* So in your case please change the number between the fullscreenResolutionX's to 1366 and the fullscreenResolutionY's to 768. Click Save from the File menu, Close the window and try Stardew Valley again.

The only problem here may be if SDV is trying to set your screen refresh rate to higher than your monitor can handle, like 75Hz when your monitor can only display 60Hz. I'm not sure how to fix that, hopefully that's not the case.

Last edited: