Who is the worst npc

Quillmagic

Farmer
I'm gonna agree with Morris on this one, felt no remorse when he got socked in the jaw by Pierre. :proud: Unpopular opinion, but I don't really like the wizard. He's so distant, and rude whenever you try to talk to him or fulfill a quest. Idk, he's definitely nowhere near Morris, but that's how I feel about him.

Cptldsilver

Planter
Marnie because,
1. She's terrible at her job. Stop taking 3 hour food breaks and just sell me the damn hay.
2. If you think about it she's also somewhat at fault for Shane considering suicide. She doesn't seem to do much for Shane's mental state besides tell him she's worried about him. She also enables his alcoholism.
3. She doesn't respect herself enough to demand from Lewis a public acknowledgment of their relationship. This is against her own wishes too. Sure, Lewis is also at fault but Marnie enables his continued denials.
4. She charges absurd prices for goods only she sells, (25k autograbber!?) thereby economically exploiting her neighbors with monopolistic business practices.

PorkChop

Planter
Shane is kind of annoying and a jerk but Clint is kind of annoying to. He doesn't really do much...
I also really don't like Robin. She leaves the carpentry shop on Tuesday when I need something for once...

TheBookDragon

Sodbuster
Morris, for obvious reasons.
Pierre, only because he takes credit for my good produce. I don't care if he wants to sell them for more than he buys them for, but at least give me the credit.
Lewis because of his treatment of Marnie. There's no reason to keep their relationship a secret.

starbrite

Sodbuster
Morris. Hands down.

But personally for me, I don't like Shane or Haley because they're both extremely rude. I can't even bring myself to try and make my farmer become friends with at least Shane (I ignore Haley or give her her dislikes on purpose lol) because no matter how many gifts I give him or try to talk to him he's all like, "Go away!". I haven't completed all heart events with Emily but Haley seems like a stuck up brat that doesn't help her sister clean and that irritated me.I'm also not a huge fan of Clint because he's kinda creepy about Emily.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
i like all of them in different ways , but from an immersion perspective i wouldn't get along with pierre, i hate selling him items because his marketing is pretty dishonest
Conversely, we have Willy, who actually credits you. If it was a really good fish, then a villager might bring it up and say that Willy told them you caught it. However, if it was a bad fish, then the villager won't bring you up at all. It's as if Willy actually saved you the embarrassment. Basically, what I'm saying is that Willy is great.

ISSsloth

Farmer
Pierre does kinda suck but Shane and Haley really do get more friendly as you get to know them. A tip for Shane is that he like all fruits including salmonberries so you can gift them to him pretty often without it being too hard. He'll also be very appreciative no matter what heart level you're at.

First off, I'm not trying to offend anyone here, it's just that Shane is my absolute favorite and I feel like I have to defend him. Everybody's entitled to their own opinions though, I respect your feelings towards Shane but I just wanted to share my thoughts on him too.
Shane is kind of annoying and a jerk but Clint is kind of annoying too. He doesn't really do much...
I also really don't like Robin. She leaves the carpentry shop on Tuesday when I need something for once...
Well, Shane can be a jerk at times but he just has trouble opening up to people. He thinks he's a failure, so that's why he's so hard on himself and on others. But if you befriend him he'll progressively become nicer and a person that you would want to be friends with, trust me.
Morris. Hands down.

But personally, for me, I don't like Shane or Haley because they're both extremely rude. I can't even bring myself to try and make my farmer become friends with at least Shane (I ignore Haley or give her dislikes on purpose lol) because no matter how many gifts I give him or try to talk to him he's all like, "Go away!". I haven't completed all heart events with Emily but Haley seems like a stuck up brat that doesn't help her sister clean and that irritated me.I'm also not a huge fan of Clint because he's kinda creepy about Emily.
I get the Haley part. Even after you become friends with her she's still so self-centered and conceited. There isn't even an excuse for her rudeness. I don't think at any point in her character development that she starts to appreciate her life. Take the heart event with Emily, for example. She really acts like a child, saying that she cleaned the couch cushions the week before, even though it's obvious that Emily is the more responsible one. She doesn't try to learn your name and doesn't appreciate her sister, home, or the valley. So yeah, I agree with you on that.
But - Shane is different. His rudeness can be easily explained, unlike Haley's. He's an alcoholic, so it's hard for him to open up to people because he's afraid they'll hurt him. He does progressively get nicer and more open as you befriend him. Actually, at 4 hearts he will start to be kind. He's just self-conscious and has given up on the kindness of the world. My goal is to do my best to restore his faith in humanity :)

Lappy

Sodbuster
Well, Morris is a pretty obvious choice, but I think he's meant to be disliked. He's written to represent a certain kind of capitalism where the superstores are squeezing out the little shops, probably to encourage players to go the Community Center route. But if that's the case, unfortunately, Pierre isn't made to be a great guy either.

Of the villagers, I'm not a big fan of Pam. Like Shane, she has a drinking problem. But with Shane's character arc, you see him hit rock bottom and a glimpse at him wanting to be better, for himself and for Jas. But with Pam, she seems to just accept that she has a problem. Her storyline seems underdeveloped - she has resigned to living a life of just getting by, and doesn't address her problems. Also... she's an alcoholic and she gets a job driving a bus?! Maybe something is forthcoming in 1.5?

I don't mind her taking a day off a week - that's a realistic thing for many small business owners. Marnie's work schedule is something else entirely. And to be honest, if Robin and Demetrius ever split up and she became a romance candidate, I'd make a play for her pretty quick. But then that would create a logistical problem with her shop.

Last edited:

Potatoes

Farmer
I have to say Pierre. I feel like he’s just not likable and like he complains a lot, he should lighten up a little.
Also I really wish Caroline would run off to my farm with me, maybe that has something to do with it too.

Clint and Morris are definitely up there too.

Lew Zealand

Helper
The worst NPC has to be someone with the potential to be a real NPC with a background and a story, but who is never given the chance to share it. The Wizard and Mr. Qi aren't really fleshed out much in excess of your typical zombie but they are still key parts of Stardew Valley, though not the most vibrant of personalities. They both make up for that with style-- nice saving throw!

But who is in most desperate need of a backstory fill? Sandy has a small backstory and you get hints of her from Emily pretty early in the game. The Old Mariner-- hmm, you know, he really is the weirdest of the bunch. A guy who shows up only on rainy days, selling some 21st century snake oil aphrodisiac that reprograms the minds of young single people you've plied with gifts into settling down on a farm in lieu of Gridball fame or a Nobel prize. That's *magic*! I wonder what he does on sunny days? I assume he fishes for Mermaids, but what do you use for bait?

No, no, it's The Henchman who is in most dire need of some NPC love. A lone sentinel barring your way, he's there to save you from yourself. Standing all alone in a murky swamp for who knows how long, charged with maintaining the Farmer's integrity, he is nevertheless the NPC most rewarded by the Stardew Valley speedrunners out there, released from his bondage with barely a couple of lines before he's whisked away to who knows where. What was his previous job and did they recommend him for this position? Did he end up in a nice house in The Hamptons? Did he inherit that cleft chin from Roger Moore?

But perhaps there is moore to The Henchman's life that's only been hinted at. After all his employer provides more than just a paycheck, she also uses knows his favorite treat and bestows upon the Farmer the means to make it for him. Quite thoughtful, really. Though with many such superficial gifts comes the temptation to follow, and how many Farmers have resisted those various misdeeds?

The Desert Obelisk is nice, though. Better yet, hopefully the 1.5 update includes a Pink and Chocolate Cake Dessert Obelisk. Mmmmmmm!

Jodi. She gets mad at Vincent for getting dirty while he looks for bugs. Angry at Sam over a broken egg. Angry about mud on my boots. Her angry face is terrifying.
If everyone in stardew valley is a ghost and that's why no one ages, they walk the exact same paths, and say the same thing every festival? Then I'm afraid of what Jodi did to herself and sons while Kent was off dying in the war. Sam doesn't remember, but little Vincent maybe does.

Ray of Hope

Farmhand
Idk, to me, Morris is just one of many Joja slaves, forced to do things before deadline, or something like that. He's just a small pawn for the real evil that is Joja.

But for the NPC I hate the most, it's definitely Pam. Alcoholic, destructive, abusive, messy. No wonder Penny have no dream and just want to have family, coz she hates hers even though she didn't say it. Pam gives up on her life and force her daughter to do the same.