Who els colour codes their chests!

Sounny

Rancher
I enjoy making my farm neat and tidy with easy accessible coloured chests! Anyone els enjoy creating decorative farms?
Light blue for fish,
Dark blue for beach forageables, rods, bait, extra crab pots
Dark green for seeds, scarecrows, sprinklers and decorations
Light green for crops
Dark grey for mine equipment: bombs, weapons, health items
Light grey for gems and other things found in the mines

Looh

Tiller
Terraria has a great way to "organize" chests by allowing the player to rename chests. Once they hover over them there's a little tooltip with the name of the chest. Could be pretty useful for Stardew as well. Until then, color coding is the only easy way to organize things. :proud:

Anthonygood

Farmhand
Dark grey for mining creature and wood.

Light green for forage items

Light blue for fish

Brown normal color for miscellaneous

Red for saving expensive rare items and saving artisan goods to ship

Pink for Leah's um...lovely items I give her. Whenever she is in a bad mood I just get an item from here and she is happy.

I also have 3 boxes in my kitchen. 1 for saved gifts, and 2 for a bunch of different foods and dishes.

Sounny

Rancher
Dark grey for mining creature and wood.

Light green for forage items

Light blue for fish

Brown normal color for miscellaneous

Red for saving expensive rare items and saving artisan goods to ship

Pink for Leah's um...lovely items I give her. Whenever she is in a bad mood I just get an item from here and she is happy.

I also have 3 boxes in my kitchen. 1 for saved gifts, and 2 for a bunch of different foods and dishes.
Yes, a chest just for your spouse is a must.

Odin

Staff member
I always pick a color for chests, but it's more to make them look nice and less of a system for organization :P

hello

Cowpoke
Color coding was a bit of an adjustment for me. I was used to Minecraft where a sign would just tell me what exactly was in each chest. Now I have to engage my brain a little to figure out what's where and it's painful.

Odin

Staff member
Color coding was a bit of an adjustment for me. I was used to Minecraft where a sign would just tell me what exactly was in each chest. Now I have to engage my brain a little to figure out what's where and it's painful.
Stardew has signs as well! You can put them behind/next to a chest and put an item on them if that helps :)

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I usually color code, but I'm a bit lazy about it. Like, I won't really put everything all neat and tidy in a chest, just like, a green one for crafting, a purple one for gems, blue one for fish, etc.

hello

Cowpoke
Stardew has signs as well! You can put them behind/next to a chest and put an item on them if that helps :)
I've experimented with that, and I think I prefer color coding? I go back and forth on it. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Broccolihead

Cowpoke
I color code my chests by season, so I can keep track of what I am missing and plan filling the seedmaker. Non-seasonal fish and gems have separate chests.

Makco

Farmhand
I mostly color code the chests I use for produce, such as Green for spring produce, yellow for summer, dark orange for fall, and light blue for winter, along with pink chests for flowers.