Which fish do you prefer in fish ponds? And what are your motives?

Rhiannon

Farmer
I think it's entirely individual on what ones each person wants to have. I initially did four ponds, one blob for a chance at the warp totems, one eel for for a chance at the magna geodes and two coral. Coral you say? Yes because I refuse to plant anything without using deluxe speed grow. My initial planting is over 300 plants. That's a lot of coral! When I found out I could raise my own coral, I was so happy! So this 5th year, I replaced my blob pond with another coral. I needed more of that and had enough warp totems that I rarely use anyway (plus I can make them if I really want to). And yes, I did research on the wiki to see what I wanted to have and why. :)

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'm curious. Why not just buy what you can't make?
The ways of the Lazy Farmer are oddly complex; that very complexity seemingly at odds with the concept of Lazy Farming when observed by an outsider.

One of the inhibiting factors to Lazy Farming is the location of Pierre's Store all the way over there. It's like 2 whole screens away and who knows what crazy cutscenes about skateboarding or birds whacking into windows you're gonna get stuck with. And what if you're doing multiplayer (Lazy Tenet #18: let others who are excessively motivated do what they do best), time doesn't even stop and now you're left with less time to Laze about. And because you're the Lazy Farmer of your MP group, you of course got stuck with the Lake House on the 4 Corners Map so your commute time rivals New Horizons' to Pluto. Even Sandy wonders why you're so distant and not only because you're supposedly dating half the town after 7 years yet still unmarried.

But then there's making Deluxe Speed-Gro. This is simply beyond the pale. You need Coral, locked away not only at The Beach (far enough away as it is), but behind an effort wall, like trying to read a WaPo article online. So I need to level a forest, carry that entire forest over to the very end of the map and then use nothing more than a hex key and Ikea instructions to enable Leah to paint something different for once. Well OK, that's actually good, painting's awesome. Except for the work involved. And sure, I'd love to make a Tapper and roll the dice to see if I tapped the right tree for Oak Resin, but I cut all the damn things down for the Bridge.

In order to live happy lives we all need to be aware of our personal limitations, so Pierre's Store wins because he is a smaller environmental disaster than me attempting not to be Lazy.

Sigrah

Farmer
I only have one fish pond, and it depends on my mood what I put in there. Usually, it's Void Salmon because it looks like a pool filled with shadow / void energy. I don't know who else plays WoW, but the Void is where all those "Old Gods" come from, and they're based on the cosmic horrors of H.P. Lovecraft, a favorite genre of mine. Beyond that, I rarely check my fishpond after doing the quests to max out the population to 10. I usually have other stuff to deal with or take care of.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I'm curious. Why not just buy what you can't make?
Pretty much in all games that I play, I like to be self-sufficient. It's also a personal challenge: can I grow/scavenge enough coral to make enough deluxe speed fertilizer for my crops. About three games years into my current save, I was growing enough crops to create enough seeds to never have to buy any from Pierre. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.

As the Lazy Farm pointed out, our reasoning for how we do things is complex and individual as we all are.