Which fish do you prefer in fish ponds? And what are your motives?

Mcwhalen

Farmhand
I'm getting around to optimizing my fish ponds and trees/fruit area of the company 🤑🤑🤓.

Without being totally dependent on the wiki, ( it's impossible to stop reading it once you've given in, lol)
I did want to include the chance for bonus items besides the roe.

I have 5 fish ponds currently.

Hopefully we can get a discussion going on arrangement, preparing recipes, min/max, and alternative/future needs.

My fish stock:
  1. midnight squid
    • Squid ink x2
  2. Sea cucumber
    • I harvest them for lucky lunches
  3. Lava eel
    • Magma geode
  4. Blobfish
    • Warp totem: farm x5
  5. Rainbow Trout
    • Prismatic Shard
    • Rainbow shell
I want to swap out the lava eel for the octopus because it drops omni geodes.
but, then I'd lose the "cool" red colored water. Could build a 6th pond, too.

So there are some prompts hopefully to guide the directions Im looking for other's choices etc!
This is just a short summary of my farm and what's in the ponds. They're all max level capacity. Below is a link to the fishpond.

Fish Pond wiki

What do you prefer to keep in your ponds? What's your layout? Your production goals? Creative plans?

The resources to build a pond are focused on fishing, more-so in a direction of the profession.
Given the fact that 2 playthroughs are required to achievement completion

This is interesting to me as I think about making a new character and income approach.

🍻 🥂 cheers gang

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
Well, I'm not a min/max player, but here are my thoughts:

1. I want to have all the colored ones. Currently have red, green and light purple, so the next one will be void salmon.

2. At first, when I hadn't reached level 100 in the cavern, I had cucumbers for lucky lunch. Now I just take the spicy eels that are dropped there anyway.

3. Now, I'm looking for legendary fish, so it's the ingredients for seafoam pudding.

4. Fish, that are difficult to obtain. If I only caught one and can't be bothered to catch more, they go in the pond.

5. I like the cavern and have more prismatic shards than I know how to use, so I don't care about the drop chance. I read an analysis on Reddit yesterday that the drop chance through Omni geodes by octopus is better than rainbow trout, though.

6. I will probably fill a pond with crabs just for Willy's gift.

Mcwhalen

Farmhand
Looking back, I got into the fish Pond construction almost entirely til the end. Good example with the pre-100 mines for sea cucumber. Im in the same planning phase for sea foam pudding too!

Person090

Planter
I'm getting around to optimizing my fish ponds and trees/fruit area of the company 🤑🤑🤓.

Without being totally dependent on the wiki, ( it's impossible to stop reading it once you've given in, lol)

Hopefully we can get a discussion going on arrangement, preparing recipes, min/max, and alternative/future needs.

My fish stock:
  1. midnight squid
    • Squid ink x2
  2. Sea cucumber
  3. Lava eel
    • Magma geode
  4. Blobfish
  5. Rainbow Trout
    • Prismatic Shard
    • Rainbow shell

So there are some prompts hopefully to guide the directions Im looking for other's choices etc!
This is just a short summary of my farm and what's in the ponds. They're all max level capacity. Below is a link to the fishpond.

Fish Pond wiki

What do you prefer to keep in your ponds? What's your layout? Your production goals? Creative plans?

The resources to build a pond are focused on fishing, more-so in a direction of the profession.

This is interesting to me as I think about making a new character and income approach.

🍻 🥂 cheers gang
Dont replace the lava eel pond, I use them along with the blobfish to make aged roe because they have a high sell price. I also got void salmon and super cucumber for aesthetic reason. Octopus for omnie geodes. Midnight squid for squid ink. Rainbow trout for prismatic shards. Spook Fish for treasure chests. Sturgeon's for caviar, and slimejack because it synergizes well with my slime hutch. I also have a crab pond so I can get the gift from willy and have a supply of seaweed for the other fish ponds, I also usually turn the trash it makes into something useful with the recycling machine.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
i have a bunch of different ones, but i'll put the ones i remember off the top of my head

blobfish: farm totems and the occasional pearl
slimejack: i really like the slime it gives sometimes
sturgeon: delicious
lava eel: completely aesthetic
super cucumber: same reason
void salmon: also same reason

i want to say i have a few other ponds too but i forget exactly what they are

Boo1972

Farmer
My favorite by far is the blob fish- no need for a return scepter with them around. Early in this farm I had a woodskip pond for wood and hard wood. Switched out for spook fish for the black roe honestly- not that I mind the treasure chests. Crabs will be next, but end game will probably be 2 each of lava eels, blob fish, spook fish and sturgeon. I will say that i love the fish- they are so funny and I enjoy switching the ponds out.

Rotan

Sodbuster
My favorite by far is the blob fish- no need for a return scepter with them around.
I disagree since its unlimited and warps you to the front door instead of the totem behind the house. Not to mention 2m is peanuts late game anyways. I do agree that pre-late game blob fish are a great source of totems and since mid-game fiber is quite rare until you do all the spoiler stuff ;)

I also put catfish in as their base value is 200 gold even before Fisher and angler professions. Which is pretty good if you have 10 in a pond.

imnvs

Local Legend
Lava Eel - most expensive fish in the game and aged roe worth more than caviar, magma geodes
Octopus - omni geodes
Ice Pip - tied for 2nd most expensive fish and aged roe worth more than caviar, frozen geodes
Blobfish - tied for 2nd most expensive fish and aged roe worth more than caviar, pearls
Midnight Squid, Flounder and Midnight Carp - steady supply of Seafoam Pudding
Sturgeon - Caviar
Stonefish - Diamonds, geodes

tdog0008

Sodbuster
I’ve only got two fish ponds so far, one with Rainbow trout and the other with Sturgeon. The Sturgeon are there for Caviar productions and the Rainvow trout for the extremely slight chance of getting a Prismatic Shard. I’ve never actually had that happen before though.

Boo1972

Farmer
Lava Eel - most expensive fish in the game and aged roe worth more than caviar, magma geodes
Octopus - omni geodes
Ice Pip - tied for 2nd most expensive fish and aged roe worth more than caviar, frozen geodes
Blobfish - tied for 2nd most expensive fish and aged roe worth more than caviar, pearls
Midnight Squid, Flounder and Midnight Carp - steady supply of Seafoam Pudding
Sturgeon - Caviar
Stonefish - Diamonds, geodes
My first save I have an ice pip pond. I was surprised how hard it was to catch: I think the one fish I caught was the only Ice pip I ever hooked. I guess I’m off to the mines to try and get another.

This is a fun post! I’m late in the game getting additional ponds now too. I have lava eel, ice pip, and midnight carp. Should I next go with blob fish or sea cucumber? 🤔 🧐

...although now the octopus seems like a great option I hadn’t previously thought of! 🐙

On the other hand, in thinking of my next goals in the game, flounder might be a good choice as I’ve almost snagged every fish and could use the sea foam.

Maybe I need more seaweed for more ponds lol

Thanks for the ideas!

My fish stock:
  1. midnight squid
    • Squid ink x2
  2. Sea cucumber
  3. Lava eel
    • Magma geode
  4. Blobfish
  5. Rainbow Trout
    • Prismatic Shard
    • Rainbow shell

Fish Pond wiki

🍻 🥂 cheers gang

Haseo

Cowpoke

My fish stock:
  1. midnight squid
    • Squid ink x2
  2. Sea cucumber
  3. Lava eel
    • Magma geode
  4. Blobfish
  5. Rainbow Trout
    • Prismatic Shard
    • Rainbow shell

Fish Pond wiki

🍻 🥂 cheers gang
Im personally doing woodskip for extra hardwood. 😊