Which do you prefer: fruit bats or mushroom caves?

epic discourse time

• Mushroom Caves

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Fruit Bats

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters

Lew Zealand

Helper
Fruit bats. Cuz bats are fuzzy and cool and spend half their time taunting "flying" squirrels telling them: just flap harder!

Well, and fruit is shiny and colorful and Preserves-able and mushrooms are dull and drab and non-... Preservation...al...isting... Preservesishable... You know where I'm going here. Now if Purple Mushrooms generated at any decent rate then I'd have a totally different opinion.

Ereo

Helper
My last farm had the mushrooms, but I barely checked it in the last year of playing. I had a new mushroom tree every fall so it became easier to tap them.

My current farm has the bats. Since I'm not buying from Pierre, fruit trees are gonna take a while.

Quillmagic

Farmer
Fruit bats. Cuz bats are fuzzy and cool and spend half their time taunting "flying" squirrels telling them: just flap harder!

Well, and fruit is shiny and colorful and Preserves-able and mushrooms are dull and drab and non-... Preservation...al...isting... Preservesishable... You know where I'm going here. Now if Purple Mushrooms generated at any decent rate then I'd have a totally different opinion.
I dunno why, but on my account the purple mushrooms JUST. KEEP. APPEARING. I’ve got like 5 now (excluding the 2 I gave to community center, and the few I ate) Guess that account is just lucky, because that hasn’t happened on my other save files.

Fruit Bats, hands down.

In either case, money shouldn't be a consideration, as at most you're making less money per day out of the cave than a single chicken producing an egg per day can provide. It is such an insignificant drop in the bucket that it simply isn't worth your time and effort, compared to other things you could be doing, from a pure cash perspective.

Therefore, let us consider the utility.

Mushroom cave can provide early access to the Exotic Forage Bundle and can also be used to make Health Elixirs. However, the Exotic Forage Bundle isn't particularly challenging to complete and health elixirs aren't particularly amazing, you won't have them in any substantial quantity at any rate.

Bats can provide fruit tree fruits, which can be used to complete the Artisan bundle, which can be mildly annoying to complete, and can substantially reduce the amount of effort needed. Furthermore, if they provide a pomegranate you can use it to complete the otherwise annoying Enchanter's Bundle without needing to plant a separate pomegranate tree.

So in short, Bats are better from a bundle completion perspective, and it's about a wash on cash. In theory, mushrooms can provide better yields, but most fruits from the fruit bats can be brewed or preserved to boost profits if you have the spare capacity for processing.

But the biggest reason to chose fruit bats over mushrooms?

When laying out your paths on your farm, and asking the local handywoman to build you some sheds for production storage, and she asks where the paths are going, you can respond:

To the Bat Cave, Robin!

Odin

Staff member
But the biggest reason to chose fruit bats over mushrooms?

When laying out your paths on your farm, and asking the local handywoman to build you some sheds for production storage, and she asks where the paths are going, you can respond:

To the Bat Cave, Robin!
Now I wish the forums had something more than the like button, because this joke deserves it

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that we have 24 votes so far-- 12 for mushrooms and 12 for bats! That's pretty interesting. A while ago, mushrooms would have won without a second thought. Seems it's evened out some, but I know the bats received a buff in one of the later updates. It's cool to see how it worked out

Boo1972

Farmer
Mushrooms, by far. You can't get them anywhere else, as far as I know, while you can get Fruit from both trees and bats. Also, Mushrooms have a set schedule for harvest-fruit bats are unpredictable.
You can also tap mushroom trees for mushrooms- including red and purple ones. Chopping down mushroom trees can also produce red or purple mushrooms. I have a grove of the mushroom trees an my second farm.

Sophie

Tiller
You can also tap mushroom trees for mushrooms- including red and purple ones. Chopping down mushroom trees can also produce red or purple mushrooms. I have a grove of the mushroom trees an my second farm.
Very true - however you need to leave a bunch of normal trees on your farm to have a chance of getting a mushroom tree, so if clearcutting is your thing you'll never see one...