What's your favorite weapon?

Dang I haven't gotten any of these cool weapons haha. I have a black metal bat now~

Questions: Is it worth buying the weapons from the Adventures Guild? Floor 100 of the mines wrecked me and I lost a BUNCH of stuff haha.
Depends on the situation and what kind of weapons RNG blesses you with. It also depends on how deep your pockets are, some of those weapons aren't cheap, and they sell for pennies on the dollar when sold back, so most of that price is simply lost when you upgrade again. It also depends on your skill in running caves. A skilled player can work around a bad weapon, but it takes a lot of knowledge of some less understood mechanics and knowing what rhythm you need to keep enemies at bay with your given weapon instead of simply spamming your attack button.

For your specific case? Not really. At Floor 90, you got the Obsidian Edge, which is the third best sword in the entire game, behind the Lava Katana (which doesn't unlock until you hit 120) and the Galaxy Sword, which requires a Prismatic shard. So at mining level 100, there's no better weapon you can really be equipped with, really.

Your problem isn't offense, it's defense. The deep mines (80+) really take the gloves off. Shadow people and those armored dudes are brutal in melee, the armored guys have resistance to knockback as well. The shadow shamans debuff increases the damage you take, and those fireball spitting dudes can also be painful. Even the red bats found at these levels do way more damage than the icy bats of the previous tier of floors, which combines to make for a very lethal area to wander around in. So your concern isn't offense, it's defense.

However, as of 1.4, there was a bug introduced that prevents defense values from weapons (specifically and exclusively weapons) from functioning as intended. So while there are weapons, such as the Lava Katana, which have a listed defense bonus, they currently don't work, at least not until it gets patched (hopefully in 1.5). This leaves you with your boots, consumables, and the Crabclaw Ring. Head back up to a higher level and start grinding Rock Crabs. Kill 60 and the adventurer's guild awards you with a ring that gives you +5 Defense. Quite handy if you're having trouble surviving.

Alternately, bring food (such as salmonberries or cheese or salads) and be cautious with your progression. Don't just dive into the middle of everything, plot your path carefully, use terrain to your advantage, and don't be afraid to hang back and chow down to restore health if you start getting low.

Dang I haven't gotten any of these cool weapons haha. I have a black metal bat now~

Questions: Is it worth buying the weapons from the Adventures Guild? Floor 100 of the mines wrecked me and I lost a BUNCH of stuff haha.
You should have obsidian edge if you're on floor 100. It can be found in a chest on the 90th floor. That weapon generally helps with the last 30 floors.

Boo1972

Farmer

I’m terrible at combat and I think it is worth it to buy a better weapon. I found the forest sword and then the obsidian blade and still got the lava katana from Marlon. Makes combat much easier. I wish I could use the slingshot because I’d love to run through the skull cavern with explosive ammunition. I just can’t get the hang of it!

Reactions: Tom
I’m terrible at combat and I think it is worth it to buy a better weapon. I found the forest sword and then the obsidian blade and still got the lava katana from Marlon. Makes combat much easier. I wish I could use the slingshot because I’d love to run through the skull cavern with explosive ammunition. I just can’t get the hang of it!
The lava katana isn't available from the Adventurer's Guild until you hit level 120 in the mines, the poster hasn't gotten past 100 yet. Obsidian Blade is better than anything else available at that level.

Lew Zealand

Helper
One thing I keep repeating while fighting in the mines (other than muttering "losing a Mutant Salmon rarely threatens my life" or "chatting up Clint about genealogy suddenly seems enticing") is forgetting to bring or obtain the proper weapon.

More than once I've headed to the Adventurer's Guild not only to get my weekly ego-crushing from Gil, but also to check Marlon's stock. I frequently find a better weapon or armor available in there than the bent hatpin and Milli Vanilli T-shirt I'm currently using. I really don't know what I'm missing as I do find weapon upgrades, but it seems that I miss a few somehow and end up failing and failing and failing to reach a certain level.

After endowing the college funds for Harvey's kids, I remember to visit the Guild, buy an actually good weapon, and evaluate which boots look best in low light covered with insect blood, as well as at a beach party.

Back to the Mines, breeze through waves of monsters, gain another 20 levels.

And then rinse, repeat, because I missed something again.

Tom

Rancher
Good question. I have never bought anything. But I have considered it when I don't find the Forest Sword. Trouble is money is a bit tight around mid to end Y1 Spring, which is when I usually aim to get to Floor 80. A possibility would be when Pale Ale income starts making me feel like the richest farmer in town in mid-summer and I still don't have a Forest Sword, I could go shopping. It just hasn't been a priority since by that point Salad is pretty cheap and the Obsidian Edge is near at hand.

Last edited:
Good question. I have never bought anything. But I have considered it when I don't find the Forest Sword. Trouble is money is a bit tight around mid to end Y1 Spring, which is when I usually aim to get to Floor 80. A possibility would be when Pale Ale income starts making me feel like the richest farmer in town in mid-summer and I still don't have a Forest Sword, I could go shopping. It just hasn't been a priority since by that point Salad is pretty cheap and the Obsidian Edge is near at hand.
I agree. Waiting and earning/finding weapons has not failed me yet. So that's a valid point. Unless you have the disposable income.

Honestly, the best way to guard against combat damage is simply to run away from the bad guys. Powerful weapons aren't essential, because you don't actually need to fight them to descend, so just find the ladder and leave them behind.

Use the existing rocks to your advantage to block the monsters off, and keep mining. Use bombs to clear large numbers of stones very quickly, and move on down as soon as you uncover the ladder.

If there are flying monsters, that cannot be blocked off in that fashion, you might well have to front up to them. Pick a spot of open ground, and try to time your weapon for each swing to meet them jjst outside your hitbox. This is also when having a club weapon is very useful, because you can use the club's special slam attack to hit mobs in all directions.

Also, if it does come to a fight, try to get underneath them and make them come at you from above; this will make it easier for you to hit them while avoiding damage. Also make sure you always have an inexhaustible stack of cheap food, such as salmonberries, blackberries or common mushrooms, to replenish your health

If you end up in a battle including shadow shamans, target them first, as they will heal the other monsters and undo whatever damage you already inflicted. It's worth healing fully, then getting up close with them, and accepting that you will take two or three hits, to kill them fast.

For shadow brutes and metalheads, they are very resistant to knockback, and even if you hit them, they will walk over you if you try going toe to toe, so hit and run is a good strategy with them.

Honestly, the best way to guard against combat damage is simply to run away from the bad guys. Powerful weapons aren't essential, because you don't actually need to fight them to descend, so just find the ladder and leave them behind.

Use the existing rocks to your advantage to block the monsters off, and keep mining. Use bombs to clear large numbers of stones very quickly, and move on down as soon as you uncover the ladder.

If there are flying monsters, that cannot be blocked off in that fashion, you might well have to front up to them. Pick a spot of open ground, and try to time your weapon for each swing to meet them jjst outside your hitbox. This is also when having a club weapon is very useful, because you can use the club's special slam attack to hit mobs in all directions.

Also, if it does come to a fight, try to get underneath them and make them come at you from above; this will make it easier for you to hit them while avoiding damage. Also make sure you always have an inexhaustible stack of cheap food, such as salmonberries, blackberries or common mushrooms, to replenish your health

If you end up in a battle including shadow shamans, target them first, as they will heal the other monsters and undo whatever damage you already inflicted. It's worth healing fully, then getting up close with them, and accepting that you will take two or three hits, to kill them fast.

For shadow brutes and metalheads, they are very resistant to knockback, and even if you hit them, they will walk over you if you try going toe to toe, so hit and run is a good strategy with them.
Fantastic tips! Thank you, but we're just saying which weapon we like the most aesthetically. :happy:

Fantastic tips! Thank you, but we're just saying which weapon we like the most aesthetically. :happy:
Sorry, it seemed to be a debate on weapons tactics.

Best looking? Well, the prettiest ones from each of the three categories are, imo, Lava Katana, Wicked Kris and Galaxy Hammer, with the newly introduced Dark Blade getting an honourable mention. Hard to choose an outright winner between them though.