What are your top tips?

Lew Zealand

Helper
As others have said, the single most important tip about the game is the first time you play, just play through it. Because you'll never experience it that way again. Absolutely no spoilers from here or any other website. It's just too good to ruin by trying to do too much. There's SOOOOO much time to do those things on subsequent playthoughs but don't even think of ruining your first time with the game by following somebody else's cookbook.

Write your own cookbook, you will be so glad you did.

Wzl20

Farmhand
If you like farming, use sprinklers as soon as you can. And better ones as you go. The only think I have to water now is my cat's bowl and I forget most of the time.
Yes I like the farming aspect heaps,
- farm Foraging level to 4 in the first few weeks of the game so you can maximize the first berries season. ( in early game, stamina IS the limiting factor. getting between 100 and 200 berries during the first spring berry season help A LOT.
- Rush Farming lv6 and the 80+ level of the mine ASAP to produce Lv2 Sprinklers ( I spent an inordinate amount of time manually watering my plant before i discovered how wonderful these little thing are. )
Absolutely hearing you about the sprinklers!

imnvs

Local Legend
For every tree you chop down plant a tree. Never know when you are going to need that wood.
Sustainable forestry is the way to go on your farm, once you've cleared the space you need for other things like planting and buildings and pasture and whatnot. In the Cindersap (both near Marnie's and across the river where you can get spring onions), in the Mountains by Robin's, and up by the Spa there is plenty of tillable space for planting trees that you can chop later too.

imnvs

Local Legend
1) Cindersnap Forest automatically replants on the following day, so no need to worry about it
2) Wood is inexpensive at Robin's shop
Wood is inexpensive... in small quantities. Some of us need a LOT of wood for all the things we're making. Believe me, some folks need to make sure to plant trees if they want to keep up with what they're making from wood.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Wood is inexpensive... in small quantities. Some of us need a LOT of wood for all the things we're making. Believe me, some folks need to make sure to plant trees if they want to keep up with what they're making from wood.
Yes, I'm constantly replanting trees in the Forest Farm and the addition of Tree Fertilizer in 1.4 was a godsend. Farming Level 7 needed but it only requires Fiber and Stone to craft. It's almost like a cheat or a mod it's so good. And it works in the Winter so you have something to keep your multiplayer farm helpers busy.

Yes, also have farm helpers. So all you need to do is Fish.

At 4pm... if you can find the motivation.

Yes, I'm constantly replanting trees in the Forest Farm and the addition of Tree Fertilizer in 1.4 was a godsend. Farming Level 7 needed but it only requires Fiber and Stone to craft. It's almost like a cheat or a mod it's so good. And it works in the Winter so you have something to keep your multiplayer farm helpers busy.

Yes, also have farm helpers. So all you need to do is Fish.

At 4pm... if you can find the motivation.
I like replanting trees anyway. Makes the game seem a bit more real because that is what you would have to do to have wood in the future.

imnvs

Local Legend
the addition of Tree Fertilizer in 1.4 was a godsend. Farming Level 7 needed but it only requires Fiber and Stone to craft. It's almost like a cheat or a mod it's so good. And it works in the Winter so you have something to keep your multiplayer farm helpers busy.
Oh, indeed. Tree fertilizer is a gift, like on a level with Prometheus bringing us fire kind of gift.

starbrite

Sodbuster
I didn't see anyone mention it yet, but invest in preserves jars ASAP! I make so much money off blueberry/etc jams and have my cave + half a shed full of preserve jars.

I also recommend buying shed(s) to maximize on space on your farm. At first I thought they were some cosmetic thing for some reason so I never invested in them, but on my third playthrough now I jam my kegs, etc in there and it really saves on space!

I really disagree here. I generally buy stacks of 999 wood, two or three stacks at a time, to keep up with my processing habit. That's like 10k for a stack of 999 wood. That's a LOT of chopping you obviate.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I really disagree here. I generally buy stacks of 999 wood, two or three stacks at a time, to keep up with my processing habit. That's like 10k for a stack of 999 wood. That's a LOT of chopping you obviate.
I like your idea. You are arguing for efficiency, the most socially acceptable synonym of 'lazy'. I hear you, brother.

You sir, have thrown down the gauntlet. I will retrieve it at my leisure and also devise a test of maximal laziness to compare the abject Smaug McDuck-like greediness of hoarding my precious gold versus the muted pleasure gained by watching someone else do my work, but then having to pay them.

Tl;dr for the lazy like me: Farm good crops and buy wood in Year 1, it's modestly better. Farm/Preserve Ancient Fruit and buy wood Year 2 and later, it's wayyy better. And you're stimulating the local economy.

Annoying explainations and misc. stuffs:

999 wood for ~10K is nice, but only available in Year 1. "Psst... Hey, yeah you! **80%** off for the first year, no foolin'! ...... No, I don't work for the cable company!..."

OK, lets (let a calculator) do some math.

Year 1: Ancient (aka Lazy) Fruit? Unlikely you'll get enough in time. OK then, realistically 150 Caulis (Sp), 200 Melons (Su), 200 Pumpkins (Fa) from 100 farming spots (significantly not lazy but doable).

Sp: Cauli 95g profit (no star) x 150 = 14,250+g (more w/:silverstar: & :goldstar:)
Su: Melon 195g profit (no star, Tiller prof.) x 200 = 39,000+g (more w/:silverstar: & :goldstar:)
Fa: Pumpkin 252g profit (no star, Tiller prof.) x 200 = 50,400+g (more w/:silverstar: & :goldstar:)
Wi (Greenhouse): Pumpkin 252g profit (no star, Tiller prof.) x 200 = 50,400+g (more w/:silverstar: & :goldstar:)

That's 154K+ g that first year you could put into wood, probably 16 stacks of 999 (w/:silverstar::goldstar:). This seems very reasonable since each tree you chop will net you about 15-18 wood total, which is 60 trees per stack. Put another way:

40 pumpkins or 60 trees for that stack of wood? What sounds lazier more efficient?

13 days watering x 40 gourdys (plus 40 plant & harvest) vs. 60 trees x 12 chops (avg. w/axe upgrades) gets us: 600 plant,water,harvests < 720 chops. Water and farming wins!

But that 999 wood is $50K Year 2 and later. Hmmm. But I'm even lazier a year later so that could still be compelling.

Year 2: Ancient (aka Lazy) Fruit! In Greenhouse, fully expanded and watered with Quality Sprinklers. And popped into Preserves Jars (need about 40) with Artisan Profession.

432 Ancient Fruit Jelly per season x 1610g = 695,520g/season. No wonder Robin raises her prices, she knows economics.

But that more expensive stack of 999 wood only costs 31 Ancient Fruit Jelly. That's 31 picks, 31 Fruit into Preserves Jars, and 31 removed from Preserves Jars. 93 Ancient Fruit effort <<< 720 chops.

We appear to have a winner. If you do big wood projects enjoy your forests, don't cut them down. Instead have a picnic with Penny, have a beer with Shane, or go camping with Emily.

:junicheer:

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you'd waste ancient fruit in a preserves jar when you can keg them for more profits. I mean, they take a week to grow, it's like it was made for kegging. So instead of roughly 600k per season, you're going to be making a literal million plus per season.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that farming takes up energy. Everything should be under sprinklers by the end of your first Spring, early Summer at the absolute latest. And once you get to summer, Hops, Melons, and Blueberries are going to be your primary cash crops. Hops obviously needs to be brewed, otherwise you loose so much cash. Melons can either go into preserves or, if absolutely necessary, sold plain. Blueberries really need to be preserved to triple their value. So you're going to need a shed plus, say, 60 preserves jars to begin.

By early summer, you want a second shed, and starting to make Kegs. With a stand of 30 oak trees tapped producing 30 oak resin per week by the end of Spring, by mid-summer you can have 60 kegs in your shed.

But really, the big money starts rolling in around the beginning of the second year, but let's rewind a bit to the critical tipping point: Mid-fall, and unlocking the Greenhouse. Using Deluxe Speed-Gro on a pumpkin to get it to come up sooner, you can realistically and reliably finish this bundle by around the 10th-12th. The instant that happens, you need to make a decision: Do you want to be industrious or be laz...er...efficient? The industrious method yields roughly 50% more profits per month once fully operational, but delays onset of profits by a full month due to needing to give the fruit trees their space while they grow, then requires rows of hops to be planted, with ancient fruit infilling the walking paths. The more energy efficient method is to simply plant ancient fruit on the main dirt (although you can still get 12 fruit trees around the perimeter effectively for free). For this, since you're concerned about economy of energy, we'll assume you're going the straight ancient fruit method. And this method... starts with a single seed.

There's many ways to gain this seed. Farming insects in the upper levels (11-29) can net you one. Another more roundabout way is to take all those hundreds of blueberries you have steaming out of your ears from your summer harvest and run them all through a Seed Maker. You'll have roughly a 0.5% chance of an ancient seed popping out instead of 1-3 blueberry seeds. Two bluebery seeds also sell more than one blueberry fruit, so you, on average, make more money than selling the blueberries raw. Not as good a markup as preserves jars, but better than nothing. You can also get lucky digging up worms in the mountain range. However you do it, get one before mid-fall.

Deluxe Speed-Gro can be used to increase the rate of propagation, reducing iteration times by a full week (3 weeks instead of 4). However, we have a not only geometric but a compounded geometric progression of fruit. For these back-of-napkin calculations, we will be assuming an average of 2 seeds per fruit from the seed maker.

Week 1-3, you only get a single fruit in week 3. Which is used to plant two more ancient fruit that will be grown in Week 6
Week 4-5, you get one seed per week, so an extra two ancient fruit down, maturing in Week 7 and 8 respectively.
Week 6, you now have 3 fruit from this week's harvest, the original and the first two planted. This is six extra seeds planted to be mature by week 9
Week 7, you now have 5 fruit, for an extra 10 seeds planted, to be mature by week 10, also the beginning of Spring Year 2
Week 8, you now have 7 fruit for an extra 14 seeds planted, to be mature by week 11
Week 9: You now have 13 fruit (7 from last week + the 6 from Week 6) for an extra 26 seeds
Week 10: You now have 23 fruit, for an extra 46 seeds
Week 11: You now have 37 fruit, but you only need to plant another 7 seeds. This is the first week you can start brewing, and everything will be fully grown within three weeks.

Week 14: All 116 seeds are fully grown and you're now gaining 1 million per season, mostly passively, from your greenhouse and your 116 kegs in a Large Shed, with a one-day workweek. This is late summer Year 2. At this point, 50k for a stack of 999 wood is a trivial cost.

Therefore, the price hike only affects you for a month and a half. After which (assuming you don't bother using the altar in the sewers to switch your perk to Agriculturalist, which speeds things up further), a 50k expense is a bagatelle, mere chump change compared to the literal million per season you are bringing in.

This shortens substantially if you have multiple seeds to start off with. For example:

If you get lucky and obtain a seed in Spring, say the beginning of week 2 (day 8), and plant it immediately. You won't be able to use Deluxe Speed Gro, so it'll be available for harvest by the 8th of Summer. From there, it will produce one fruit per week. So by the time your greenhouse unlocks, you'll have six fruit, or 12 seeds, to start off with.

Week 1-3, you get 12 fruit, or 24 seeds at the end of the third week
Week 4-5, you get another 12 fruit, or 24 seeds, per week. You've already got 84 seeds down by the end of week 5
Week 6: Your first batch of 24 seeds grows, giving you (12+24=36) fruit. Which would be an extra 72 seeds, which is more than we need. By the end of Winter, Year 1, your entire greenhouse is completely full. And before the end of Spring, you've already got your million per month passive income going in full swing.

tl;dr: Money is easy. By the time the price hike hits you, money is no longer a concern for you. You'll be making a million per season by the end of Summer, possibly sooner if you get lucky with an early Ancient Seed drop and plant it quickly enough. Trying to compare it to growing crops the hard way is a fool's errand at best.

Here's another one: grow rice! Don't sell the shoots, grow them. They don't take a long time to grow and you don't have to water them if you plant them near water. Grow them within the first few days of Spring and when you harvest them you will have a bunch of already tilled and watered spots ready to replant on

Bubbub

Greenhorn
My top tip is:

Invest in a pig army! So far I have filled three barns with pigs and they rake me in 100-120k a day! They only take about a month to grow and they start making profit much quicker then the other animals, they are truly piggy banks.

Haseo

Cowpoke
Your aim is to be able to automized everything in the farm - sprinklers, multiple harvest crops, auto-grabbers and junimo hats. The more help you get the more time you can have to do other things like cave explorations.