Question What are the skills and software needed to MOD?

tommybob

Planter
There is a lot of online resources for Stardew mods, the wiki has all the SMAPI docs on them

This is the best place to start, start small and get something super basic working. Then try what you want and make small iterations between lots of testing.

Software I use Visual Studio Code
For art I use Photoshop

I am very new to modding in Stardew, I mostly just fix bugs in the mods i use already.

CH1CH4N88

Farmhand
There is a lot of online resources for Stardew mods, the wiki has all the SMAPI docs on them

This is the best place to start, start small and get something super basic working. Then try what you want and make small iterations between lots of testing.

Software I use Visual Studio Code
For art I use Photoshop

I am very new to modding in Stardew, I mostly just fix bugs in the mods i use already.
Thank you so much. 😊

Anhaga

Rancher
This is an old thread, but I'll revive it: have any of you made--or does anyone know of--a good walkthrough on how to mod Stardew art? I have absolutely no clue how to get started; the Modder guide is too vague. If, for instance, I want to do a mod focused on sprites and portraits, what do I do to get started?

Chililover

Planter
This is an old thread, but I'll revive it: have any of you made--or does anyone know of--a good walkthrough on how to mod Stardew art? I have absolutely no clue how to get started; the Modder guide is too vague. If, for instance, I want to do a mod focused on sprites and portraits, what do I do to get started?
Hey anna! I think it would be best if you made a thread for this type of mod that you want to create, but here's some tutorials, if your wanting to make a npc mod (adding a npc) here's this!
Annd this!!
Here's a list of frameworks!
and for coding you'll need this!!

Chililover

Planter
oH I almost forgot, for the art you'll need to get a pixel art application!! If you wanna go with a online version, there is piskelapp it's pretty easy to use!! There is also paint.net!! It's what ca used! It really good!
if you want a more pro version there is asesprite, it's 15$ unless you compile it yourself! (Look up a guide to compiling it!!)

Jumping off of what Chililover said, for art there's a lot of different software. We typically recommend Aseprite (that's what CA used not paint.net to my knowledge) but there are a few others:
  1. Aseprite - $19.99 (Free if you compile it yourself) - Windows, macOS, Linux
  2. Photoshop - $20.00/mo - Windows, macOS
  3. PAINT.NET - Free - Windows
  4. GIMP - Free - Windows, macOS, Linux
  5. Krita - Free - Windows, macOS, Linux
We don't typically recommend recommending video tutorials because they become outdated very quickly. The tutorial Chililover linked for an NPC tutorial contains outdated information. I haven't checked it out myself but whenever people are having issues with NPCs they often found that video and used it as a reference. The wiki, documentation, and looking at recently made/updated mods will be your best bet.

You'll also need Content Patcher. The thread linked provides more information about it. If you have any questions or if anything is unclear feel free to come over to the discord and ask in #making-mods. We're pretty chill over there.

Chililover

Planter
Jumping off of what Chililover said, for art there's a lot of different software. We typically recommend Aseprite (that's what CA used not paint.net to my knowledge) but there are a few others:
  1. Aseprite - $19.99 (Free if you compile it yourself) - Windows, macOS, Linux
  2. Photoshop - $20.00/mo - Windows, macOS
  3. PAINT.NET - Free - Windows
  4. GIMP - Free - Windows, macOS, Linux
  5. Krita - Free - Windows, macOS, Linux
We don't typically recommend recommending video tutorials because they become outdated very quickly. The tutorial Chililover linked for an NPC tutorial contains outdated information. I haven't checked it out myself but whenever people are having issues with NPCs they often found that video and used it as a reference. The wiki, documentation, and looking at recently made/updated mods will be your best bet.

You'll also need Content Patcher. The thread linked provides more information about it. If you have any questions or if anything is unclear feel free to come over to the discord and ask in #making-mods. We're pretty chill over there.
Sorry for the mis information, I saw on a article that he used paint.net, but I guess I'm wrong lol!
also on the asesprite price I was also going on information someone gave me lol!
thanks for correcting my misinformation!!

Sorry for the mis information, I saw on a article that he used paint.net, but I guess I'm wrong lol!
also on the asesprite price I was also going on information someone gave me lol!
thanks for correcting my misinformation!!
No problem! It's very possible he used paint.net early in development but to our knowledge Aseprite was used which is why the SDV community attached itself to it 😛
Aseprite also did a recent price increase maybe 2 months ago? I only know because I saw a dev post but otherwise I'd be none the wiser since well, I own it. Don't usually check the prices of things you own lol It's still 100% free if you compile it from the source code as you said.