What 2 professions do you guys prefer in each of the skills?

Person090

Planter
my preferred professions:
Farming: Tiller and artisan
Foraging: Gatherer and botanist
Fishing: fisher and angler
mining: Geologist and gemologist
combat: Fighter and defender

redbobcat

Rancher
Farming: Tiller, Artisan - geared towards winemaking
Mining: Miner, Prospector - more ore, more coal
Foraging: Gatherer, Botanist - makes truffles very profitable
Fishing: Fisher, Angler at the start - good money making first year or two. Later, when I get good income from winemaking I switch to Trapper, Mariner to get rid of trash in crab pots. By that time trash recycling no longer relevant. Sometimes I switch to Fisher, Pirate to get some elusive artifact.
Combat: Fighter, Brute

Person090

Planter
Farming: Tiller, Artisan - geared towards winemaking
Mining: Miner, Prospector - more ore, more coal
Foraging: Gatherer, Botanist - makes truffles very profitable
Fishing: Fisher, Angler at the start - good money making first year or two. Later, when I get good income from winemaking I switch to Trapper, Mariner to get rid of trash in crab pots. By that time trash recycling no longer relevant. Sometimes I switch to Fisher, Pirate to get some elusive artifact.
Combat: Fighter, Brute
I chose tiller and artisan mainly because duck mayo ang gold goat cheese are insanely good for monetary gain. I chose botanist and gatgerer mainly for the truffles. I chosr fisher and angler because when im done wih farm work, I usually just fish, and also because I would rather have crab pot fish that sell more than get more crab pot fish. Gemologist and geologist are crazy good when you have a bunch of diamond crystaloriums. And I picked fighter and defender because I dont want to pass out in the skull cavern and my slime hutch

Farmer: level 5-tiller, level 10-artisan.

Mining: level 5-geologist, level 10-gemoslogist.

Foraging: level 5-gatherer, level 10-botanist.

Fishing: level 5-Fisher, level 10-angler.

Combat: level 5-scout, level 10-desperado.

This varies from playthrough, but normally I use these.

my preferred professions:
Foraging: Gatherer and botanist
Fishing: fisher and angler
mining: Geologist and gemologist
combat: Fighter and defender
me:
farming- tiller and artistan
foraging-gaherer and botanist
mining- geologist and gemologist
fishing-fisher and angler
combat- Fighter and Defender

Quillmagic

Farmer
Foraging: Gatherer and Botanist
Fishing: Fisher and Pirate
Mining: Geologist and Excavator
Combat: Fighter and Defender

Boo1972

Farmer
So in my first farm I didn’t realize that the profession boxes were something I had to chose, so I had to go back and change what I had unwittingly chosen. Like most people I chose:
Farming- tiller, artisan
Foraging- gatherer, botanist
Fishing- fisher, angler
Mining- geologist, gemologist
Combat- I’m not actually sure I ever fixed this could be anything

this new farm is foraging based, so mining will be miner, prospector. Combat? I’m just hoping I make it to level 10...

Person090

Planter
So in my first farm I didn’t realize that the profession boxes were something I had to chose, so I had to go back and change what I had unwittingly chosen. Like most people I chose:
Farming- tiller, artisan
Foraging- gatherer, botanist
Fishing- fisher, angler
Mining- geologist, gemologist
Combat- I’m not actually sure I ever fixed this could be anything

this new farm is foraging based, so mining will be miner, prospector. Combat? I’m just hoping I make it to level 10...
When it came to maxing out all 5 skills, combat was definitely the hardest for me, followed by mining.

Honestly, this is worthy of a far deeper discussion, but in brief:

Farming: Tiller, Artisan - if your goal is cash, there is no other viable option. Although if fields of ancient fruit is your plan, you can respect on the last day of Winter to Tiller/Agriculturalist, plant them on Deluxe Speed-Gro on Spring 1, then respec back on Spring 2. You spend 20,000g and earn far more back.
Mining: Miner/Prospector. Miner is mandatory for getting enough ores going to build the infrastructure. Remember, every keg is one copper and one iron ingot. So that's 30x iron and copper *per week* to match my oak tree stand's yields. That's 150 ore per week I need to collect. So Miner is a no-brainer. From there, I will be using every last ingot I craft, so increased sell prices are entirely useless, and Prospector (finally) got fixed so it actually does what it says it does. It still isn't much (a percentage chance on top of a percentage chance), but it's better than literally useless. Geodes and Gems are negligible.
Foraging: Depends on what I'm doing, really. Gatherer/Botanist generally speaking, but if I'm still looking for artifacts, Gatherer/Tracker has its uses, and it isn't expensive to swap back. New in 1.4 is the idea of going early Forester for more wood to build your infrastructure faster, now that it is actually useful. Lumberjack vs Tapper is a wash since both are fairly useless, but I suppose Lumberjack is marginally more useful in building infrastructure if you get it soon enough. So... early game, Lumberjack, then as I unlock the ability to respec, Gatherer/Tracker until I get the artifacts, then swap to Gatherer/Botanist.
Fishing: I despise the Fishing minigame, so I rarely bother getting enough levels to matter. Having said that, if I absolutely must, Fisher/Pirate can be useful in getting missing artifacts to Collect Them All(tm). Trapper/Luremaster is of minimal use, it's basically free Worm Bins. But I suppose it's better than Trapper/Mariner since the 'junk' is frequently much better than the shellfish I would normally get from the pot.
Combat: Crit-fishing is useless, so Fighter/Brute is the only mechanically sound option. Assuming one wishes to bother.

Farming: Rancher, and Coopmaster. I always get a Coop before a Barn, and I rarely fill my whole farm with crops, so I always choose Rancher.
Mining: Geologist and Excavator. Gems are handy because they are worth a lot (in Year 1). I always have difficulty finishing the Museum so I choose Excavator after.
Foraging: Gatherer, and Botanist. I find that foragables are worth a LOT more when they are all iridium quality. Also, many NPCs like foragables so yay, extra friendship points!
Fishing: This is a hard one. I like to choose Trapper and Luremaster, so I don't have to run around all day trying to remember where I put my crab pots and then realizing I have to go back to Willy because I don't have any bait. However, I fish wayyyy more than I use crab pots, so it's a tough choice.
Combat: I honestly just do eenie meenie miney moe with this one. LOL

Lorekeeper

Farmhand
My preferred are:

Farming: Tiller, Agriculturist. I know Artisan is most likely better, but as someone who doesn’t exactly rely on artisanal goods as much as I really should and mostly ships crops, it does help to have that tiny bit of extra growing time.

Mining: Geologist, Gemologist. That extra boost in cash is good for winters and rainy days.

Foraging: Gatherer, Botanist. The other ones have their uses, but I find that those two combined are way too good. Especially as they apply to the bat cave, too, if I recall?

Fishing: Fisher, Angler. I don’t use crab pots an awful lot, mostly to put in the farm ponds and fish up trash for easy refined quartz, so the Trapper lineup doesn’t do much for me, especially not Mariner. I will agree that Pirate is a lot better than Angler, but I also love fishing, so being able to earn more later on doing it gives me incentive to continue.

Combat: Fighter, Defender. I’d rather have better base damage than higher crit chance, and I’m not very good at fighting, so the extra 25HP for insurance is nice to have.