Unofficial mod updates

Pathoschild

Planter
Unofficial updates fix mod compatibility when the author is away. This thread lets you download and request them.

For players
How do I find the latest update?
Don't search this thread directly! Comments here might be outdated. See the SMAPI compatibility list and XNB alternatives list instead, which will link to the latest update (whether official or unofficial).​

How do I get help with a broken mod with no unofficial update?
First, see Modding:Help#Using mods on the wiki for the best places to get help.​
If that doesn't work, and the mod is incompatible and hasn't been updated in a long time and the author isn't responding to comments on the mod page, post a message in this thread and we'll help. Make sure to attach your SMAPI log after trying the mod.​

What mod types does this thread cover?
For XNB mods (the ones that manually replace game files), see migrating XNB mods to Content Patcher packs. This thread covers all other mod types.​

For mod authors
How do I create an unofficial update?
Unofficial updates use a special version format, to avoid breaking update alerts for official updates. See create an unofficial update on the wiki for more info.​
To share an unofficial update, post a comment here with...​
  • the mod name, with a link to the official mod page;
  • a list of changes you made;
  • a link to the pull request where you submitted the changes to the original author (recommended);
  • the unofficial update as a .zip file (avoid .rar or .7z for best compatibility).

Can I update a closed-source or proprietary mod?
No, only open-source mods should be updated unofficially. If you post an unofficial update for a closed-source or proprietary mod, you're violating the original author's copyright on their work. You can contact the author and suggest making their mod open-source instead (and link them to open source on the wiki for more info).​

What if the mod author is still active?
  • To fix a bug: submit a pull request or report it on the mod page instead. Unofficial updates for active compatible mods won't be listed on the mod compatibility list, so most players won't find them.
  • To fix an incompatible mod: you can technically post an unofficial update for an actively-maintained mod, but it's considered rude and some mod authors will be annoyed if you do this. Consider contacting the mod author to ask if they plan to update the mod themselves first.

How do I update my own mods?
For a SMAPI mod, see migration guides on the wiki. You can also check smapi.io/mods to know if the mod worked as of the last check (the list is updated regularly).​
For a content pack, ask the author of the framework mod that loads it (e.g. on the Content Patcher page for a Content Patcher pack). Most content packs aren't affected by game updates once the parent mod updates.​

(Continued from updating mods for Stardew Valley 1.4.)

Last edited:

Pathoschild

Planter
This update is outdated; see the mod compatibility list for the latest download.

Here's Child to NPC updated for compatibility with Content Patcher 1.17 and later (see pull request).

Changes since 1.2.0:

• Updated deprecated code so it won't break in Content Patcher 1.17.
  • Fixed Android compatibility (thanks to @kdau!).
  • Fixed its Content Patcher tokens changing value without a context update (which can cause odd behavior in content packs).
  • Simplified the code and made it more robust.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pathoschild

Planter
Here's Family Planning updated for compatibility with Content Patcher 1.17 and later (see pull request).

Changes since 1.3.2:
  • Fixed its Content Patcher tokens changing value without a context update (which can cause odd behavior in content packs).

Attachments

devoncode

Greenhorn
Here's freeDusty updated for working with Stardew Valley 1.4 / SMAPI 3.6.2.

Changes:
* no more magenta box for certain users
* when married to Alex, Dusty will not disappear anymore on certain days. He will always stay in the farm.
* prevent some unnecessary checks when the would be overridden anyways

Pull requests:

Attachments

hhharkness

Farmhand
AutoGate stopped working with the new SMAPI and the compatibility list still links the old unofficial update.
[AutoGate] This mod failed in the GameLoop.UpdateTicked event. Technical details:
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at AutoGate.ModEntry.OnUpdateTicked(Object sender, UpdateTickedEventArgs e)
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Events.ManagedEvent`1.<>c__DisplayClass16_1.<Raise>b__2() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\Events\ManagedEvent.cs:line 129
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.PerformanceMonitoring.PerformanceMonitor.Track(String collectionName, String sourceName, Action action) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\PerformanceMonitoring\PerformanceMonitor.cs:line 87
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Events.ManagedEvent`1.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<Raise>b__1() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\Events\ManagedEvent.cs:line 129

Thummiepurple

Greenhorn

gongsa

Newcomer

dreamarche

Newcomer
This is the error log that I get when I try loading the game with this mod. I'm new to PC Stardew and having mods, so I have no idea how to try and fix this

[ChildToNPC] Mod crashed on entry and might not work correctly. Technical details:
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Can't parse JSON file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Mods\ChildToNPC\config.json. This doesn't seem to be valid JSON.
Technical details: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: s. Path 'ChildParentPairs', line 6, position 22.
at StardewModdingAPI.Toolkit.Serialization.JsonHelper.ReadJsonFileIfExists[TModel](String fullPath, TModel& result) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI.Toolkit\Serialization\JsonHelper.cs:line 74
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ModHelpers.DataHelper.ReadJsonFile[TModel](String path) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\ModHelpers\DataHelper.cs:line 53
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ModHelpers.ModHelper.ReadConfig[TConfig]() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\ModHelpers\ModHelper.cs:line 98
at ChildToNPC.ModEntry.Entry(IModHelper helper) in C:\source\_Stardew\Mods.ChildToNPC\ChildToNPC\ModEntry.cs:line 77
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.LoadMods(IModMetadata[] mods, JsonHelper jsonHelper, ContentCoordinator contentCore, ModDatabase modDatabase) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 843

Pathoschild

Planter
@Cattrya @lilan castel The unofficial update only updates Content Patcher token logic, it shouldn't have any effect on the actual children. Can you come ask in #using-mods on Discord so we can run some tests? (Feel free to ping me there if you don't get an answer.)

@dreamarche Your config.json file has invalid text, probably due to a mistake when you were editing it. You can just delete the file and it'll generate a new one next time you launch the game.

Last edited:

ElizaYami

Newcomer
Here's Family Planning updated for compatibility with Content Patcher 1.17 and later (see pull request).

Changes since 1.3.2:
Can you please make this work in multiplayer? it doesn't seem to work when you marry another farmer T~T