Train annoyance

Rhiannon

Farmer
Does anyone else get super annoyed when you drop everything like being in the middle of the first spring planting on the first day of spring, and you get the notice that a train is going through town, you run as fast as your little legs will go and you get absolutely nothing for your trouble? The last 2 out of 3 trains have done this to me. I feel like the train operator should get a stern talking to...

imnvs

Local Legend
I only go if I'm nearby already. My farm isn't close enough. In the backwoods north of the farm or the mountains, maybe Robin's? Okay. Anywhere else? Not worth the time and effort.

When close, though, it's worth checking out. I've got some decent stuff, but it often enough drops nothing.

Lew Zealand

Helper
In my current Multiplayer farm, an early Year 1 Summer train seemed to drop nothing but 12 rocks but I patiently waited (read: rested under a tree, the Lazy way) until the interminable thing passed and lo and behold 2 pairs of Leprechaun Boots were revealed on the other side of the tracks. And these were better than the Leather Boots both of us were using at the time, so that was a decent score.

And I look pretty fantastic in green.

starbrite

Sodbuster
There's only been one time in my playthrough where the train was useful and dropped a lot of wood for me, but every other time it hasn't ever dropped anything. The only thing I really get out of it is seeing the cool graffiti on it lol.

Anhaga

Rancher
In my current Multiplayer farm, an early Year 1 Summer train seemed to drop nothing but 12 rocks but I patiently waited (read: rested under a tree, the Lazy way) until the interminable thing passed and lo and behold 2 pairs of Leprechaun Boots were revealed on the other side of the tracks. And these were better than the Leather Boots both of us were using at the time, so that was a decent score.

And I look pretty fantastic in green.
I've had the Leprechaun boots drop as well . . . that's the carrot that keeps me desperately running back every time I see message. I think I might start keeping mountain totems in my inventory just because.

Odin

Staff member
Yeah, I always ignore the train unless I'm already up in the mountain area or I don't have anything I wanted to get done that day. Especially the later you get in game, the less useful anything it drops will be. It can be fun just to watch it pass by though!

Horsepipe

Farmhand
A couple of times I got caught in a cutscene while trying to see the train passing through. By the time the scene is over...well, I can go to the sauna, I guess...🤷‍♀️
Haha yes this happened to me. Once I ran fast enough so that I would of got to see the front. But due to a cutscene I could see the smoke from the engine go past without any train, which was only slightly creepy...

shurpresa

Tiller
Guys, you don´t need to run asap to the train to see it going by.

According to the wiki, the items will stay there if dropped until night.

"While the train cars pass by, items such as Leprechaun Shoes, Stone, Coal, Iron Ore, Wood and Geodes may fall off and be acquired. The player need not be present when the train goes by, but dropped items will disappear overnight, so they must be collected the same day. The train will pass by and drop items even if the game is paused. "