Tip: First day of a season planting made easier

redbobcat

Rancher
This is what I do to make planting on a first day of a season easier. Note, I do use sprinkles, as soon as I can make at least the quality ones.
  1. Preparation. Every season, except Fall, I gather foraging items and make seasonal Wild Seeds. I also always keep any Mixed Seeds I get.
  2. Pre-planting. In the last couple of days of Spring, Summer, or Winter I till any plant free field and seed it with wild seeds, mixed seeds, or when lacking those, any cheap non-multiseasonal crop I can buy. Don’t bother watering, they will die anyway when season turns.
  3. Planting. On a first day of a season all my fields are covered in dead plants that are quick and easy to scythe off. Under that the soil is already tilled and watered and ready for planting. Plant away!
A few more notes. In winter you can only plant winter seeds, Wild Seeds (Wi). This is the season I put the most effort into gathering foraging items and making seeds. I don’t bother making fall seeds since you don’t grow crops in winter.

Last edited:

purrfeccat

Sodbuster
This is what I do to make planting on a first day of a season easier. Note, I do use sprinkles, as soon as I can make at least the quality ones.
  1. Preparation. Every season, except Fall, I gather foraging items and make seasonal Wild Seeds. I also always keep any Mixed Seeds I get.
  2. Pre-planting. In the last couple of days of Spring, Summer, or Winter I till any plant free field and seed it with wild seeds, mixed seeds, or when lacking those, any cheap non-multiseasonal crop I can buy. Don’t bother watering, they will die anyway when season turns.
  3. Planting. On a first day of a season all my fields are covered in dead plants that are quick and easy to scythe off. Under that the soil is already tilled and watered and ready for planting. Plant away!
A few more notes. In winter you can only plant winter seeds, Wild Seeds (Wi). This is the season I put the most effort into gathering foraging items and making seeds. I don’t bother making fall seeds since you don’t grow crops in winter. Also personally I don’t use fertilizer, at all.
Great idea! Thank you very much! ❤

Lew Zealand

Helper
I only recently learned of this technique but failed to set it up properly before the Su-Fa transition and had to till/water 166 spaces (at least the corn stays alive). One at a time as no upgrades on the hoe or can. After I'm done at 12:30am, the following morning I remember that I upgraded the can and could have been done loads earlier.

This is the problem picking up a save after 11 months away.

Don't use wild seeds, except for the winter to spring changeover, when winter seeds are the only available choice.

Spring and summer seeds can both be sold, and replacements bought, for much less money. Use parsnips at the end of spring, and hot pepper at the end of summer.

Using mixed seeds at the end of summer is also not a good idea, because you can get wheat and corn, both of which will continue to grow into fall, disrupting your plans for fall crops. Mixed seeds should only be used at the end of spring.

Tom

Farmer
[good stuff]
I'm here to report I did this this week during Winter 1, farming Wild Seeds. And I plan to leave El Cheapo brand Parsnip seeds in the ground at end of Spring and Hot Pepper (painful, but worth it; by then I will be working with millions monthly) at end of Summer. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rotan

Sodbuster
Nice to see im not the only one that does that. I found out kinda by accident in winter once when I planted my stuff to late. Makes huge farms getting planted on day 1 more realistic.

Using mixed seeds at the end of summer is also not a good idea, because you can get wheat and corn, both of which will continue to grow into fall, disrupting your plans for fall crops. Mixed seeds should only be used at the end of spring.
TBF you can just use an axe on them and your good to go.