Stop time during cutscenes in co-op

KactusNZ

Cowpoke
This is one of my biggest peeves in multiplayer as well. The other being how much harder combat is, as the enemies don't pause briefly when you're eating etc.

Cephlin

Newcomer
Bump.

This is required so badly.

Just make it work like it does on local coop mode, since that system is just great. If all players are in an action or event where time would pause then it pauses, otherwise it continues.

Please fix this!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I agree that cutscenes involving all players should stop time, or should at least not have the potential to result in everyone passing out.

I like the idea of an option to pause time for all players when one player is in a cutscene. There are pros and cons to both settings.

Time stops while I'm in the cutscene:
1. My friend has to wait while I go through it (it's my first time through and I haven't seen everything).
2. I don't lose half the day.

Time doesn't stop while I'm in the cutscene:
1. My friend can continue playing and maybe do the thing I was planning to do before the cutscene popped up.
2. I lose half the day.

Making global pause an option in settings would be great.
There's a whole bunch of cut scenes and events during the game. In co-op, some of them are shared; some (like heart events) are only seen by one player. The problem is that time keeps moving, often resulting in at least one player passing out if the cut scene continues past 2 am.

Here's one example I found particularly annoying. I just finished the Community Center with a friend. The next day there's a lengthy cut scene in the evening/at night, which means both players are guaranteed to pass out as soon as it ends. That can't be how it's intended.

Stopping time during such shared events shouldn't be too difficult a change to implement. But even with heart events that involve just one player, I would suggest showing the other player(s) a "Waiting for other players (1/2)" for the duration of the cut scene - like it does at the end of a day. Or at least make it an option in the settings. The way it's being handled now is anything but ideal.
Yea, fair enough. In the end, this is about the players having fun. While it's understandable that the game will keep going, even when the game is paused, cutscenes are a different category.

The way I see it, there are 3 options.

1. Let time continue while a cutscene goes on. This can mess up core gameplay. So is probably the worst option.
2. Pause the game for all the other players while an individual cutscene is going on. This can be really annoying to players that are not watching the cutscene, or don't want to watch the cutscene for the hundredth time.
3. Pause the clock (not the game). Let the other players continue to play while someone is watching a cutscene. Freeze all the npcs that were moving but let them continue to interact. Can unbalance the game a bit by giving players more time to do their day. Cutscenes tend to only be a minute or two, although there is the issue of someone cheating the system by deliberately not finishing a cutscene. Therefore text box choices would have to be on a timer, and scenes where you move around, such as playing a video game with Abby (generally speaking, this is probably the longest cutscene) would need to be automated so that it can't be going on for 5-10+ minutes.

If I'm looking at the three. I'll pick the third option. It will make the day longer, and may be unbalanced, but this solution is less likely to annoy people than the other two options. You could also just have it be a partial issue by only kicking in the cutscene pause once you pass midnight, or something. The main issue is a cutscene going past 2am, right?

Oh! I guess there is also Meeshell's suggestion. I should have read that more carefully before making my post, since that actually sounds like the easiest solution.

That seems like the smallest fix that takes care of the main issue, which appears to be the exhaustion mechanic. I might be missing something, given I've never played multi, but assuming my assumption is right, then I've changed my mind. I'll vote for that.

On another note, what happens when a player goes to sleep, is he on pause until all the other players also go to sleep? *edit: Found out you go into a waiting mode.* If that is the case, maybe a free roving camera should be added for sleeping players so they can wander the island, or maybe create a ghost avatar that can only affect things in the house? This lets the player have some time to decorate the house or move things around while waiting for everyone else to finish their day. When the new day starts the avatar player will continue to be in the same spot he was working beforehand. If you teleport the player into bed, it might mess something up.
Actually, when all players are paused, cutscenes counting as pausing, the game does actually pasue so instead of having the waiting for other players sign, you could just ask your friend to pause the game and wait for you.
This is especially good in the SC as when both players pause you can take a small break which is sometimes needed in the early game.
Good luck.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
This is one of my biggest peeves in multiplayer as well. The other being how much harder combat is, as the enemies don't pause briefly when you're eating etc.
You are invincible durign the animation though so you can time when you eat so you don't take damage.

Cephlin

Newcomer
Actually, when all players are paused, cutscenes counting as pausing, the game does actually pasue so instead of having the waiting for other players sign, you could just ask your friend to pause the game and wait for you.
This is especially good in the SC as when both players pause you can take a small break which is sometimes needed in the early game.
Good luck.
When all players are in a cutscene time does not pause in online multiplayer, only coop.

Mosita

Newcomer
Bump.

This is required so badly.

Just make it work like it does on local coop mode, since that system is just great. If all players are in an action or event where time would pause then it pauses, otherwise it continues.

Please fix this!

Yes I would love a fix to this, my fiance and I downloaded the game and love it but we find ourselves freaking out when a cutscene happens to one of us, especially when it's late in the day and we're far from home😫💔 we end up getting annoyed and miss out important information because we are trying to end the scene to get back home ASAP so please add some kind of fix, or even a relaxed mode to the local co-op mode.

Making global pause an option in settings would be great.
Optional group pause is a great solution.

If this option were added, could they also give the players not watching the cutscene the option to see it? If I agree to pause the game while someone else is in a cutscene, I wouldn’t mind rewatching a scene until I can play again.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I've played RTSs that have optional group pause, and that's when you're trying to kill each other. I don't see why we couldn't do it here *shrugs*. If Ape ever decides to make another patch i think it would be a great addition.

Cultist O

Greenhorn
This continues to be a major issue. I feel like I have to race through the cut-scenes, and even then, we're regularly passing out and/or missing the days plans because of them.