Riverland Farm layouts?

cowvinzheng

Greenhorn
I know compared to other layouts this has the least optimal amount of space for farming, but I'm determined to make it nice. Does anyone have any tips with what they do on each of the islands? I currently just have them all as farming spaces but I'd slowly like to move towards being more intentional with the available space.

Journi

Planter
Let me know how this turns out, because I'm definitely interested in playing this layout, since fishing is my favorite thing to do. :D
I would the biggest island for the animals.

Onenote

Sodbuster
I've seen some fun farm builds where they use the bigger islands to hold their farm animals which save on fencing cause they just need to keep the bridge under lock and key. Smaller islands are good for fruit trees or machines (windmills, silos, things like that). Maybe even put a fish pond on some of the smaller islands?

yuruwu

Greenhorn
As a beginner, Ipicked the Riverland layout and it was really dumb but I got used to it. I used the center island for my animals, the island with the port can be used for fish ponds, the main island can be for crops and the grass part for some buildings/machines. The rest is up to you.

Nupid

Greenhorn
I started my first farm on Riverlands as well and really ended up regretting it. I spent so many hours trying to come up with smart layouts that are also effective and always had to go for compromises. I ended up making something that is a lot more aesthetic than functional and moved on to another layout.

The biggest issue is that huge plot of non tillable land on the main island as well as the area in front of the house just being a few tiles too small to make a nice field. If you like big fields or having lots of animals the main and center islands are the only real options you have. Then you can dedicate the other small islands for other purposes like beehives, sheds, trees. If you don't want to max out your coops or barns or don't care about letting your animals outside you can also place them on the different islands.

In order to maximize the space you have to use a lot of sheds or cabins that friends upgrade for you and keep all processing etc. inside of them so you can have more fields or other production in the outside area. You could totally move all trees outside of the farm unless you want more than the 16 fruit trees you can put into your greenhouse to get a little more space as well.

wickedsodaa_

Greenhorn
I've seen some fun farm builds where they use the bigger islands to hold their farm animals which save on fencing cause they just need to keep the bridge under lock and key. Smaller islands are good for fruit trees or machines (windmills, silos, things like that). Maybe even put a fish pond on some of the smaller islands?
i did almost all of the island and there's just one more island left, it's the one that has the road to Cindersap Forest. any idea what can i do with it?

Anhaga

Rancher
This is the layout I'm working toward with my river farm. I do currently have a couple of trees behind the greenhouse, but I'm putting the main body of my fruit trees in the greenhouse. I will likely squish another fishpond or two into the layout somewhere.
stardewplanner-riverfarm.png

estewanini

Sodbuster
I just bought the game 2 weeks ago, chose the riverland farm first save but so far I've loved it. I don't mind the scarceness of the lands, I prefer it over the wide open field of the regular one which I used for my second file. Sure, the asymmetry of the islands can be a bit annoying but it does lend for more creative designing. I think advantages you could use are crab pots - especially if you chose the trapper profession - and rice shoots. since they don't need to be watered if you plant them at least 5 tiles away from a body of water.

stardewplanner-20200916.png

This is my swamp farm so far (excuse the cutout buildings, I'm really new to farm planner and I'm playing in the switch). What I would do differently is to place the barns and coop on the mainland to make use of the dead space next to the greenhouse, otherwise I'm a happy camper :3

EDIT: Using a helpful post in this forum, my pea brain has finally found the rendering button in the planner.

Last edited: