Real Life Farming Life

SgtPickles

Tiller
At the moment, I just have crops and duckos. Nine female Indian Runner duckos to be exact. Currently have them free roaming. I just have to make sure no bald eagles attempt to swoop on them, or coyotes attempt to snack on them (I can shoot the coyotes, but not the bald eagle. So if the eagle swoops, there is nothing I can do.)

1588711346786.png

Potatoes

Farmer
Oh my! Those pictures are wonderful!! We just have a little container garden in front of our house and some herbs on the side. It’s been a dream of mine to own a little house with enough land for chickens and bees, maybe a goat and a lot of room for crops.

Cue Ball

Cowpoke
Oh my! Those pictures are wonderful!! We just have a little container garden in front of our house and some herbs on the side. It’s been a dream of mine to own a little house with enough land for chickens and bees, maybe a goat and a lot of room for crops.
Would love to see pics of it! I love looking at small little gardens too.

Potatoes

Farmer
Would love to see pics of it! I love looking at small little gardens too.
20200528_142559.jpg

Here's some chives, tomatoes, mint, beets, and potatoes that just sprouted.

20200528_142620.jpg

Some flowers on the porch

20200528_142639.jpg

Here's some herbs and an amaryllis plant.

There's also some chard and strawberries growing in some random spots in our yard. We've got the room to plant a ton of stuff but we have to move in August so I'm gonna enjoy what little garden i have for now

Anhaga

Rancher
No full farm right now, though in the past we lived on 14 acres and had chickens, turkeys, and pigs. At the current time we live in a small city and have our yard stuffed full of garden beds:

A garden bed with 4 sections outlined in concrete blocks. Corn, mint, beans, and flowers grow in the sections.

This is the 3 sisters bed--it has corn, beans, and different kinds of curcurbits (hubbard squash, jack-o-lantern pumpkins, watermelons, and pie pumpkins) in the main sections and mint, oregano, nasturtium, marigolds, and borage around the edges.

6 raised garden beds with tomatoes, peas, garlic, and other plants growing in them. Grow-bags with potatoes and peppers sit near the beds.

These are the back yard raised beds. I've got tomatoes and basil in the closest one on the left and cucumbers , basil, sunflowers, and peppers in the one behind it. The middle pair has peas (snow, snap, and shell), carrots, and spinach in the closer one, and chard, kale, zucchini, and yellow crookneck squash are in the back of that pair. The right-side pair (with the potatoes in grow bags next to them) both have garlic as the current main crop, as well as radishes, carrots, and parsnips. Ignore the evil blackberry tangle in the front left corner.

A garden bed with three tall cardoon plants with serrated silver-gray leaves. A tiny pumpkin plant nestles between two of the larger plants.

This is the last of the back yard beds--it's got the cardoon (an artichoke relative where you eat the stems rather than the flowers) that was trying to eat my asparagus plants in one of my front beds as well as a volunteer plant that I think is probably a jack-o-lantern pumpkin (that came with the compost we applied this year).

I've got more beds in the front yard--that's where my asparagus, artichokes, and most herbs are. We've got a good size yard for a city plot, and we're doing our best to get rid of all the grass and turn it into garden. Eventually we plan to get chickens, but since it's going to cost a bit to get an adequate coop and run set up, we're putting that on hold until my husband's job situation settles down.

Potatoes

Farmer
No full farm right now, though in the past we lived on 14 acres and had chickens, turkeys, and pigs. At the current time we live in a small city and have our yard stuffed full of garden beds:

View attachment 719
This is the 3 sisters bed--it has corn, beans, and different kinds of curcurbits (hubbard squash, jack-o-lantern pumpkins, watermelons, and pie pumpkins) in the main sections and mint, oregano, nasturtium, marigolds, and borage around the edges.

View attachment 720

These are the back yard raised beds. I've got tomatoes and basil in the closest one on the left and cucumbers , basil, sunflowers, and peppers in the one behind it. The middle pair has peas (snow, snap, and shell), carrots, and spinach in the closer one, and chard, kale, zucchini, and yellow crookneck squash are in the back of that pair. The right-side pair (with the potatoes in grow bags next to them) both have garlic as the current main crop, as well as radishes, carrots, and parsnips. Ignore the evil blackberry tangle in the front left corner.

View attachment 721

This is the last of the back yard beds--it's got the cardoon (an artichoke relative where you eat the stems rather than the flowers) that was trying to eat my asparagus plants in one of my front beds as well as a volunteer plant that I think is probably a jack-o-lantern pumpkin (that came with the compost we applied this year).

I've got more beds in the front yard--that's where my asparagus, artichokes, and most herbs are. We've got a good size yard for a city plot, and we're doing our best to get rid of all the grass and turn it into garden. Eventually we plan to get chickens, but since it's going to cost a bit to get an adequate coop and run set up, we're putting that on hold until my husband's job situation settles down.
That's amazing! Definitely inspiring.

Anhaga

Rancher
That's amazing! Definitely inspiring.
Thanks! It's taken about 3 years to assemble and we had to moderate our ambitions each year since we really only had the weekends to work on them. Our first full summer in this house was in 2018; that was when we put in the first 3 raised beds in the back. Last year we made the other 3 raised beds in the back, created one in the front, and dug 3 in-ground beds in the front yard. This year we finally made that big bed with the corn. Simply having 6 beds already made and basically ready to go has made the whole process so much smoother this year . . . I'm actually getting plants put in and seeds planted within the recommended windows, rather than late and already moving into the dry season. It's funny how much better plants grow when you start them while the days are in the 60s-70s F, not 80s-90s.

Edited to fix my timeline. My memory grows faulty with age.

Last edited:

Potatoes

Farmer
Thanks! It's taken about 3 years to assemble and we had to moderate our ambitions each year since we really only had the weekends to work on them. Our first full summer in this house was in 2017; that was when we put in the first 3 raised beds in the back. We used those in 2017 and 2018, then last year made the other 3 raised beds in the back, created one in the front, and dug 3 in-ground beds in the front yard. This year we finally made that big bed with the corn. Simply having 6 beds already made and basically ready to go has made the whole process so much smoother this year . . . I'm actually getting plants put in and seeds planted within the recommended windows, rather than late and already moving into the dry season. It's funny how much better plants grow when you start them while the days are in the 60s-70s F, not 80s-90s.
Nice! We‘be lived in this house since 2015 and have slowly expanded the garden each year. We’ve got a big bed we dug out next to the fence, and a spot we grew some corn last year as well as some garden beds next to the house. Unfortunately we’ve had some issues with our landlords, but at least we already found a place to move when our lease is up in a few months. One day we’ll own our own house and slowly start making our garden there. Hopefully we’ll be able to harvest what we planted before we move and we’l be able to take a few of the pots with us too. Either way it’s always fun every year seeing what we can grow (even if we’re not the best at it)

Also I totally agree about the temperature when planting :love:

Anhaga

Rancher
Renting definitely makes it difficult! We're lucky . . . even though we rent, my mom is our landlord (the house we're in is her investment), so she's happy to let us garden as long as we do it in a way that improves the house and yard. The last time we rented from a landlord we didn't know, we just had grow-bags of tomatoes. :happy: Of course, I'm now wondering why we didn't bother to do grow-bags of potatoes as well . . . our potatoes really like the grow-bags.

And I just had to fix my timeline. We moved to our current city in 2016, but not to this house until 2017. I was wondering why there was a year in there without significant garden improvements . . .