Pets accompany you + Pet abilities

Would you want this added?

• Yes!

• Maybe

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I made a post a little bit ago about pets bringing the player gifts at random, it got allot of great feedback and seemed to be quite a popular and well-received idea. I thought to myself, why stop there?

In this post I will explain how pets could accompany the player and even help them with special abilities.

There will be a new option to allow your pet to accompany you throughout the day. If you would like your pet to accompany you, right click the pet after petting them and an option will pop up which will ask if you want your pet to accompany you throughout the day. If at any time, you want to send your pet home, simply choose the "Go Home" option and they will return to the farm.

Pets will now have special abilities that can be unlocked at certain levels of hearts. Some can only be used once a day.

When choosing a pet ability to activate, a small selection box will pop up.

1 full heart: Foraging Friend. Using this ability will cause your pet to run to the nearest forgeable item on the map (berry bushes do not count) This can only be used 3 times a day.

2 full hearts: Artifact Dig. If you see an artifact spot, right click your pet, choose "Artifact Dig" and select the artifact spot you want dug up. This ability can be used 3 times a day.

This can be useful for conserving energy or if your hoe is being worked on by Clint. Pets cannot till toil, only artifact spots.

3 Full hearts: Pet Love. Using this ability at 3 hearts it will restore 35 health and 50 energy. At 4 hearts it will restore 45 health and 75 energy. At 5 hearts it will restore 55 health and 100 energy. This ability can only be used once a day.

Along with the Pet Love ability at 3 hearts, your pet can now accompany you in the mines to help you fight. Both dogs and cats can come along to the mines to help you fight. Your pets cannot die in battle but their attack damage can be reduced as they lose health. If their health hits 0, they will be unable to fight and will instead just follow the player. Their base attack damage will increase as they gain more hearts. At 3 hearts they will do 15 damage at full health, at 4 hearts they can deal deal 30 damage at full health and at 5 hearts they can deal 50 damage at full health. Pets can be healed with "treats" which can be purchased from Marnie when you reach 3 hearts with your pet. There are different treats, from a simple treat which will restore only health, to big and expensive treats that can buff your pet with more attack damage and speed, similar to how cooked meals can give us status buffs.

4 full hearts: Furry Friendship. Using this ability can offer a villager to pet your dog or cat which will earn you 50 friendship points as if you gave them a loved gift. This can be used on one person a day and cannot be used again on the same person again in the same week. Example, Penny cannot pet your dog or cat more than once a week but you can have multiple people pet your dog or cat once over the course of a week. Penny on Sunday, then Shane on Monday, then Gus on Tuesday, then Jodi on Wednesday, etc. (This ability will not work on Pierre due to his allergies to animals)

5 full hearts: Helping Paws. Using this ability will make your pet collect items from the closest machines, kegs, preserves jars, lightning rods and more. Your pet can collect up to 30 items and can be collected from them by left-clicking them. This ability can only be used once a day.

I really want to get more out of our pets in future updates, giving them special abilities and helping us in battle I could see being very useful.

Last edited:

Person090

Planter
I made a post a little bit ago about pets bringing the player gifts at random, it got allot of great feedback and seemed to be quite a popular and well-received idea. I thought to myself, why stop there?

In this post I will explain how pets could accompany the player and even help them with special abilities.

There will be a new option to allow your pet to accompany you throughout the day. If you would like your pet to accompany you, right click the pet after petting them and an option will pop up which will ask if you want your pet to accompany you throughout the day. If at any time, you want to send your pet home, simply choose the "Go Home" option and they will return to the farm.

Pets will now have special abilities that can be unlocked at certain levels of hearts. Some can only be used once a day.

When choosing a pet ability to activate, a small selection box will pop up.

1 full heart: Foraging Friend. Using this ability will cause your pet to run to the nearest forgeable item on the map (berry bushes do not count) This can only be used 3 times a day.

2 full hearts: Artifact Dig. If you see an artifact spot, right click your pet, choose "Artifact Dig" and select the artifact spot you want dug up. This ability can be used 3 times a day.

This can be useful for conserving energy or if your hoe is being worked on by Clint. Pets cannot till toil, only artifact spots.

3 Full hearts: Pet Love. Using this ability at 3 hearts it will restore 35 health and 50 energy. At 4 hearts it will restore 45 health and 75 energy. At 5 hearts it will restore 55 health and 100 energy. This ability can only be used once a day.

Along with the Pet Love ability at 3 hearts, your pet can now accompany you in the mines to help you fight. Both dogs and cats can come along to the mines to help you fight. Your pets cannot die in battle but their attack damage can be reduced as they lose health. If their health hits 0, they will be unable to fight and will instead just follow the player. Their base attack damage will increase as they gain more hearts. At 3 hearts they will do 15 damage at full health, at 4 hearts they can deal deal 30 damage at full health and at 5 hearts they can deal 50 damage at full health. Pets can be healed with "treats" which can be purchased from Marnie when you reach 3 hearts with your pet. There are different treats, from a simple treat which will restore only health, to big and expensive treats that can buff your pet with more attack damage and speed, similar to how cooked meals can give us status buffs.

4 full hearts: Furry Friendship. Using this ability can offer a villager to pet your dog or cat which will earn you 50 friendship points as if you gave them a loved gift. This can be used on one person a day and cannot be used again on the same person again in the same week. Example, Penny cannot pet your dog or cat more than once a week but you can have multiple people pet your dog or cat once over the course of a week. Penny on Sunday, then Shane on Monday, then Gus on Tuesday, then Jodi on Wednesday, etc. (This ability will not work on Pierre due to his allergies to animals)

5 full hearts: Helping Paws. Using this ability will make your pet collect items from the closest machines, kegs, preserves jars, lightning rods and more. Your pet can collect up to 30 items and can be collected from them by left-clicking them. This ability can only be used once a day.

I really want to get more out of our pets in future updates, giving them special abilities and helping us in battle I could see being very useful.
Cool, pets are cute yet useless rn except for grandpa’s evaluation

Yes I’d love my dog to come with me everywhere like she does irl. Except the mines. Too dangerous for her. Everywhere else, even Ginger Island would be great. 😍

Hani

Tiller
I love this idea and I will expand upon it with my own suggestions:
- Ability to have more than 1 pet
- Constructible (outdoor) pet houses to allow for more than 2 pets
- A taming system, with rare pets spawning in the wild (caves, secret woods, fishing, running around, hiding in trash cans, etc...). Along with a sneaking system to sneak up on the harder ones to tame, and various taming strategies that depend on each pet type (ie: dropping food on the ground, sneaking up on it and grabbing it from behind, using a fishing rod with magnetic bobber on land, etc.. be creative)
- An animal shelter with a couple new single NPCs working there, that gives you specific quests related to catching stray pets, and tracks your "pokedex" completion if that's a thing you're into, similar to the adventurers' guild.
- New pet types of course (ie: trash panda, pink serpent, prismatic crab, rooster, etc....)

Odin

Staff member
Some relevant lines from the 1.6 changelog:
(Last line gives away a new type of pet, so I've added an additional spoiler.)
  • You can now get multiple pets (after getting max hearts with your starter pet).
  • Pets that love you will sometimes give you gifts.
  • Added an animals tab that shows all your pets & animals.
  • You can now build pet bowls in Robin’s shop, with three variants.
  • Added turtle pets.